Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 16:43   #1

Samana Cay and Little Inagua

I am planning a trip to the SE Bahamas and am asking if anyone has information to help me find the cave near the eastern end of Samana or the noteworthy inland blue hole on that island. Also, whether anyone can give me some advice on how to find the solution holes on Little Inagua that have the tall royal palms growing out of them.
Thanks,
Craig
Craig Weller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Samana Cay and Little Inagua

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Craig.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 03:12   #3

Thank you for the welcome.
Old 03-09-2015, 16:40   #4

Unfortunately, I can't help you find exactly what you are looking for, but let me just say that those places you mention are among my absolute favorite places, not just in the entire Caribbean, but in the entire world!!

To me, they are so special, that I consider them 2 (of 5) of the Bahamian version of an 8000 meter peak in the Himalayas!

The other three that I put in that category are NE Point Great Inagua, East Plana Cay, and of course Hogsty Reef, what I like to affectionately call the "K2 of the Bahamas"!!

Please take a TON of photos at each place and post them.

In April I'll be visiting Mayaguana and trekking on foot to the NE shore (Long Bay) and then to the NE point of Great Inagua.

Since I'll be flying myself there in a single engine Cessna 172, I'd be more than glad to fly over these places as low as 100 feet to get some photos and video from my wing mounted Gopro if you wish!
CoopAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 18:02   #5

Thank you for the reply. I would like to compare notes with you further. I have been to both places in the past and agree that they are some of the most special places in the Bahamas after only seeing some of the things that make these islands noteworthy. Some of the best wall diving I have done in the Bahamas was along the south wall at the west tip of Samana. I say this after cruising and diving the Bahamas for 40 years including diving Hogsty and the walls of the Planas Cays too.

If you have not read Inagua by Gilbert Klingel, you should do so before hiking to the NE point of that island.

I am intrigued by your plans to hike to the NE shore of Mayaguana and am curious as to what has attracted you to this area of the island. I am also curious if you have been to (and into) the inland blue hole on East Plana.

I would also like to take you up on your offer to take some photos as you fly over these islands. I have some general info (second hand stories and rumors) to locate the cave on Samana (near the east end reportedly) but I do not know if the cave is easily visible from the air or even if the reports are credible. I flew over this island many years ago and noted some high areas and karst cliffs near the eastern end that looked interesting but the two times I have been to the island since then did not afford me the time to do any exploring on that end of the island.
Old 08-09-2015, 18:19   #6

Great to see you are still active on here being that you posted a while back.

I'm really tired now, but within a day or two, I will most certainly PM you all the details of my trip as well as go over specific lat/ long points for me to get pics/ video of.

Even though I'm a cert diver, I am more interested in these 5 places topside, although I certainly happen to be drawn to what lies under as well!

Cheers!
Old 09-09-2015, 06:57   #7

Check your PM's Craig!