Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 19:20   #1

Sailing From New England In The Winter?

I moved from New England to North Carolina for the winter/spring and was planning to sail down and then enjoy the long sailing season here. But first my crew backed out, I got the flu, decided to sail solo and the day I was to leave Sandy started heading north. After Sandy I couldn't imagine trying to duck into NJ shore if needed - eg Sandy Hook...-- as they were a wreck. It was getting to be Nov. and I had to move. So I left my boat in CT
Here I am in Beaufort NC, the weather is beautiful and my boat is sitting in CT...

So I am wondering if anyone has ever sailed south in the middle of the winter. I have this crazy idea that if I can see a window of relatively warm (for winter) days... But of course it's winter and storms come fast...

Anyone done this? Can you offer experience? Is it crazy to be even thinking about doing it? Should I just resign myself..,?

(No I can't afford to have it trailered down....)

Thanks
scarduner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 19:45   #2

Boat: O'Day 28
Re: sailing from New England in the winter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarduner View Post
So I am wondering if anyone has ever sailed south in the middle of the winter. I have this crazy idea that if I can see a window of relatively warm (for winter) days... But of course it's winter and storms come fast...

Thanks
You're kidding, right?

BTW, winter starts around 12/21. But this year I guess we'll all be dead by 12/22. You can make it if you start soon.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 19:46   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Beaufort can get pretty cold in the winter.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 20:16   #4
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Your best bet was to have left right after sandy. Sure sandy screwed NJ and New Yorks coast, but it wouldnt really make travel by boat any different. The latest I've left northern vermont is nov. 12th with no issues except for heat. This year I left the upper hudson a day after sandy and will be in st. augustine FL tomorrow. It's been posted a few times that sandy caused people not to leave because of storm damage, maybe only if you were going to take the subway.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:03   #5

Boat: 1975 Pearson 35
Re: Sailing From New England In The Winter?

Well how the winters have been going around here, Maine, if you can line up a few marinas on the way that you leave the boat for a few months if need be, say NY area, then Barnagut, Cape May, upper Chessy,
What is the boat? your skills? solo? does boat have heat?
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 14:48   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

The two most important things, IMO, are choosing your weather windows and keeping warm and dry. That means being able to hole up someplace on the way and having a well stocked larder, good heater, offshore clothing and synthetic undergarments, dressing in layers and eating good, nourishing food. Things like kayaking boots and fishing gloves will help keep your hands and feet warm. A heater core connected to your engine would help keep the cabin warm and dry whenever you are motoring.

Sea kayaking with SeaKayakPhoto.com: Sea kayaking foot wear: long term test.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 15:00   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Sure, lots of people have done it. You do have to be careful about choosing your weather, dressing for the winter, and having heat onboard would be nice. Cape May on the Jersey shore wasn't hit too bad, Atlantic City is doable too. Do not sail beyond your weather forecast. If you go into the Chesapeake you can daysail it the rest of the way, though I would try to go offshore down to Norfolk if the weather allowed. Getting fuel might not be possible at many marinas until you reach the Chesapeake.

Tags
England, sailing, england