Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2011, 13:14   #1

Boat: Southern Cross 31'
Sailing from New Orleans to the Yucatan

I'm planning a sailing trip from New Orleans to the Yucatan. I'm looking for any information on best routes, expected time of travel, and any general advice. I'm also looking for more local marinas than the tourist hot spots of cozumel and cancun. Any help is much appreciated.
southerncross31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 13:16   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: Sailing from New Orleans to the Yucatan

Do you have a time of year in mind?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 13:18   #3

I am planning on leaving in mid-May.
Old 23-03-2011, 13:23   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We're doing the same trip, debating leaving from galveston or doing the ditch over to MRGO.
South from there.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 17:11   #5

Wow and in a very similar design by Gilmer. Sloop or ketch? When were y'all planning on leaving and what route??
Old 23-03-2011, 17:21   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We are in the Ketch. Not sure yet about departure date as we plan on sailing locally (houston) for a few weeks to de-bug the boat. New standing and running rigging, new sails, new windvane...on and on.
When we do take off we'll be heading to isla Mujeres direct (hopefully). Wind forecasts will play a role in out departure from the river or Galveston.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 16:03   #7

Boat: Juet 37 1979. Named Vyndi
Hello! I'm a local sailor in the Yucatan and live in the port of Progreso. I consider May to be a good time for sailing around this area, since the further you go into summer, the wins begin to die down a little. April and May are very windy months. Wins mainly from the south east, but also north east. Just as an example I'm in my terrace now by the ocean, and is blowing 18 knts. NW. The eastern tip of the Peninsula where Cancun and Isla Mujeres are, is very touristic, and also incredibly beautiful, but since you are coming from Texas, I suggest you make a stop at Progreso which is on the northern side of the Peninsula of Yucatan, and is much less touristic, and more like the real Mexico. It also has good marinas and services, and is the entry way to the city of Merida which you'll love to see. Ohh and forgot to tell you is very safe here!!! Nothing like the border areas.
Poncene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 16:29   #8

Boat: Juet 37 1979. Named Vyndi
I suggest you search for Yucatan cruising guide on google. There is also a published book called "Cruising guide to Belize and Mexico's carebeean coast" that you can also find online and is very descriptive of places to go with detail charts and explanations. But in only covers the eastern side of the Yucatan and all the way down to Guatemala. It skips the northern shore of the Yucatan.
Poncene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 16:45   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when we sailed out of slidell to go to isla mujeres, we went via dry tortugas-- from there is a straight shot across to isla... i would have done it differently in my ketch-- i can take winds and seas better than the sloop i sailed with last yr--i would go to pensacola then straight to isla.......seems to be the best way to void the mississippi delta area

check passage weather for seas and winds -
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:50   #10

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Looking at the gulf stream map, (right now), west of the missisippi seems to have a more favorable current for going south. It that true most of the year? April seems like a good time to go as far as Texas coast weather, if you leave in between cold fronts.

If anyone is planning on going this spring I would be interested in a buddy boat.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 08:33   #11

Boat: Hunter 42

Just found this thread and we are also in New Orleans and planning to go the Western Caribbean this Spring. Our thought is to go to Florida, have friends in Key West, then over to Isla. Would love to chat with others going.
Also thanks Poncene for Progresso tip.
wahoo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:15   #12

I wasn't able to take off last year but I am departing New Orleans single handed on May 10th and heading straight to Isla Mujeres. The Regatta al Sol is departing May 9-10th from Pensacola to Isla. When returning I was planning on circling back and stopping in Havana, the Bahamas, and Miami. Or I might do a clockwise circle through the gulf instead. Haven't decided yet. All I know is I'm leaving May 10th and sailing for around a month. Does anyone have recent information on traveling to Cuba? Anything special I should be aware of?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:01   #13

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have done it a couple of times from west of the river (miss) stright to Isla M. never had a problem in either april or may it's a pretty simple sail really. keep a GOOD lookout theres a lot of other vessels out there fishin and such so it requires a little change in course some times just to give em a lot of room !! Have fun we always do !! and if you stop at Cancun be sure to go to the Takill ya factory !! they have 2 killas that together make the worlds best Margarita !! stock up if ya like em YUMMM Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:38   #14

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
US tourists still cannot legally travel to Cuba. However, those restrictions are placed by the US government, Cuba is glad to have you and will issue tourist visas on arrival while refraining from stamping your passport. Cuba is still a totalitarian regime on the one hand - pretty safe overalbuts till of concern; and on the other hand the US government may impose heavy fines if they found out.

Tags
new orleans, sailing, yucatan