Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2015, 08:31   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Shipping LCL from the U.K. to St. Martin

I have a couple of items in a box of about 40Kg and around 1m3 that I would like to send to St. Martin from Newcastle in the U.K. via sea-freight. Can anyone here recommend a good shipping company?
Old 20-12-2015, 07:26   #2

Re: Shipping LCL from the U.K. to St. Martin

CMA-CGM has weekly sailings Tilbury - Philipsburg. They do do LCL, but you have to be persistent to get them to admit it. Using a broker will make that easier.

The other regular route is Geest line weekly Portmouth - Antigua with forwarding on a smaller Caribbean line. Beware the hassle of getting anything into or out of Antigua - the forwarders clearly make their money on storage, so do not expect to make the first (or event third) connecting sailing.
Shiny_sxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 08:00   #3

Shiny - thanks for the CMA-CGM link; I'll follow up on that. I've shipped to SXM before using both Tropical and a small company that unfortunately no longer exists and know enough about Antigua to avoid it like the plague for shipping things.
Old 24-12-2015, 17:18   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Phone Fours Star Cargo in Philipsberg they have some sort of link with a UK EU shipper sadly i cant find the name of the company ATM but I am sure a quick call to FSC will get that info for you.

OR get it to Miami and use Lilly at Interlink Connections we use IC lots and they are good and not expensive they ship to SXM twice a week I think
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 17:40   #5

Zanshin, as you know trans-shipping though the US is a real pain - worse than Antigua, and that is saying something...
Shiny_sxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 06:13   #6

Shiny_sxm - I have shipped through the USA before and agree with you that the amount of paperwork and documentation (plus associated fees) make it challenging but can't compare it with Antigua since I haven't done that yet. I believe that by going through 4 Star the shipment would also go to Miami first and thus have to go through all the rigamarole of transshipping as well (Although I do have a 4-Star account for direct US-SXM shipping and that is a breeze to use); but I'll give that a try.
I might have gotten a hot tip from one of the members here for someone shipping a container with some space available from the continent to SXM which could work out, but I'm still working on that.

Tags
shipping, St Martin