Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 07:37   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
I have just as much chance of getting robbed or murdered in the islands as I do in the good old U.S.A
Actually, the odds are higher in much of the islands than in many parts of the USA.

Regardless, to answer the original question, tasers are considered "weapons," and are regulated just as strictly as guns, in most of the Caribbean nations. In fact, even here in the U.S., they are regulated just like guns in some states.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:20   #32

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig
Agree to Disagree?

Like religion and politics, this debate could go on forever. I think the best compromise to these competing views is a solid bat(baseball or cricket) on board. Great for other uses including the sports they are intended for; but could be handy if ever needed.
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:15   #33

FlareGun not so stupid

The use of a flare gun is not so stupid if used in conjunction with some gasoline. A couple of water bottles filled with some gas and used Molotov Cocktail style would more than deter most if not all pirates! You probably would not even have to ignite it! How about a newer can of WD40 and a cigarette lighter? All legal and better off than being shot and dumped in the oggin.
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 19:49   #34

Boat: Peterson/Formosa 46 "Hoopoe III"
I had to add my two cents on this thread. I agree with the people who feel that there is no need to carry firearms on boardespecially when visiting a place where they are not needed. I find the people that need to own them and keep them ready to use are as much a danger to themselves as those around them. Now having said that, my opinion only, I have to tell the readers about the most effective detterent to "sneakaboards" I have ever seen. I ran into a guy in California years ago who cruised around on a tug. His security consisted of the biggest, meanest rooster that every patrolled a foredeck. This thing had to stand about three feet tall.You couldn't set foot on board without this monster confronting your arrival. One false move and your big toes would be subjected to a menacing assault and if you valued your life you prayed for the owners intervention. Another interesting approach to security was utilized by a longtime livaboard in Bequia who made it common knowledge with the locals that he kept a large snake on board. The snake was known as Louise and the owner, Jack Lindsay, as Jack the snake man. The snake was really only a large Batique screened version but the rumour, encouraged with a little voodoo or obiah was all it took to keep the population wary. It just goes to show you that a little creativity can go a long way
zoombats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:19   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Robertson & Caine 4600 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing
Like religion and politics, this debate could go on forever. I think the best compromise to these competing views is a solid bat(baseball or cricket) on board. Great for other uses including the sports they are intended for; but could be handy if ever needed.
I'll stick to my wasp spray. Has a 30' range.
SAMPATICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:25   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

I'll stick with 'Poverty'.... cruisers spot it miles away...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:40   #37

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45
Becareful that intruder could be a harbor policeman or other offical who is checking up on you. Or a neighbor anchored a hundred feet away from you. So be sure who it is, before going off half cocked over intruders.
Now what if I put up some electric fencing... Use to do that when I owned a farm. the neferious intruder grabs a life line and zap!! But wait it could be your neighbor or that offical again... Well it sounded like a good Idea.
Motion activated lights and doorbells seems to be the better Idea here. Your decks are lite up and you are awaken by those annoying chimes sounding.
A trip wire on the ladder way? or a snare? both inside the boat? Hmmmm!
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:50   #38
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
say you put up electric fencing and the intruder shocked himself and then fell in an as he's was shocked , drowned. Thats a man trap, you could be charged with manslaugther in a lot of countries.

but hey its an idea!.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:12   #39

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Tying a lifeline to a bell below decks might be a good idea. If I was living aboard by boat, and not in a lock patrolled marina in the US, I would like to rig something that at least would wake me up and give me options. Even the most pacifist among us would probably like a "door bell" to warn of midnight visiters.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:16   #40

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
say you put up electric fencing and the intruder shocked himself and then fell in an as he's was shocked , drowned. Thats a man trap, you could be charged with manslaugther in a lot of countries.

but hey its an idea!.

Dave
Hey I put the electric fence there to keep the sea lions off my boat...
they replied there are no sea lions in this area.
and I came back with; See, it works....
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:46   #41

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
I don't have or want any weapons. If it's my time, so be it. It's not like they're a bunch of wealthy hedge fund managers, from what I gather, pirates pretty much live hand to mouth.

What would I do if I were poor, lived on an island, had a family to feed, and saw a bunch of rich folks flaunting their wealth day in and day out? Don't know, but sure glad I never had to make that choice. (I know this sounds a lot like Long Island, but I was actually referring to the Caribbean.)
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:43   #42

Boat: Boatless
In 3 yrs cruising full time and chating to hundreds of cruisers over a beer or a sundowner the topic of 'guns on board' has never surfaced once...and this is with some very good friends who I would trust my life to!

Do what you think is best for you and accept the consequences but do not tell the boat next door let alone the entire world on the internet.

Avoiding dangerous locations, locking the boat and having bright lights and noise-makers are very effective means of 'self defense.'

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:55   #43
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Computer " End thread", " Kill program", " end holodeck simulation", " Overide Riker1234" god will it go away.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:23   #44

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig
Why not offer the wife or girlfriend over to the intruder? Can't think of a better deterrent!
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote