Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2014, 08:23   #136
cruiser

Re: St Lucia murder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Happily Med in general is more safe enviroment...
Do You think it is doable to connect Your point 6 switch to a kind of burglary - alarm to make it self triggered?
Yes, I'm also glad it's safer in the Med, less to worry about. I don't know how to do what you're asking regarding the alarm.

On our boat, an uninvited trouble maker would come onboard via the sugar scoop stern and walk right on top of the master cabin which would surely wake us up... especially when they'd attempt to break open the locked companionway. My intuition tells me that if some bad guy(s)s are willing to ignore flood lights and hailing siren and continue to break in... they mean to do us harm, so switching to defense mode utilizing guns if legal or sharp objects are the only option.

How's the weather in Spain? It's freezing here in New England.

Ken
Old 22-01-2014, 08:24   #137

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The thing to remember is that the people who posted to skip St Lucia are right. Rodney Bay isn't safe either, husband killed, wife raped to near death etc. all have happened there before. Just. Don't. Go. There.

Same for St. Vincent, same for Venezuela.

I can be no worse than visiting any large city, such as New Orleans, Miami, or Rio Di Janeiro. The place has many desperate poor, some of which are drug addicts. Its also filled with many fine upstanding citizens.

I wandered around St Lucia for a few days alone, but not after dark. One should just be cautious.

I agree with others, this was a tragedy. I'm sorry for their loss.
Old 22-01-2014, 08:29   #138

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

First, I want to express my condolences to Mrs. Pratt and say how sad I am that this happened.
I have spent considerable time on St Martin, both on a boat and on the island teaching. I have never been afraid, but am careful not to put myself in a dangerous situation. Petty theft is still the biggest problem. On land, we typically use common sense security, e.g. we lock our doors at night. However, on a boat anchored out, we are vulnerable. Regardless of whether you carry a weapon on board or not, I think most agree that some sort of early warning with lights and siren will go a long way toward scaring off most thieves as well as waking you from sleep so you at least have a chance to respond. I still think the Caribbean is relatively safe. I will be cruising the Caribbean soon, and when I do, my boat will have a simple security system that will do this. One system I have been looking at seems like it could work on a boat:
Amazon.com: Fortress Security Store (TM) GSM-C Wireless Cellular GSM Home Security Alarm System Auto Dial System : DIY Kit: Camera & Photo
It is wireless and modular, you can add whatever sensors you want: motion detectors, magnetic sensors to detect door opening (or maybe even on hatches), smoke alarms, CO alarms, high water alarms to put in bilge, gas detector. It also has remote key fobs so you can arm or disarm the system from your dinghy. It has remote panic buttons you can keep at your bedside. It also takes a sim card and, if you have cell coverage, will dial your cell phone or send a text message if triggered. You can also call into the system and remotely arm it or disarm it. It even has a solar powered outdoor siren.
No, its not made for the marine environment, but most of it would be inside the boat, and the external bits are modular and are relatively inexpensive to replace. All this for between $200 and $300 depending on the sensors you get.

Jerry
Old 22-01-2014, 08:46   #139

Mrs Pratt also denied media reports that she and her husband had been planning to leave the island the day before the attack but were kept in the southern port of Vieux Fort by local bureaucrats.

"There was never any sense that we weren't able to leave," she said.

St Lucia widow Margaret Pratt felt safe 'until last tragic minutes' - Telegraph
Old 22-01-2014, 08:49   #140
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

How much is it to stay in a Marina in St Lucia?
Old 22-01-2014, 08:58   #141

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Dave,

Come at someone with a knife or tomahawk in each hand.... it's very hard, if not impossible to defend against this sort of attack... Ken
U
Cool video, but if someone is aiming a gun at you or your wife, thats a pretty big decision to make,,, it could mean life or death for you, a loved one or maybe not. Also very hard to fathom what you would do in that situation, its difficult fo rmany to fathom, that spilt second decision that can change things forever
Old 22-01-2014, 10:09   #142

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec906 View Post
From what I can find, UVF (Hewanora) is the only real choice for air travel to St Lucia. According to Wikipedia, "all airline jet service into St. Lucia including transatlantic international flights are currently operated via the Hewanorra International Airport located on the southeast portion of the island."

SLU (Castries) is used by just a few small airlines; American Airlines does not fly there.

And it's a long taxi ride to Rodney Bay. Don't see that I have another choice though.

-Steve
My flight is American out of UVF............whew!...............WAITAMINUTE. THat is right there.
Uh Oh...........
Old 22-01-2014, 10:42   #143

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
My flight is American out of UVF............whew!...............WAITAMINUTE. THat is right there.
Uh Oh...........
Well, right now, Vieux Fort is probably the safest anchorage in the world. Won't last of course.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Old 22-01-2014, 11:56   #144
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Someone cant use a knife or a tomahawk through a secured companionway. But you can sure use gas!

Gas, gell and flares go though. So you can remain safe inside while the bad guys are on the outside.

I have never heard of an attack, or injuries, on a cruising boat where the people were locked inside at night. People lock up at home but not cruising. Why not????

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 22-01-2014, 12:07   #145

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverley View Post
Hi folks,

I want to ask a question - possibly a dumb question - but if I do not ask, then how do I learn?

I sail only within UK waters, certainly not in the Carribean.

Why did they wait for clearance to leave? What was stopping them from sailing off into the distance? I realise that if you want to go back to a place where you messed up the local paperwork then you could be in trouble, but if you where not too bothered about going back then why worry?
Because the country of you next port of call wants you to have a proper clearance before they let you in their country. They want to account for your days and activities. They want to see your passport with the entry and exit stamps.
Old 22-01-2014, 12:09   #146

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Gas, gell and flares go though. So you can remain safe inside while the bad guys are on the outside.
Likewise, the intruders can pour gas in the Companion way and light a match. It serves both ways.
Old 22-01-2014, 12:12   #147

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Someone cant use a knife or a tomahawk through a secured companionway. But you can sure use gas!

I have never heard of an attack, or injuries, on a cruising boat where the people were locked inside at night. People lock up at home but not cruising. Why not????
Nice ironwork
Can we call it Carib Washboard???
Old 22-01-2014, 12:17   #148

The article I saw said the assailants were armed, but did they say what they were armed with?
Old 22-01-2014, 12:41   #149
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Likewise, the intruders can pour gas in the Companion way and light a match. It serves both ways.
Thats never happened so you're clutching are weird straws to say thats an argument.

I didnt mean gas as in petrol, i meant gas as in CS or capsicum spray gas, bear spray etc. and if someone in the cockpit tries to squirt below if blows back in their faces. Neverthe less you are still secure below and can use the VHF.

One needs to take threats seriously without going into the land of fantasy of helicopter born assaults by hoodlams, or amphibious attack vehicles.

All known attacks come from swimmers, dinghies and pirogues. None have forced their way physically on board whilst people are locked below. All attacks that I know of are against unlocked, or unsecured boats.
Not an exception, but just to note, there was a catamaran last year attacked whilst the door was locked. But the owner opened the fricking door and walked out side to confront those in his cockpit. I dont remember where that was or the boat name.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 22-01-2014, 12:48   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
I guess if they're willing to do that, you're pretty vulnerable all around.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, St Lucia