Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 18:06   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27 "Velocir"
Surfing the ICW ?

Yes I mean surfing, as in on a surf board. My Fiance and I are heading down the ICW and farther south beginning in August. I am from California and sorely miss surfing now that I am on the Chesapeake Bay. Anyone know good spots to surf or good anchorages near surf spots down the ICW. I surfed Coco Beach once and charts don't show any obvious anchorages close by. So in this realm of thinking: Surfing Down the ICW, Ideas? Experiences? Recommendations?
Velocir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 19:18   #2

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
My impression is much of the ICW is a canal/channel, and that surf on the Atlantic is typically beach wash. But then, I'm from the west coast.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 19:24   #3

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
How about Surf City, North Carolina? There is a nice marina just off the ICW, the beach is not a far walk. I am not a surfer but was there in my trawler in Dec 2008, there were people surfing on the (Atlantic) beach side. Not real impressive surf but surfing just the same. That area is also called Topsail Island. It is a good stop!
I wasn't looking for an anchorage but there may be one nearby.
Steve W
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 19:29   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
It's not actually the ICW, but you can get to the houston ship chanel from the ICW

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 19:31   #5

Boat: Tartan 30
there's a lot of east coast surfing along the outer banks and virginia beach area's. they hold pro tourneys on VA beach...

obxsurfinfo.com
callmecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 20:08   #6

Boat: Albin Vega 27 "Velocir"
Excellent Ideas. Marinas are out of budget unfortunately. Keep them coming!
Velocir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 20:26   #7

Boat: Nantucket Islander, 38
Def. must stop is Cape Lookout in Beaufort NC, head offshore from beaufort inlet and take a left nice big protect anchorage and surf from two directions......just watch out for sharks

Really all of NC the beach breaks are decent, Wrightsville beach is a big surfing area, right by the inlet there are good breaks and across the island from the main anchorage there are too (so long as you can deal with big ugly condos)

if you're in a vega, when you get to charleston, sc go down the stono and into the folly river, folly is a great surf town, decent beach breaks walking distance from the boat landing, a few good bars, etc. , inlet is shallow but fine for you

st. augustine area has good breaks, Ft Pierce inlet is good too, you can anchor in Cocoa, Florida anchorages for the most part kind of suck -- basically just stopping along the ditch but hey, it's warm and the surf in the winter is good

Sebastian Inlet is one of the best breaks in FL, no where to anchor super close to it but depending on your draft you may be able to find somewhere -- my boat draws almost 6' so our choices are somewhat limited

Good luck then get to the bahamas -- bahamas in winter has better surf, warmer water -- nice and clear too
brianontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 20:27   #8

Boat: Nantucket Islander, 38
check out wannasurf.com based around where you are -- the reviews aren't the best....but it helps

really the for surf spots on the east, just look for those weather patterns and when it's been blowing hard out of the NE for a few days and it turns to the SW/W get out there, it'll be clean and gorgeous but gone soon
brianontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 13:39   #9

Boat: 1987 Hinterhoeller Niagara 35 Encore
Re: Surfing the ICW ?

I am a surfer living on the Outer Banks. Without a car there is not anywhere around here that you can anchor and walk to the beach to surf. A few years ago traveled the ICW to Florida and back on my Sabre 28. There are not many places to anchor with surf near by. I anchored and surfed in St. Augustine but it was a hike, surfed near Palm Beach FL(walking from an anchorage), surfed Wrightsville Beach, NC(fun place and anchorage is close to the surf). My trip took a total of 2 months and I think its safe to say I did not get any good surf. I missed the only good swell that hit Florida(I was making my way south through Georgia). Knowing a good swell was hitting the East coast I think I walked 3 or 4 miles with board in hand to find knee high chop. I took my trip in May-June, you might have more luck in the last summer fall with hurricane swell.. but then you have a hurricane to deal with on the boat!!

If you REALLY want to get some surf. Come to the Outer Banks, then head for Wrightsville Beach, then who knows!
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocir View Post
Yes I mean surfing, as in on a surf board. My Fiance and I are heading down the ICW and farther south beginning in August. I am from California and sorely miss surfing now that I am on the Chesapeake Bay. Anyone know good spots to surf or good anchorages near surf spots down the ICW. I surfed Coco Beach once and charts don't show any obvious anchorages close by. So in this realm of thinking: Surfing Down the ICW, Ideas? Experiences? Recommendations?
New Smyrna Beach.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:11   #11

Check out surfline.com. The sight has web cams and surf reports for the entire East Coast.
jmo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:16   #12

Ponce Inlet just south of Daytona. The outflow from the inlet help build the surf.

After that, maybe Lauderdale on an incoming tide and strong east wind.

After that: NADA, nothing, zip zilch.

FYI, the surf is smaller, but the water is warmer than Cali.
Jonesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:12   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

sebastion inlet, Florida
Old 11-04-2011, 17:23   #14

Boat: 48 Privilege - Full Monty

Yes, there are several places to surf and anchor along Topsail Beach and Wrightsville Beach, NC. August is not a good time for surf unless and Hurricane is developing. Sept and Oct can be be very fun for hurricane swell. Masonboro inlet in Wrightsville Beach has only boat access or paddle the channel to the island. Surf City on Topsail Island has good surfing next to the pier but locals can be a little rough with newbies. Just don't drop in (on) and all should be good. Seven Seas cruising site I believe has the location of several anchorages.

Also, in Beaufort,NC there is Shackleford Banks (sp?) where you can anchor behind and hike over the dunes to catch nice swell.

Wil
Surf City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 17:28   #15

Boat: mt34dt

North Jetties Jax Fl, hang a left on St Johns river and cruise to the north side jetties at mouth of St Johns, or anchor on river near Heckscher Dr and hitch a ride to the beach, plenty of folks going that way. Once you start surfing someone you meet will give you a ride back.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw