Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2017, 10:26   #1

Boat: Tartan 3700
SVI's...next week

We have a charter in the SVI's for a week starting 11/25. After the hurricane the charter company did not offer for us to cancel and we didn't want to cancel anyway... so we're going. Our few contacts in the islands also recommended we not cancel either.

The charter company is using some of their boats to shuttle supplies around and we're going to offer to do the same if there is anything that we can do to help in that area.

I've scoured all kinds of forums and from what I've found it looks like Culebra is in decent shape and they're ready for and wanting business but there is limited information on Vieques. My understanding is that Esperanza was very hard hit and they're still short on food and water so we're considering not going there so as not to be a drain on resources (though we would be self sufficient.)

I'm wondering if anyone is in the area and can give me any more information.

Thanks! Brian
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 16:11   #2

Re: SVI's...next week

We sailed there in February, out of Fajardo on a '48 Jeanneau sloop from Sail Caribe. Is that your charter company?

They will know where you can and shouldn't go, but if Esperanza has any businesses open I'd go there, too. They certainly need the business and there's a cheap mooring field only yards from downtown.

Ditto with Culebra. If the Dinghy Dock restaurant is serving anything edible, buy it. There's a mooring field nearby but it's usually full. There are also plenty of places to anchor within 100 yards of the Dinghy Dock and a great mangrove protected mooring field about 10 minutes north of Dewey.

In summary (!), if the charter company tells you ANY businesses are open anywhere, go and spend a few dollars. Enjoy.
dwmCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 11:20   #3

Boat: Tartan 3700
Re: SVI's...next week

Thanks for the info. Sail Caribe is the charter company and we have been in contact with them and of course will discuss when we get there. I chartered in April of 2015 with them but this is obviously a different situation, but I’m sure it will be a good time!

On a Jeanneau 479...guessing it might be the same boat, it looks like they only have one.
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote