Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2015, 09:05   #31

Re: Stuart FL cruising ground impacted by All Aboard FL, aka Brightline high speed tr

It's being built with private, not public funds. Also, it's likely to bring in tax revenues.

I looked for some objective analysis of this, but all I could find were a) developer promotion of the idea, and b) NIMBY opposition, looking for any and all reasons to oppose it.

It looks like to me that the project is going forward, so I guess people should get used to the idea.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:53   #32

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Stuart FL cruising ground impacted by All Aboard FL, aka Brightline high speed tr

In a different life I got a masters degree in transportation planning and my major professor was nationally known as an expert on rail transportation. He was involved in the original planning of the San Diego Trolley. It is the only light rail system in the US that runs in the black, there use to be one in Philly that did.

Basically all folks who use light or heavy rail are getting their fares subsidized by general tax revenues. While it is understandable that folks want a faster cheaper way to travel it is hard for me to justify wanting other folks to pay a price in higher taxes and longer wait times so a few peeps can ride trains.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 10:56   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Basically all folks who use light or heavy rail are getting their fares subsidized by general tax revenues. While it is understandable that folks want a faster cheaper way to travel it is hard for me to justify wanting other folks to pay a price in higher taxes and longer wait times so a few peeps can ride trains.

This is privately funded, so I'm not seeing the connection.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 21:56   #34

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
Not sure how accurate the accounting is from the folks behind this project.

What I do know is this project has applied for the largest single loan from the Federal Railroad Administration. I would hardly call that private funding since the terms of the loan are for 35 years.

As I posted earlier only one, maybe two, of the passenger rail systems in the US are in the black and I see no reason to think this one will turn a profit.

Bottom line tax payers get stuck.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 02:00   #35

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Stuart FL cruising ground impacted by All Aboard FL, aka Brightline high spee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post

Not private funded. It is a cloak.

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/...nderest/nmnyC/

http://www.saveourfl.com/wp-content/...pplication.pdf
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 02:43   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Re: Stuart FL cruising ground impacted by All Aboard FL, aka Brightline high spee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post

The local county view, multi million $ tax burdens.
[IMG][https://www.martin.fl.us/sites/defau..._2015.pdf/IMG]
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising