Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 12:20   #16

alberg, i'm with you that 11 grand is nuts.
i also think its nuts to sail north of 15 degrees in the absolute thick of hurricane season as hurricanes don't always form off africa; they pop up anywhere this time of year.
i wouldn't have delivered your boat this time of year for a million bucks.
the dr is an easy place to get stuck in. its chicken harbour II, just south of #1, georgetown. if you come in to spend a night or two resting, the other 'sailors' can scare you into hanging around instead of pushing on.
the guy did deliver your boat safely for you and if you trusted him all these years and have a previous relationship, maybe you can come to a more reasonable fee with some negotiations.
next time, move your own boat.
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 16:44   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Little boat,

I think you make reasonaable arguments. Expectations are the problem and the lack of a formal complete written contract plays to each parties disadvantage.

I'm sure that a poll on the Cruisers Forum is NOT the best way to work out a settlement. As a general rule we don't allow that type of posting. We really don't want Crusiers Forum to be a place where you can vent your bad times to everyone and ask the group tell you how great or wrong you are.

It's really about making both sides understand each others problem. We will never be able to do that here. It's pretty easy to say the other guy lied and so deserves to get screwed. The other side is a lame fool to trust his boat to a peron that didn't understand the rules. Which idiot is dumber? Do we need a poll?

I can't say I believe the whole story, but I can't call the either guy a liar. Something happened and it may or may not get worked out. The idea that a weather window was missed is more hindsight than not. No one knows weather beforehand and any darn fool knows afterwards. The defence that "you could have made it" is as lame as saying you should get paid for a whole lot of days doing nothing.

The Crusiers Forum ain't Judge Judy!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote