Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2016, 12:52   #1

Location: Most of my life has been in coastal Maine, recently relocated to Tampa Bay area
Boat: Cy Hamlin/Joel White wood Yawl, 1968, 32', "Dulcibella"
Seeking NJ/DE/MD ICW Anchorage or reasonable cost mooring for September/October

Hi All,

I'm sailing (well mostly motoring) a new to me 1962 Soverel 28 yawl down the Hudson from Burlington, VT next week. My original intent was to bring her round to Maine, but it's a long haul and I'd like to eventually take her to Florida, so wondering if there is a safe and secure place to anchor or moor her somewhere south of Cape May (via the C&D) for September and October and then continue south with her. She's a solid and relatively simple boat with about 3' draft (I don't plan to have a dink with me). I could do a 2 point anchor setup, but would prefer a reasonable priced mooring. Would be helpful if I could be somewhere somewhat accessible to public transit so I can get back to VT for my vehicle and then home to Maine.. I have two moorings in Rockland, Maine and would be very happy to do a swap for this or next year...biggest mooring can take about 32-34' and 16,000lbs.

Appreciate any and all thoughts and assistance. Cheers, Will

email is mainesail113at yahoodottedcomma
mainesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 13:38   #2

Boat: Alberg #0
Re: Seeking NJ/DE/MD ICW Anchorage or reasonable cost mooring for September/October

Baltimore is where I'm based and would be an easy stopping point coming down the Chesapeake Bay. I'm at Anchorage Marina and would be happy to show you around. Great public transportation options and a west marine, ace hardware, Safeway supermarket and great inexpensive places to eat right across the street. You can anchor on either side of the marina if slip fees are an issue but I think a 30ft slip is under $300 a month.

Paul.
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 13:55   #3

Location: Most of my life has been in coastal Maine, recently relocated to Tampa Bay area
Boat: Cy Hamlin/Joel White wood Yawl, 1968, 32', "Dulcibella"
Re: Seeking NJ/DE/MD ICW Anchorage or reasonable cost mooring for September/October

Thanks alot Paul, I'm going to wait a couple of days to see what folks say and then see what's what. Always prefer not to spend money if possible, especially since I wouldn't be aboard. Does this anchorage area seem a really good or just soso option to you, both in terms of holding and general security.

Thanks again, Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
Baltimore is where I'm based and would be an easy stopping point coming down the Chesapeake Bay. I'm at Anchorage Marina and would be happy to show you around. Great public transportation options and a west marine, ace hardware, Safeway supermarket and great inexpensive places to eat right across the street. You can anchor on either side of the marina if slip fees are an issue but I think a 30ft slip is under $300 a month.

Paul.
mainesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 17:01   #4

Boat: Alberg #0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesail View Post
Thanks alot Paul, I'm going to wait a couple of days to see what folks say and then see what's what. Always prefer not to spend money if possible, especially since I wouldn't be aboard. Does this anchorage area seem a really good or just soso option to you, both in terms of holding and general security.

Thanks again, Will
Totally understand.

Great holding and zero security issues in the 3-4 years I've been here.

I would anchor in the anchorage just past the marina and use the public dinghy dock just before you reach the marina but you could anchor on that side too.

Feel free to private message me for my cell number nearer the time, happy to talk thru details.
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2016, 18:47   #5

Mooring in Annapolis. Anchor in Weems Creek. Chesapeake abounds with places to anchor or dock.
Bring up Active Captain, will show you many anchorages and marinas. Also check craigslist for private slip rentals.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 08:22   #6

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Not having a dink with you might pose a problem if you choose to "anchor out" as you may have trouble getting back and forth to the boat from shore. Then there is the issue of storing the dink ashore while you are away. lack of a dink may also restrict your provisioning options as you head south on the ICW. Just some thoughts.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 08:52   #7

Boat: Island Packet 420

Without a dink, and if you don't want to stay in a marina, your best option would be a mooring in Annapolis where there is a water taxi. However, due to the boat show in early October, you would need to reserve one fast. Other alternative would be to get there early and anchor in one of the creeks where the water taxi will still provide transportation to you.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 10:05   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I would not leave a boat unattended in distant waters for the two worst months of storm season. Remember Hurricane Irene and TS Sandy both hit the northeast after coming up the coast that time of year. Security in any populous area is an issue, and if you happen to leave the boat an extra month because of unexpected circumstances, the local tax men are likely to send you a large tax bill or put a lien on it. Altogether? Find a cheap dry storage yard, so the boat can be relatively safe and secure. If you must leave it in the water, pay someone to check on the boat and if necessary, to haul it before a hurricane. Unless it is cheaper to replace the boat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, icw, mooring