Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2019, 09:54   #31

Boat: Atkins,Island Princess. 37ft
Unhappy Re: Sailing from the US to Europe right now. What do you think about the timing?

Wouldn't recommend it. Some years ago I sailed from Boston to Ireland via Azores arriving in mid November. We had seven severe gales! Lesser sailers couldn't have done it!
Maclir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 10:24   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Sailing from the US to Europe right now. What do you think about the timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
. . . On the other hand, there are a few hardy souls who sail in the northern latitudes in the winter. Having said that, I don't think they are crossing in the winter. I think they are mostly coastal.

Nothing wrong with sailing up here in winter. Just pick your weather windows very, very carefully. I've just been sailing around the Oresund, and had a wonderful time, and might do a little cruise of the Kattegat in December.

The problem is that during this time of year, violent weather systems track from Canada to N. Europe along the jet stream, like a caravan of elephants.

These are tough latitudes and sailing here might as well be on a different planet, from sailing in the trades. Even in the summer you are guaranteed to get whacked by at least a gale or two, crossing W to E. The winter systems are survival storms.

Someone advised staying below 40N, but Cowes is at 50N and you have to go pretty far North to find prevailing Westerlies. The only thing worse than a gale in the N. Atlantic is a gale in your teeth, in the N. Atlantic.

My advice is to read Jimmy Cornell and do what he says.

June after one of the summer high pressure domes forms would be a good time. Even then, be ready to cope with a significant gale or two.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 10:43   #33

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Sailing from the US to Europe right now. What do you think about the timing?

My friend's just let me know that they decided to postpone their return to Europe by boat.
Also based on some of the information found here. Thank you.

If there are others folks still doing this right now, I wish them fair winds and weather! Be safe.

Personally I would never endeavor this at this time of the year.
Old 13-11-2019, 11:02   #34

Boat: Fisher 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
the cop25, starts 2 dec,which gives them 20 days to get there on time which means they need to be doing at least 160 miles a day and an average speed of 6.7 knots

https://unfccc.int/news/cop25-will-t...-december-2019

My bad. A BBC article mentioned October in Madrid. Anyhow. You are correct. Will be interesting to see how Greta and co get along at this time of year.
Wayne hoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 11:40   #35

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post
I cannot find my copy of Jimmy Cornell's World Cruising Routes. Boy there are a lot more places to lose stuff in a house than onboard a boat. But someone could see what he says. I think that at least hurricane season is over and that is surely a good thing.
Hurricane season in the Atlantic ends 30 November.
Old 13-11-2019, 12:02   #36

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabilo View Post
(null)
.. serious professional help is needed when you can’t handle the enthusiasm a 16 year old girl has for the environmental issues mankind has caused.
“enthusiasm” per se is totally neutral! Remember the footage from 1938 when the Austrians were falling out of windows because of their enthusiasm about the „Anschluss“. (...& I seem to see another parallel: other opinions are suppressed, requiring „psychiatric treatment“...)
Old 13-11-2019, 12:03   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
the cop25, starts 2 dec,which gives them 20 days to get there on time which means they need to be doing at least 160 miles a day and an average speed of 6.7 knots
Looks like she's giving it a go https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-50403488

Edit: Just had a thought, you may not be able to access this link if you're outside of the UK?
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 12:04   #38

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

What gets so many cruisers in trouble is that they start with a plan, then ask if they can do it, often rationalizing to justify their decision. That is totally backwards thinking. The starting point should always be what is the safest thing to do, then work our plans around that.

In this case we all should know by now that a late spring crossing is the safest, and least likely to encounter dangerous weather. That is the period between the end of the winter weather and before the first hurricane. The hurricane season ends too late for a reliable break before the winter weather begins. Of course individual crossings may have a range of experiences, but going outside the season is much more likely to mean gales and storms, higher risk, and at a minimum greater discomfort.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 12:30   #39

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Hmm, have a look at the link and move the slider on to next week. Doesn't look great and you would want to be below 30m in a submarine to keep things steady on board.

Pete
Oh yes, saw the slider and I get the point. Not the right time of the year to be making the crossing
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 12:55   #40

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Right, but hurricane season is more of a concern when going E-W, you are further south than.

When going W-E it's more the gales of autumn, winter and spring which are worrying, especially as you need to be further north to catch the westerlies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannan View Post
Hurricane season in the Atlantic ends 30 November.
Old 13-11-2019, 13:24   #41

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

It is not unusual for hurricanes to follow the W->E path that cruisers take, passing near Bermuda then crossing the ocean north of the high, often arriving in Europe. My first autumn in Europe Carina was up in sticks in Ireland when the remnants of a hurricane arrived as a storm (F10 IIRC), blowing boats over in the yard. I was staying aboard and had to get out every few hours and tap the wedges with a sledgehammer as the vibration was working them loose. There is no way I would ever want to have been on the way to Europe when that storm hit.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 13:40   #42

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

A good way to do it is by staying south of the 5640m contour displayed by the 500mb weather map.

It will guaranty winds below 35kn. Still windy, but manageable, versus the possible 45-50kn+ that late fall and winter storm can generate.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 13:46   #43

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

With a solid boat and competent crew at least three watches not a problem. There's no chance to avoid gales but so what.. A weather routing may help some to avoid the worst but do not count on that as the forecast at best is just thereabouts.. For short handed crew, don't try!
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 14:23   #44

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Nothing wrong with sailing up here in winter. Just pick your weather windows very, very carefully. I've just been sailing around the Oresund, and had a wonderful time, and might do a little cruise of the Kattegat in December.

The problem is that during this time of year, violent weather systems track from Canada to N. Europe along the jet stream, like a caravan of elephants.

These are tough latitudes and sailing here might as well be on a different planet, from sailing in the trades. Even in the summer you are guaranteed to get whacked by at least a gale or two, crossing W to E. The winter systems are survival storms.

Someone advised staying below 40N, but Cowes is at 50N and you have to go pretty far North to find prevailing Westerlies. The only thing worse than a gale in the N. Atlantic is a gale in your teeth, in the N. Atlantic.

My advice is to read Jimmy Cornell and do what he says.

June after one of the summer high pressure domes forms would be a good time. Even then, be ready to cope with a significant gale or two.
Good info. Thanks.

Here's one lad who is from Norway and is planning such a trip. At the 23:30 mark he shows the circumnavigation of the very north Atlantic he is planning. Throughout the video he occasionally has some footage of conditions up north.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 16:49   #45

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

If I'm not mistaken, Robin Knox Johnston with a couple crew attempted a west to east Atlantic crossing in the winter of 1989. He made it as far as the Azores under jury rig after Suhaili took a number of knockdowns and eventually was dismasted.

My guess would be that anyone even asking that question probably doesn't belong offshore.
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, grass, rope, sail, sailing