Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 12:02   #1

Support boat for kayaking expedition - Anegada passage

Dear All,

I am currently organising a kayaking expedition from Grenada to Puerto Rico this summer. We are in need of a support boat to accompany us for the 80 mile crossing of the Anegada passage from Anguilla to the BVI - I was wondering if anyone could help? We hope to make the crossing in late July.

Many thanks in advance
Michael Houston
mcwhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:07   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Support boat for kayaking expedition - Anegada passage

Hi, Michael, and welcome to Cruisers Forum. Most of the cruising boats will have left the islands for the hurricane season, but you might be able to find a straggler or some local assistance. Best of luck!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:23   #3

Boat: too many

What a grand adventure. When you mentioned a 80 nm passage, that distance rings a bell for me. Don't laugh but I have an electric kayak that I set up with lithium batteries (8 Winston 100 a-hr cells at 60 lbs total weight) that has that same range per charge. For kayak camping I also pack an 8 lb 50 amp charger that will recharge one of the two packs in the time of a lunch break at a marina.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 14:38   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Have you done that distance in a kayak before?? I've done 100 miles without getting out, but that was in a Kruger. Not the best open water boat.

Even if you only consume liquids for 6-8 hours before, even a properly fitted yaks get uncomfortable after 8 hours. Assuming an average speed of 3.5 you are looking at 24 hours in the boat.

Either way- fair seas
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:37   #5

Hi snore, thanks for your reply.

No I have never done such a distance in a kayak before. However by the time we arrive in Anguilla we will have kayaked over 500 miles already, including one 60 mile crossing. So I hope that by then we will be ready for the Anegada Passage, which I estimate will take us about 30 hours. With rough seas it could be much longer.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:49   #6

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

How many kayakers are signed up? how many do you expect?
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:03   #7

Hi tbodine88, there are four of us.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:40   #8

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Have you done that distance in a kayak before?? I've done 100 miles without getting out, but that was in a Kruger. Not the best open water boat.

Even if you only consume liquids for 6-8 hours before, even a properly fitted yaks get uncomfortable after 8 hours. Assuming an average speed of 3.5 you are looking at 24 hours in the boat.

Either way- fair seas
Pooping is really fun underway...
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 13:02   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post

Pooping is really fun underway...
Trying not to be too graphic.... That is why you go to a "liquid diet" such as Ensure and also some stuff Hammer Nutrition makes, this reduces the volume of "bulky waste" and still gives plenty of calories. A few hours from land you can treat yourself to solid food.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 03-05-2013, 13:10   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwhouston View Post
Hi snore, thanks for your reply.

No I have never done such a distance in a kayak before. However by the time we arrive in Anguilla we will have kayaked over 500 miles already, including one 60 mile crossing. So I hope that by then we will be ready for the Anegada Passage, which I estimate will take us about 30 hours. With rough seas it could be much longer.
I did a beeline from Cedar Key to Tampa as part of an around FL race when I was 55 y/o. Even coming off a long sleep cycle it was impossible to stay alert for the entire Leg. That was coastal, by the time I was really toast I was only 3 miles or less off the coast. When you reach your exhaustion point you will be in open water. Even if you are younger, we all have a real last wall that we cannot overcome. When you reach that point you want to be somewhere fairly safe.

If you are virgins at these distances, you may want to post at www.watertribe.com for input on paddling ultra long distances.

Cheers

Bill
F/K/A SnoreBringGator

PS yes I know it is dangerous, I knew the risks.... I did It!
Old 03-05-2013, 22:06   #11

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post

Trying not to be too graphic.... That is why you go to a "liquid diet" such as Ensure and also some stuff Hammer Nutrition makes, this reduces the volume of "bulky waste" and still gives plenty of calories. A few hours from land you can treat yourself to solid food.
Yup. Or on a budget trip, learn to buddy poop!
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 17:50   #12

Thanks for the info snore but could you explain what Ensure is and why you recommend it?
Old 05-05-2013, 17:51   #13

Also how far is Cedar Key to Tampa?
Old 05-05-2013, 18:26   #14

Ensure is a nutritional drink/shake with yer standard vitamins, minerals etc. that is used as a meal replacement or supplement. Liquid so you are apt to produce less solids.
weto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 13:11   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwhouston View Post
Thanks for the info snore but could you explain what Ensure is and why you recommend it?
As WETO stated it is a way of getting calories in without generating "bilk" waste. There are also some good Hammer Nutrition products. I would suggest you try these things out before doing this or any passage. I would also stay away from cheap or DIY initiations. Garbage in- Garbage out applies to your body as well as computer programs.

Tags
anegada, passage