Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2016, 16:30   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Statia - Caribbean - in bad weather. Tenable?

Looking towards an Easter getaway with a few boats and none of us have been to St Eustatius (Statia).

There's only one anchorage (I think all moorings now).

Weather forecast is E 22k gusting 25 knots from Thursday thru Saturday (at least). No swell prediction yet but, obviously after 4 days it ain't gonna be small.

What's your experience with Statia in those conditions?

Thanks,

Mark

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 07:50   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Statia - Caribbean - in bad weather. Tenable?

Mark - I was there for a couple of days in the anchorage and we had mixed weather at the time with about 15-18Knots but with a northerly swell component. The anchorage wasn't great and there was a certain amount of roll; enough to stir the martini but not enough to topple the glasses or shake the contents. Maybe I'll be staying here after all and not joining you...
Old 21-03-2016, 04:35   #3

There is only one tenable harbor on Statia. There are well maintained mooring balls but there is also limited room to anchor. With the forecast you speak of it will be rolly. In those conditions, a lot of Mariners will deploy a stern anchor to keep the boat headed into the swells. Statia is an enchanting island, worth the effort in my opinion. If you go to our website and click on the Statia link on the homepage sidebar, you will find lots of information that can be useful.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
www.pilotsdiscretion.com
pilotlawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 05:34   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FWIW:

Chris Doyle usually approaches Statia during the day, from the north. A flashing orange tanker buoy lies about one mile west of Jenkins Bay. The half-mile exclusion zone around it leaves plenty of room to sail inside closer to shore. When I take this route, I see numerous unlit tug and tender moorings off the coast between Jenkins Bay and Oranje Baai, some with long floating lines streaming from them. They would be a danger at night. When approaching from the south be aware of false shoal which extends about 300 yards offshore, and note that there are numerous unlit diving buoys put out by Statia Marine Park.

Waves roll up from the south into Oranje Baai, the only anchorage, and they used to make it uncomfortable. A few years ago the Dutch built a small harbor with a fair sized breakwater, and now you can tuck in behind the breakwater for a more comfortable rest. It is best to pick up one of the moorings put down by the Statia Marine Park (VHF: 17). The moorings closest to the harbor wall are the most sheltered. Should a serious swell come from the north, the whole area would become untenable. Once secured, you need to clear in with Statia Port Authority (VHF: 16), and pay your dues at the Statia Marine Park.

Sab & Statia Article

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 06:25   #5

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

If you've ever stayed in the Marina at Basseterre St Kitts which is similar, then you will have an idea of what you will be in for.

That berthing was very rolly. Boats would move in and out of their berths by as much as 10 feet with each wave. I lost two stern cleats while docked there.

It will be very rolly, although maybe Gord is right about the break water. Hope you have a god time, and you remember to tie everything down aboard.

Tags
Caribbean, rib, weather