Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2014, 11:21   #31

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Shipping to Georgetown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
All the taxis in GT are privately owned and driven by the owners. Most of the drivers are well known in the cruising community. If you have guests coming in it's best to talk to one of these owners. They know all the flight schedules, the delays etc. My daughter and granddaughter were due in on a flight. I contacted one of the drivers ( I usually use the same one). He went to pick them up, called me later on the vhf to report that they were not on the flight, not an uncommon occurrence. He then went and met the next flight and got them to the dinghy dock. On another occasion my wife had to go to the airport to pick up my granddaughters who were coming in. She had to pick them up because they were minors travelling on their own. The cab owner only charged one way. If you're in GT and expecting guests or parcels it's beneficial to build up a rapport with one of these friendly and accommodating taxi drivers.
Amen. I've used the same taxi for years and he's been a great help. As far as prices go, I believe the rates are controlled by Nassau. You can imagine what it's like buying fuel and maintaining a vehicle in the Exumas.
The cab drivers are not getting rich.
Old 26-02-2014, 10:48   #32

Boat: Beneteau 323

OK, got my package this morning.

Even though the good people at St Brendans Isle attached a copy of our cruising permit to every invoice in the box, and even though I email my crusing permit to the Nassau DHL person in advance, the box still got held up in customs.

The good people at Top II Bottom were the key to expediting everything. They called Nassua DHL and gave them a nudge when needed. After Nassau DHL got my cruising permit and duty was assessed, they did not send send me a message telling me about the duty. I went to Top II Bottom, they called Nassau, gave Nassau my credit card number and got everything moving using colorful Bahamas language the people in Nassau could understand.

In the end I paid $15 duty plus a $25 handling fee on about $700 worth of stuff. The duty was assessed on the two replacement Australian flags I purchased. No duty on the stuff obviously needed for the boat - sail repair supplies, head rebuilt kit, halyard, zincs and rope ordered.

My friend who had his father-in-law bring in his stuff eventually got out of paying most of his duty but he spent a lot of time on the phone with Nassau customs but it took about two weeks.

Working through Top II Bottom was much easier.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 11:33   #33

Boat: Oyster 55

Thanks seachange for the update.
However doesn't sound good for me flying in.......will just pay the duty if necessary.
I have only a week there until I have to fly back for work then return end of April to sail my boat up to Bermuda. Don't want to spend any time fighting with customs.
However my friends who brought the boat up from Jamaica will have all the time in the world until I return. (something wrong with this picture :-)
They are actually doing me a very big favor because of my current work requirements so they are entitled to have a good time......just envy them!
Thanks again for taking the time to let us know your particular situation.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 12:28   #34

Hey, who are your friends who brought your boat from Jamaica? I am heading to Jamaica soon and would love to talk to them if they are still in Georgetown.
Old 26-02-2014, 13:03   #35

Well they haven't got to Georgetown yet.
They only arrived on Inagua yesterday.
I had left the boat in the Cayman's and they took it to Port Antonio and spent a week or two there.
Will be making their way up to GT to meet me in a few weeks.
I am sure they would love to talk with you if you see them.
Will be happy to put you in contact.
Will you still be in GT mid March? I will also be there and have quite a bit of experience in Jamaica. Sailed my boat to Port Antonio last year from Curacao. Also just happen to have lived in Jamaica for 4 years however that was the late 70's.
Hopefully we will meet or at least you will get to talk to my friends. Will let you know when I hear back from them regarding their schedule prior to my arrival.
Apparently the only place on Inagua that they have found that has WiFi is the library?
ciao
Old 26-02-2014, 16:23   #36

Thanks so much. I think we will proably miss you. I would have been interested to hear about Jamaica in the 70s and Port Antonio today.

Now we have our package we are itching to move on. Have a little running rigging to replace tomorrow, and then, if the forecast holds we will move onto Clarence Town, Long Island where we will wait for a nice fat window for our sail to Port Antonio.

For Bahamas Internet acceas, a combination of BTC and the Bullet have worked well for me. If you have an unlocked smart phone or usb data thingy you can buy a sim card from BTC for $15 and 2Gb of data for $30. The BTC office always seems to be under the cell tower. I bet that will work in Inagua. In Georgetown, if you have a long range wifi antenna like a Bullet, Bahamas WiMax works best, for $35/week unlimited.
Old 26-02-2014, 17:02   #37

That is very good information.
Sorry I will miss you however when I hear from my boat I will tell them to keep an eye out for "Seachange". You guys may still be able to connect along the way.
My boat is named "Redemption" and is a Voyage 440 cat.
Port Antonio is a great place to hang out and also use as a home base to see some of Jamaica. Nice people at the marina or you can simply anchor by the marina and use their facilities such as WiFi, internet showers, washer and dryers, bar and restaurant for $10/day.
They also have clean fuel.
Jamaica is one of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean both culturally as well as geographically and is not to be missed.
So not to bore others you are welcome to send me a private message for any particulars you would like to know about Jamaica.
Enjoy and thanks again for your help.
Old 26-02-2014, 17:04   #38

Also the harbor at Port Antonio is very well marked and an easy nighttime approach if necessary.
Old 27-02-2014, 15:12   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Also the harbor at Port Antonio is very well marked and an easy nighttime approach if necessary.
That is helpful information. Thanks. Sounds like a straightforward harbor. I like it.

Tags
georgetown, shipping