Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 09:19   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
St. Lawrence haul out options

We're getting closer to departure date, heading for Lewisporte, Newfoundland from Lake Ontario. However, I'm interested in lining up a few early pull out places. Just in case we end up slower than expected, or have just had enough for one season, what are some places we could possibly haul out for the winter?

Basic boat specs:

~37 foot
- 15 ton (30,000#)
- full keel
- prefer mast up

- we'd need jackstands

I was considering a place like Rimouski, but their travel lift specs say 13 tons. With all the serious fishing boats along there there must be other haul out places.
Old 09-06-2016, 14:58   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: St. Lawrence haul out options

Mike,

Down here, they have marine railways, with adjustable cradles, could you do okay on a cradle where you can't get at all the bottom of the keel? or do you have to have jackstands, as mentioned above? (followed by hanging in slings to get at the bottom) Quite often (down here) the fishing boats haul out on railways, and the keels are blocked up a bit by timbers that go crosswise of the car, so you can do most of the underside of the keel.....

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 09-06-2016, 15:08   #3

Boat: Douglas 32

Iroquois Ontario, on the Lake Ontario side of the lock.
30 ton travel lift. IMS - Services

Nice to be lifted out, and dropped into fresh water.
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 15:43   #4

Boat: Mirage 35

A copy of the Québec Nautiguide could give you some leads; it lists all of the marinas and service facilities:
QMA | QUEBEC MARINE ASSOCIATION ? Publication | Nautiguide

It seems to be pretty widely distributed at marinas and dealers; I picked one up at the Montréal boat show. If you're unable to find one I could donate mine to the cause - I'm not going that direction this year and will no doubt get a new one for 2017.
Old 09-06-2016, 17:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
A copy of the Québec Nautiguide could give you some leads; it lists all of the marinas and service facilities:
QMA | QUEBEC MARINE ASSOCIATION ? Publication | Nautiguide
Thanks Anglais, that's very helpful. I went online and the guide looks like a good start. I'll be able to get the pages digitally until we find the actual printed version. Once we hit Quebec waters I'm sure I'll find a copy, but thanks for the offer. Keep yours. Perhaps we'll see you down the river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Down here, they have marine railways, with adjustable cradles, could you do okay on a cradle where you can't get at all the bottom of the keel? or do you have to have jackstands, as mentioned above? (followed by hanging in slings to get at the bottom) Quite often (down here) the fishing boats haul out on railways, and the keels are blocked up a bit by timbers that go crosswise of the car, so you can do most of the underside of the keel.....
Thanks Ann, good idea about the rail systems. I've used one with a previous boat and a previous yacht club. I'm sure we could use one of those as well, as long as could rent an appropriate cradle. We don't have our own jackstands (actually, we do ... but they are currently 2000 km away, and up for sale). I prefer stands for their simplicity, but I suppose we could use solid timbers to block things up as well. I'm really just looking for early bail out options should NFLD become a bridge too far.

And thanks Kim, but Iroquois is too close. We're in Belleville right now. Even I go faster than that .
Old 09-06-2016, 18:01   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This may or may not have the info you need but it is what I had handy and it may help so here it is (my answer to another request for a guide to NS):

I have not been there yet, but hope to join a boat as crew to see that part of the world, in fact my sea bags are packed for such a voyage. So I have done some reading on the places and environment. Still available for the right boat and crew opportunity.

Here are two sources I have in my notes on the area.

Check for a cruising guide here:
Pilot Press - Cruising Guides to Newfoundland, Labrador, Nova Scotia and the Gulf of St. Lawrence.

Here is another good source for local info.
Cruising Cape Breton | Your #1 info site

Fair winds and Bon voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 18:22   #7

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Mike,

These folks have done a circumnavigation of NFLD over the course of several seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/user/GoneSailingCA/featured

Not sure if they have a website or how to contact them for more info.

Dave
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 19:05   #8

Boat: Catalina 400

Mike:

We have a Marina in Corner Brook Newfoundland, Bay of Islands Yacht Club, that is capable of taking you boat, as David Lockner quoted "Gone Sailing" Mike and Jane, spent a winter here on their way around Newfoundland.

If you need any more information PM me.

Byron
Marinetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 19:17   #9

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

You have a few choices besides staying in Newfoundland itself. You could run over to Cape Breton and leave it in the Bras D'Or Lakes at Baddeck Marine or one of the other local Marinas. It's beautiful in the Lakes and they have a good reputation.
You could check out the boatyard in Souris PEI to see if that suited. I believe they have a big travel lift for the fishing fleet. Or, closer to the St. Lawrence, you could check out the shipyard in Shippegan NB. It handles some pretty big vessels so shouldn't have any troubles with the weight of your boat.
The marinas in the Shediac/Moncton area don't have a travel lift but rent a crane for organized haul outs. Storage is also more difficult for transient boats but they are pretty friendly and it may be convenient depending on your plans as there is an airport handy.
Hopefully, that gives you a starting point. Let me know if you have more questions!
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 19:44   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
Mike,

These folks have done a circumnavigation of NFLD over the course of several seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/user/GoneSailingCA/featured

Not sure if they have a website or how to contact them for more info.

Dave

Yeah, they did make some good vides, I enjoyed them. Well done.nice camera work and narration.

They sailed a Niagra 35.

I remember one video shows them motoring against the river current and unable to make forward progress because of the fast current, despite high RPMs on their Diesel engine. Timing is everything on tidal rivers.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 20:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinetech View Post
Mike:

We have a Marina in Corner Brook Newfoundland, Bay of Islands Yacht Club, that is capable of taking you boat, as David Lockner quoted "Gone Sailing" Mike and Jane, spent a winter here on their way around Newfoundland.

If you need any more information PM me.

Byron
Thanks Byron. I'll be in touch. This looks like a good alternative to Lewisporte.

And thanks too to Shoalcove; yes, there are alternatives to NFLD. We're kinda bent on The Rock for now, but who knows ... we might change our minds. If so, your suggestions will be very helpful.

And yes, Dave/Steady, thanks too for the link. I think I've viewed those before, but it never hurts to look again .
Old 10-06-2016, 02:15   #12

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

No problem Mike! I was just giving some alternatives based on your first post. All those places could be good jumping off or bailing out places depending on your route choice or timing. I didn't realize you were planning to stay in Newfoundland and was thinking more in terms of a tour of the gulf. It'll be a great trip. Enjoy!
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:27   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Byron.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:59   #14

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

Yeah, they did make some good vides, I enjoyed them. Well done.nice camera work and narration.

They sailed a Niagra 35.

I remember one video shows them motoring against the river current and unable to make forward progress because of the fast current, despite high RPMs on their Diesel engine. Timing is everything on tidal rivers.
There are 2 nice marinas in the Old City of Montreal. Unfortunately for sailors, they are on the LaChine (Sp?) River just downstream of the rapids. There's a 4+ knot current running. I've heard that the marinas won't reserve a slip for sailboats, but will give you one if you can make it there.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:01   #15

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I remember one video shows them motoring against the river current and unable to make forward progress because of the fast current, despite high RPMs on their Diesel engine. Timing is everything on tidal rivers.[/QUOTE]

We used to call that "negative headway". Done it more times than I'll admit to.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, haul out