Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 09:26   #1

Sailing to Ocean city MD

Has anyone here sailed to Ocean City MD?
We would like any info you may have on anchorages (perhaps behind Assateague) info on Marinas (looks like Sunset may be our only option) and any other info we might need.
Thanks in advance!

Paul
svbellaluna.com
FP Venezia
GreenIssue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:39   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Sailing to Ocean city MD

Very few people sail to OC. Tricky inlet, thin water.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
Very few people sail to OC. Tricky inlet, thin water.
Well, I'm not sure about all that as I met a guy that kept his boat there last summer and said he had a great time day sailing out of there on his 50 foot cat... bummed I don't have his contact for all the details. Hopefully someone on the forum has some real firsthand info to share
GreenIssue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:07   #4

Boat: temporarily boatless...

We went in there 6 years ago today (!) with a Cheoy Lee 44, as I recall the draft was 6', there was plenty of depth at the inlet, plenty of depth at the marina (we stayed at Sunset Marina, where the staff referred to us on VHF as "the sailboat..."), plenty of depth at the fuel dock. The only problem was small boats anchored and fishing in the inlet channel, I guess they are so accustomed to only powerboats that they don't give a second though to it. They were very miffed when we nearly ran them over to stay in the channel. Nonetheless, I don't think you will have any problems. Oh, we also had a dense fog on the morning, had to wait until around noon to enter.

Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:33   #5

Boat: Lots of boats.

I'm surprised more people don't come for a visit (other than by car). LOTS of things to do, LOTS of great restaurants, etc. Easy to get around (can rent scooters, etc.). The inlet drives a pretty good current. I can see where timing would be important. But a nice place to visit, none the less.

I go every year with family (by car) and plan on bringing a 14' runabout next time I visit. They have the Chincoteague Wild Pony Swim around the end of July and Wallops Island is also not far away to watch rocket launches. Something everyone should do at least once (awesome!).
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 06:18   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIssue View Post
Has anyone here sailed to Ocean City MD?
We would like any info you may have on anchorages ... Paul
Monte Lewis of "Explorer Charts" fame was based in OC MD for many years (both sailing boats and power boats). You may want to contact him or Sarah via his publisher. Also check Active Captain.
Old 14-08-2016, 06:51   #7

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

we pulled in last year at night during a storm, we were about 17 miles out when we decided to take cover and we phoned several marinas to see if they could put us up.....we were told no, that by the time we got in they would be closed and there would be nobody there, this was the answer from the few we called, we were also wondering if they could tell us what time the bridge opens and closes, and nobody knew that answer, which is supprising since they work at marinas....

we entered this unfiamiliar harbour with a well marked channel at night that zigs zags as you enter while the tide was going out.....(yup we did everything you should not do without touching bottom or breaking anything)....we tided up to a fuel dock, because when in doutb I always head to the fuel dock since there is always water there....we tide up for a few hours and left at first light....

plenty of big boats there and it looks like a great place that you should spend a few days there, just dont be in a hurry like we were
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing