Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2022, 13:20   #31

Boat: Lagoon 42
Re: Sell the Wife: Off Grid/Beautiful Nature in a 7-day Starter Charter?

Sea of Cortez, you can charter out of LaPaz and Loreto (I think). There are a number of unpopulated islands with fantastic anchorages (the Sonoran desert meets the ocean), no mooring balls. Snorkeling, hiking and fishing are all great, kite surfing is very popular. Not much infrastructure, the small fishing villages might have a restaurant or two. The party atmosphere in Cabo is over the top but LaPaz is much much more laid back.
nextis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 13:46   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcbj View Post
What I am trying to ask is, if you were going to the BVI or USVI (or anywhere) for the first time, with my goals, how would you go about finding places to go? What resources would you use?
Re: resources.
  • Charter company websites: A charter company will provide some details on recommended itineraries. Even if you go on your own, that resource can help you plan your trip.
  • CruisersForum: search for more details on a specific area. For example, before sailing in Maine, I did a Google search like "great anchorages in Penobscot Bay site:cruisersforum.com". That gave me discussions about certain areas.
  • Google search for sailors' blogs on areas of interest.
  • Tourist info sites on location of interest.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 13:46   #33

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextis12 View Post
Sea of Cortez, you can charter out of LaPaz and Loreto (I think). There are a number of unpopulated islands with fantastic anchorages (the Sonoran desert meets the ocean), no mooring balls. Snorkeling, hiking and fishing are all great, kite surfing is very popular. Not much infrastructure, the small fishing villages might have a restaurant or two. The party atmosphere in Cabo is over the top but LaPaz is much much more laid back.
Agree, but:

Not necessarily so easy for beginners:
- no local weather forecasting (NOAA provides forecasts via internet)
- local weather effects (Corumels) not well forecasted
- most anchorages in Bahia De La Paz islands are open to Corumels
- Winter time winds mostly "Northers", which are well forecasted (though Corumels do also occur); many anchorages in "the islands" well protected from N seas, but N winds can still blow through (without seas). Northers can be quite strong for a beginner.

On good days, the islands are wonderful. But a surprise Corumel can make for a miserable night. La Paz always great.

Anchorages well north of Bahia de la Paz (e.g.,Agua Verde) not subject to Corumels but also too far for 1 week out of La Paz (but close to Loreto).
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 13:51   #34

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses above.

Literally, how do you find the beautiful anchorages? The hikes, etc? The good snorkling? There were a few specifics suggested above, which is great, but is there a more general resource? A good book, a website, etc? I am trying to get to the point where I can plan out a sort of itinerary, (or at least a vision), and I think most of the easily accessible information is for major attractions (the baths, particular bars) which sound overrun.

I agree with the above post that a crewed charter might be a good starting place, but before I spend all that money, I'd like to know that there is a path to learning how to find the good spots myself.

What I am trying to ask is, if you were going to the BVI or USVI (or anywhere) for the first time, with my goals, how would you go about finding places to go? What resources would you use?

Thanks!!
For more remote off grid destinations I'd look into Bahamas, Spanish Virgin Islands (Puerto Rico, Culebra, Vieques) and the Grenadines, Belize or the Chesapeake. I personally think you'd enjoy Antigua and Barbuda. Look up Barbuda! Once you pick a spot there are cruising guides that you can purchase to plan itineraries. Since you will most likely require a captain they will have local knowledge and be able to offer suggestions catered to your preferences. You could even use the service of a charter brokerage. They earn their pay through the charter companies and private charters so it doesn't add cost to you for their service. They do their best to match your preferences to a captain or charter outfit that best meet your needs and wants.

In addition to this and other sailing forums visit travel forums. Traveltalkonline.com, and tripadvisor forums have trip reports and a variety of threads with questions and answers on activities at the different destinations. IE snorkeling, diving, hiking, kyaking, eco tours, restaurants, etc. And of course look up videos on YouTube.

I hope this has helped. I hope you and your wife have a wonderful trip!
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 14:27   #35

Boat: Alerion Express 28

Most of St. John in the USVI is a national park with lots of hiking trails. You should check it out. Given your inexperience, you might have difficulty in getting a charter boat. While a crewed boat is one option have you thought about taking a bareboat sailing class, either in your vicinity or your charter destination?
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 14:36   #36

Boat: Alerion Express 28

Regarding resources, all the Carib islands have cruising guides that are a must. Check out Amazon books.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 14:46   #37
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinF View Post
Unless you have other experience it would probably be unwise/very difficult to charter a bare boat. A crewed charter is extremely expensive for a couple. You are left with flotilla, "charter a cabin", or a week on a course. A flotilla or a course would teach you more. A course would give you a certificate to present when you book an independent bareboat charter.

Blue sky, golden sand, high temperatures, sheltered water; everyone in N America is also searching for these things. If you want solitude you may like to to think about going north [#5 above] or further [#7] or maybe the Great Lakes, eg you could drive to Great Traverse Bay on Lake Michigan.

Good Luck,

M

Or go to Greece.
Old 01-01-2022, 14:50   #38

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I know you asked about charter, and I gave an answer. But I like Anne’s suggestion- a trailer boat. It seems to fit your lifestyle, and you learn to sail.

You can get into a 20’ trailable weekender for the price of a charter. There are many lakes you can sail, anchor near the beach, and hike with nobody around. Heck, I’d be more than happy to do this the rest of my summers in Thousand Islands alone.

There’s a trailable organization and website with all the answers.

My wife, whom I don’t want to sell because I can’t replace her, likes off the beaten path. She doesn’t like my preference for no path. The boat gets us places to explore with both satisfied.
Old 01-01-2022, 14:57   #39

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Given your experience and the selling your wife, I believe you would do well with a captained charter no matter where you decide on. Things can go south on the water quickly, so it is not a good way to sell your wife.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 15:04   #40
Nearly an old salt

Sell the Wife: Off Grid/Beautiful Nature in a 7-day Starter Charter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Given your experience and the selling your wife, I believe you would do well with a captained charter no matter where you decide on. Things can go south on the water quickly, so it is not a good way to sell your wife.

Well during these Covid times boats RVs and wives seem to be selling well. It cost me two camels too recover the wife recently after the cheap jewellery maker plied her with raki and a plate of calamari ( she’s a cheap date bless her ) but I needed crew to get home.
Old 01-01-2022, 15:16   #41

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Well during these Covid times boats RVs and wives seem to be selling well. It cost me two camels too recover the wife recently after the cheap jewellery maker plied her with raki and a plate of calamari ( she’s a cheap date bless her ) but I needed crew to get home.
It was selling his wife on the idea of sailing.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 15:30   #42

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Literally, how do you find the beautiful anchorages? The hikes, etc? The good snorkling? There were a few specifics suggested above, which is great, but is there a more general resource? A good book, a website, etc? I am trying to get to the point where I can plan out a sort of itinerary, (or at least a vision), and I think most of the easily accessible information is for major attractions (the baths, particular bars) which sound overrun.
Why don't you start with one or more of the several cruising guides to the BVI and USVI. Cruising Guide Publications has been putting out very thorough editions for many years. Lots of information on navigation, anchorages, places of interest, practical advice, etc.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 15:33   #43
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
It was selling his wife on the idea of sailing.

Oh dear you don’t get jokes do you !!
Old 01-01-2022, 15:59   #44

Sell the wife!!! There'll be no convincing needed.
PanamaJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 16:00   #45

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hard to see humour sometimes, without the visual clues one gets face to face.

However, this is no joke, one of my women friends had an offer of 40 camels and their tack, but turned even that down. A number of years back.

Ann

Tags
charter