Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2018, 13:39   #16

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Storing a boat on the hard for hurricane season

Further to what inchcailloch said.. We have been told that the yards in Grenada are full this year. Actually, we heard from one cruiser that they are like 52nd on the waiting list at Clarks Court.

There is a new boatyard in Carriacou that is reported to have space (and is quite a bit cheaper).

Other than that, its most likely Trinidad!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 13:48   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We just lifted out in St David’s at Grenada Marine. From appearances they have a lot of space left, but it may be spoken for, I made reservations back in November.

Anyway I would give them a call if you are looking. I also had to get a blessing from my insurance agency. If insurance is a problem talk to the yard, they may be able to help with that.

There look to be TWO yards in Carriacou. The one mentioned above (https://carriacoumarine.com) and I also saw a new marina being built across the harbor. That appears to be a government run facility. I THOUGHT I saw a lift, maybe not, they may not be operational yet.

Ah, here it is....
http://www.tyrellbaymarinacarriacou.com
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 14:10   #18

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
We just lifted out in St David’s at Grenada Marine. From appearances they have a lot of space left, but it may be spoken for, I made reservations back in November.

Anyway I would give them a call if you are looking. I also had to get a blessing from my insurance agency. If insurance is a problem talk to the yard, they may be able to help with that.

There look to be TWO yards in Carriacou. The one mentioned above (https://carriacoumarine.com) and I also saw a new marina being built across the harbor. That appears to be a government run facility. I THOUGHT I saw a lift, maybe not, they may not be operational yet.

Ah, here it is....
Tyrellbaymarinacarriacou – Just another WordPress site
You saw a lift.. It is open for business, but its a VERY spartan yard.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 14:28   #19

Boat: Prout

Carriacou IMHO is one of the most beautiful islands however within the hurricane zone. The yard will get things in or alternatively Budget Marine will ship items in from Grenada.If he's still there there is an amazing French guy on a converted catamaran in the middle Of the bay who does first class welding etc. He sorted me out with dinghy frame on th4 back of the cat and installed solar panels on the frame to (panels shipped in from Grenada)
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 14:31   #20

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler

We just stored our boat on the hard in Ft. Pierce, Fla. The dinghy had to be tied to the boat. They wouldn't allow putting it under the boat.

We put a lot of towels, sheets into heavy plastic zip bags. Not sure if needed, but...

In the V-berth, we layered the bridge canvas and isinglass with towels for protection.

We brought in everything: cushions that were snapped to the boat, all lines, boat hooks, bumpers -- everything that isn't part of the boat itself (except the anchor maybe).

We had the boat fresh water flushed, as recommended by the marina.
vlathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 14:00   #21
Marine Service Provider

Tell be what category of storm you will have and I'll tell you if it will be safe. Cat 5, forget it, Cat 4 maybe. Doesn't matter, I guess, if Lloyd's will cover on the hard regardless.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 02:27   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Here in Grenada I see a lot of boaters drop their anchor and all chain. This is while on stands. They pile it up on he ground at the bow.

What’s up with that?
Hi, hpeer,

There are a number of reasons for that, one is that they want to re-furbish the chain locker; another, that they will haul it out and re-mark the chain. Those are the reasons that our chain has been on the dock; however, there may be other reasons which I didn't think of tonight.

Ann
Old 29-05-2018, 09:00   #23

Boat: Paceship 26

Hey, We've been purging and are about to sell our house to live on the hook. It will take 6+ months to get everything organized.So Newbie question, I'm trying to read up on insurance so we get the right coverage and do the right planning. We'll most likely end in the Caribbean and have friends in Panama who want us to go there (as far as it is). Hence the question, why do people not sail out of the hurricane area by going to the east coast of Panama, Costa rica or even Belize etc? what are the insurance rates putting it on the hard, versus sailing away. What am I missing?
Blaine4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 09:56   #24

Boat: Prout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine4fun View Post
Hey, We've been purging and are about to sell our house to live on the hook. It will take 6+ months to get everything organized.So Newbie question, I'm trying to read up on insurance so we get the right coverage and do the right planning. We'll most likely end in the Caribbean and have friends in Panama who want us to go there (as far as it is). Hence the question, why do people not sail out of the hurricane area by going to the east coast of Panama, Costa rica or even Belize etc? what are the insurance rates putting it on the hard, versus sailing away. What am I missing?
Going there will be great fun. Unless going through the Panama Canal, returning would be very miserable. Basically you are in The Hole with winds and current against you. I've been fine way but wouldn't contemplate sailing East.
inchcailloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 10:03   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Storing a boat on the hard for hurricane season

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, hpeer,

There are a number of reasons for that, one is that they want to re-furbish the chain locker; another, that they will haul it out and re-mark the chain. Those are the reasons that our chain has been on the dock; however, there may be other reasons which I didn't think of tonight.

Ann

I think it is to off load the weight from the boat.
Some newer production boats don’t fare so well sitting on stands, especially if there are few stands or not set right. I have seen hulls deformed. First Boat I bought, that failed the purchase survey had a deformed hull, Boat come from the Great Lakes and presumably spent every Winter on the hard, maybe its hull was deformed then?
It may not do anything, it may be a local urban legend, but it’s the only logical conclusion I can come up with.
It’s a WAG.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 10:50   #26

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Lots of good ideas here for laying up. I would add one more: Flush the head(s) with fresh water; add a dab of Clorox to the water and then seal the top of the stool with Saran wrap / cling wrap to prevent evaporation. Just remember to remove the Saran wrap when you return to the boat.
edmundsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 18:38   #27

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
Lloyds, in it’s infinite wisdom has declined to provide insurance on our boat in St Martin this summer unless it is hauled on the hard, tied down, with the sticks out of the boat. We have never done this before but have seen lots of other boats stored this way and I decided to try it this year. (Boats on the hard did a LOT better than boats that were in the water last season). What do I need to do to get the boat ready for four months on the hard? What do I expect when I return? Do we need to pack all the bedding into plastic bags? Should I remove the dorade vents and insert the plugs or do I want some ventilation? I was planning on flushing both the engines (main and gen set) with fresh water. Any other suggestions from someone who has done this before?
Nice to see Callisto made it through the hurricanes. I don't know if you remember, but you and your wife gave me a tour of your beautiful boat about 4 years ago. I was in St Martin for a teaching gig and was walking the dock in Anse Marcel and recognized Callisto from Cruisers Forum. I'm so glad she made it through.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 05:01   #28

Boat: Lagoon 42

Looking for a recommendation for a yard to store boat on the hard in Grenada for hurricane season 2019. Any up-to-date advise would be appreciated. Insurance company requires mast to be removed.
Bec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 08:40   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We hauled in Grenada Marine last year. Yard is fine, disappointed in the “service.” But we are going back this year, sometimes you may not be thrilled but it’s the best available.

I’d call or email Grenada Marine, they may have some alternate insurance suggestions that don’t require the mast to come down. That said, they can handle a big mast.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 00:54   #30

Boat: Lagoon 42

Thanks Hpeer!
Bec10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, hurricane, on the hard