Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2024, 13:57   #1

St Lucia in JULY

Hello, has anyone sailed st Lucia in July. I am chartering a catamaran with the family. I have read a lot about the weather patterns, etc but wanted real advice from those who have experienced.
Also, any tips/insight sailing from St. Lucia to Martinique.
rduensing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 14:24   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: St Lucia in JULY

I've sailed there in July. The weather is warm and often the trade winds die down. I like it, as it is emptier than during high season. The winds between St. Lucia and Martinique are usually stronger than the prevailing winds, but from Rodney Bay to Fort-de-France it is only 36 miles so it is a short passage. The winds are from the east, so it is an easy sail in either direction.
Old 15-07-2024, 18:21   #3

I’ll let you know next year! We tried, but Beryl kept us from sailing. We began our charter; hung out in Rodney Bay before having to get off the boat the day before Beryl hit south of us. My friend went in November and had an amazing time. Safety is paramount.
bjlerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2024, 23:26   #4

I had friends put a cat's cradle of lines on my boat at the docks in Rodney Bay, perhaps you saw her at the docks. At the time I was delivering a boat back to Norfolk from Bermuda after the Newport-Bermuda race and I felt helpless since I didn't know if Beryl would shift north at the last minute.
Old Yesterday, 15:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I had friends put a cat's cradle of lines on my boat at the docks in Rodney Bay, perhaps you saw her at the docks. At the time I was delivering a boat back to Norfolk from Bermuda after the Newport-Bermuda race and I felt helpless since I didn't know if Beryl would shift north at the last minute.
Great looking vessel! Did not see her. We were chartering with Sunsail. Best I can tell our dock was further south from you. We saw many boats tied the same before we left.
Old Yesterday, 17:19   #6

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlerkins View Post
Safety is paramount.
What does this mean in the context of St. Lucia? It is safe for boats? It is safe for people, or both? Or it is not safe and special precautions are necessary?

I am planning to help a friend move her boat from Spain to St. Lucia later this year and she plans to use St. Lucia as a base for a few years. Further info re "safety" would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Yesterday, 17:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
What does this mean in the context of St. Lucia? It is safe for boats? It is safe for people, or both? Or it is not safe and special precautions are necessary?

I am planning to help a friend move her boat from Spain to St. Lucia later this year and she plans to use St. Lucia as a base for a few years. Further info re "safety" would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
A good friend indeed. Speaking as a charterer with holiday time being expended, I would rather have been sailing. Rightfully so, the storm kept us at the marina, unable to start / finish our charter. The two weeks we were on the island, we never felt unsafe. The Sunsail team at Rodney Bay were exceptional. Not to mention how equipped Rodney Bay is to accommodate the cruising community. We’ll be back next year.
Old Yesterday, 20:19   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I've sailed there in July. The weather is warm and often the trade winds die down. I like it, as it is emptier than during high season. The winds between St. Lucia and Martinique are usually stronger than the prevailing winds, but from Rodney Bay to Fort-de-France it is only 36 miles so it is a short passage. The winds are from the east, so it is an easy sail in either direction.
Good assessment but sail into Le Marin/St Anne. Provisioning in the French islands is a bargain and you will find wonderful things. In Le Marin there are several large grocery stores including a dinghy dock at Leader Price. Aged Rhum is especially good and affordable. Rent a car and tour the distilleries. Clement, St James, Three Rivers, and several others. Anchor at Grand Anse, Anse de’ Arlet and enjoy the beach, snorkeling, restaurants.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:59   #9

I've stored my boat at Rodney Bay several times now during hurricane season. This was the first time that a hurricane came close. It is generally a safe location and not prone to the flooding that often accompanies big storms. And as @Nicholson58 wrote, Martinique is only a couple of hours sail away and shopping there is a treat.

Tags
St Lucia

« USVI vs BVI | - »