Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2014, 08:29   #16

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Suggestions for first-timers to BVI

Don't go for your morning swim (between 7:00 and 8:00 AM) if there are 60 charters in the bay (60 times 4 people per boat = 240 heads). Wait till the turbidity of the water subsides. I know the last time I was there I was very inhibited in my swimming activities. Huge ick factor in some of the anchorages.
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 08:35   #17

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

No fear of me swimming between 7 and 8 am unless I've somehow fallen off the boat...
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 08:38   #18

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Yeah - I always try to plan my swims carefully in the bvi and anchor/moor on the windward outside of the field. The charter boats I've been on have specifically instructed me not to route to the holding tank and did have zip ties to prevent this happening. The way they 'handle' it is to tell you to always moor/anchor near a place with shoreside facilities - because obviously people will take a dinghy trip to use a public restroom and there's clearly an abundance of those in anchorages. Never pleasant to drink a cup of coffee in the early morning and see the blooms spreading out from other boats in the anchorage as the toilet paper fish swim by!
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 08:47   #19

Boat: Charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsailor12 View Post
There are very few pump out stations in BVI, so they don't want you filling up the tank and bringing it back to the dock. ... I have been on an older Moorings boat that was plumbed directly overboard.
I don't think they have any sewage treatment plants in the BVI; where do you think a pump-out station would pump to?
sec906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 09:18   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Not sure how other companies handle it, but Moorings, Sunsail and Footloose have holding tanks on all their boats and encourage their use. Keep the tanks closed when in anchorages and empty when traveling between stops as far from shore as possible.

In all our trips, haven't seen any sewage from other boats. I know some of the other companies encourage holding tank use as well, but there are some that do zip tie the holding tanks in the open position.

Personally, I never gave this a single thought booking our first trip, but you can be sure if we were to book with a new company I'd ask if the holding tank can be used - no would mean we'd look elsewhere.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 09:40   #21

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec906 View Post
I don't think they have any sewage treatment plants in the BVI; where do you think a pump-out station would pump to?
Probably to the pipe that leads out in the bay. I don't know. I read that YCCS in north sound has a pump out station. I know that Bitter End has septic systems, so maybe YCCS does too.
Old 19-05-2014, 06:36   #22

Boat: Sea Ray Sundancer 300

Just got back from a week in BVI on a Moorings boat.

Instruckings were to keep the dump valves closed when in port or or moored. Open the valves to discharge the holding tanks when out.
Bud man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 07:00   #23

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2 View Post
We are heading to BVI in a couple weeks for an 8-day sailing trip. The plan is to sail, dive, party and relax. We are leaving from Tortola and would appreciate any suggestions for routes and must-see anchorages. Some party spots and some secluded postcard spots would be great. We are experienced and have sailed several times in the Leeward Islands so we are up for anything. Thanks for the help!
This BVI info may help your planning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BVI_map1.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	81575  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BVI_Itinerary.pdf (99.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: pdf BVI_map1.pdf (518.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: pdf BVI anchorage maps and notes b.pdf (454.7 KB, 100 views)
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 09:42   #24

Boat: Jeanneau 57

luv2 - when are you going to the BVI? I'm in the North Sound of Virgin Gorda and usually monitor VHF68 (even on my handheld I get too much radio traffic with dinner orders to bother monitoring VHF16).
Old 21-05-2014, 18:50   #25

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006

Not that talking about poop isn't worth a few pages of discussion...but can I change the subject off that?

I was there about 2 years ago. Wife just there right now.

Every restaurant near the water (Tortolla, Saba etc) is extremely expensive. Like 40.00 a plate. How does a family live there more than a day on a reasonable amount?

Any list of places to provision, to eat that's a more affordable amount or do the budget cruisers have to just skip BVI?
onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 20:17   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastdaddy View Post

Every restaurant near the water (Tortolla, Saba etc) is extremely expensive. Like 40.00 a plate. How does a family live there more than a day on a reasonable amount?

Any list of places to provision, to eat that's a more affordable amount or do the budget cruisers have to just skip BVI?
Like everywhere else in the world, find out where the locals eat, 'cuz they sure don't go to yacht harbors to eat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 20:52   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Like everywhere else in the world, find out where the locals eat, 'cuz they sure don't go to yacht harbors to eat.
I'll be honest. That's a really flippant remark and no help at all. Is that how you meant it? Was my question of wanting to know where locals eat for less than a yacht club offensive?
Old 21-05-2014, 21:19   #28

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

We try to eat at Happy Hour and more appetizers than entrees. Otherwise, away from the harbors there at some roadside places and local eateries that are much cheaper. Of course buying at the markets and cooking on the boat are even cheaper still. We like Harbour Market at Soper's Hole, good selection, reasonable prices and right on the dock.
Old 22-05-2014, 05:15   #29

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastdaddy View Post
Not that talking about poop isn't worth a few pages of discussion...but can I change the subject off that?

I was there about 2 years ago. Wife just there right now.

I don't know what a budget cruiser is. The people I know that cruise and wish to spend time in the BVI typically provision on St Thomas and cook aboard in the BVI.

Eating on the waterfront in a tourist destination with numerous charter boats dangling off moorings won't be cheap in the BVI. Hit the happy hours, order some appetizers and ask your server where they eat and you can save some money.

Should those suggestions not appeal to you then I'd suggest you head west for a leisurely downwind sail to Culebra to eat well on the water for much less.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 09:45   #30

@azsailor12/Rubikoop: Thank you, much more helpful to have enough info to actually do it or find it or attempt it.

With 2 kids along (7 and 8) bars and free appetizers for dinner won't be an option. Cooking on board absolutely...locations of stores always welcome. Thank you.

We would never openly choose to eat at the marina. We are new, we don't know there is anything else there so we ate where we could. This is why I am here...to ask and get helpful answers.

PS: To those suggesting buying drinks and the food is free is a low cost meal confuses me. Just a drink or two or three add up.