Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2018, 19:57   #16

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: San Blas Clearance Logistics

I'm planning to leave my boat at Red Frog Beach Marina in Bocas del Toro over the rainy season. I contacted their office to ask about the fees I should expect to pay. They told me that Panama has cancelled the $100/person fee and that there is no "boarding fee". The only fees are the $185 cruising permit plus another $12 or so of miscellaneous little fees, and $10 per person. But they did say something ambiguous about paying the port officials who meet you at the port. I'm not sure if that is what someone called a boarding fee or if they were referring to the cruising permit. Does anyone have any really really recent data on fees for a new arrival?
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 18:45   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
On the web I read this: "When you enter Panama via the Caribbean Sea or Colombian Territorial waters you need a visa (except nationals of course). This is probably the main reason why people visit El Porvenir since you can find the naval customs service on the island. So if you want to explore San Blas legally you will have to buy a special visa allowing you to sail in the Panamanian waters (also San Blas). You can buy the visa at the Panamanian customs on El Porvenir for around $100 per person per boat."

This is a big discrepancy. I don't consider $100 per person for a few weeks "not bad" and it greatly exceeds Sea Life's report of less than $100 USD total. Does anyone know the authentic and up-to-date visa details for sailing in Panamanian waters?
Not sure what thats all about, but a visa in Portobelo is $3.

BTW there is no Customs office in Porvenir.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2018, 18:51   #18

Quote:
I'm planning to leave my boat at Red Frog Beach Marina in Bocas del Toro over the rainy season. I contacted their office to ask about the fees I should expect to pay. They told me that Panama has cancelled the $100/person fee and that there is no "boarding fee". The only fees are the $185 cruising permit plus another $12 or so of miscellaneous little fees, and $10 per person. But they did say something ambiguous about paying the port officials who meet you at the port. I'm not sure if that is what someone called a boarding fee or if they were referring to the cruising permit. Does anyone have any really really recent data on fees for a new arrival?
Practices vary by location in Panama. Clearing into Bocas involved visits and propinas last time I cleared in there, but that was a few years ago...adds up.

But, the $100 fee I believe is no longer valid. Cleared into Linton Bay/Portobelo last year and it was the cruising permit fee (I recall it as $195) plus immigration in Portobelo of $3/pp.

There is a Port Captain at Linton Bay Marina who can process the boat and cruising permit, but you must go to Portobelo (30 min by Taxi) to complete immigration.
Old 20-04-2018, 18:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
A few years back we made landfall from Cartegena near Pine Is in the eastern San Blas. This area has few cruising boats and some interesting Kuna villages. We worked our way up to the western San Blas and cleared in maybe 10 days latter.
I know others who have made recent short unofficial stops in the San Blas without problem. Not technically correct, but no one really seems to care.
Old 20-04-2018, 19:02   #20

[QUOTE=belizesailor;2617677]
Quote:
For a couple of years now, clearing in at Linton/Portobelo has been the only option.

Im not sure yet if the precence of a Panamanian immigration official marks a change in that, but have asked my wife to post on the San Blas cruisers FaceBook page. I will also ask on the net here, but I missed it this AM.
Asked on PanaConnection net recently and the role of the sometimes Immigration official there seems rather vague. He is not always there, except for the other day, the Immigration office has vacant when Ive been there a couple of other times this season.

There is no Port Captain in Porvenir so you cant make boat papers, in or out, there.

In theory I suppose you could clear immigration there, if the Immigration officer is there, and then complete boat clearance in Linton. But not sure why you would do that or why they have a sometimes immigration official there.

Makes no sense to me.
Old 20-04-2018, 23:51   #21

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

You might be able to to PM BOOBOO, he's just cleared in there, and is now in Colon. Or look him up on facebook as Rogue Sailing Family.