Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2024, 21:49   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Ketch
South from Massachusetts ...

Going south from Massachusetts in a 37' ketch (my goal is Maryland or south), would you sail on the north side of Long Island (through Long Island Sound) or on the south side (ocean), and why?
kandlekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2024, 22:02   #2

Boat: Whitby 42
Re: South from Massachusetts ...

I've done both. South of Long Island you have to do in one shot. If weather is good go for it. Inside you have to deal with timing current through East river but plenty of spots to anchor along the way.
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2024, 22:07   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Ketch

Yeah, anchorages are a major concern for me, as I'm not sure how much crew I'll have (if any).
kandlekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2024, 04:40   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Short handed, I would sail through Long Island Sound and then coastal hop down the Jersey shore. Probably best to do an overnighter from Sandy Hook to Cape May since none of the Jersey anchorages are all that great. If you have never done the East River past Manhattan and out past the Statue of Liberty you should do it--spectacular! Just be sure to get a favorable current through Hells Gate and the East River. There are no good inlets on the south shore of Long Island for big boats, and none that I would do in bad weather. The alternative is to go to Block Island and wait for a mild norther and then try to run with it down to Cape May, NJ. I have done it before and with your sized boat you might just be able to do it in two days with one overnight, but be prepared to arrive after dark if things slow up. Cape May inlet is OK in decent weather, but can be nasty if the wind is against the current.
Old 26-08-2024, 05:14   #5

Boat: Maine Cat 38

If you have never cruised Long Island Sound or run the East River through NYC, these are well worth doing. Take your time and enjoy.

If you just want to get south quickly go outside. As previously mentioned stage at Block Island or choose your favorite island south of Cape Cod. Wait for weather and go.

BI to Cape May / Delaware Bay is about 200 miles, so 36 to 48 hours assuming favorable winds. This offshore route can be very nice! If you want to break it up pulling in at Sandy Hook NJ and visiting Atlantic Islands is a very nice stopover.

This time of year UNfavorable south west winds are common , which is another reason to go through LIS. Again staging at Atlantic Highlands. Either way you want something other than SW winds to run the NJ shore. It is well worth holding departure for favorable conditions in order to avoid having to pull into any of the NJ inlets.
Old 26-08-2024, 05:59   #6

Just did this a few days ago. If you don't have a copy already, strongly suggest you get the current edition of Eldridge. It will walk you through all of the various areas where playing the currents will be important. It also has a ton of other information in it. You don't say if you are north or south of the Cape Cod Canal, but the currents you will care about include:

- Cape Cod Canal
- Buzzards Bay/Vineyard Sound (and they don't match)
- Block Island Sound
- The Race/Plum Gut/Fishers Island Sound
- Eastern LIS generally
- East River
Plumbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2024, 15:13   #7

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Whichever way you decide to go if you don't want to deal with the inlet and anchorage at Cape May then the anchorage at Cape Henlopen, just 14 miles further, is an easy anchorage to enter with lots of room and good protection.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Massachusetts