Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 08:06   #1

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Temporary import of German vessel into US Virgin Islands

Hi,

I am about to buy a 34 sailboat in the Caribbean. The current owner has her registered in St. Maarten.
As I plan to sail her next summer to Germany I will register her in Germany now, as I can not keep the St. Maarten flag.
I am aware that I need to pay VAT and get a CE stamp when arriving in Germany. Both is prepared.

Now to my questions.

I want to keep her over the summer in St. Croix Salt River in the USVI.
A friend will look after her and do some work on her during that time, to prep her for the Trans Atlantic next spring.

I need some advise now, regarding the temporary entry into US waters, as I could not get hold of US customs.

Does anyone know:

1)
How long a European boat can stay in US VI waters without having to pay VAT or import duties?

2)
If a bond needs to be left with USVI officials until she leaves the USVI again.(Rumors say that this is not the case if works are to be carried out there).

3)
Does anyone know how high this bond would be? The vessel is about 20000€ worth.

Many thanks for your help,

Franziska
Old 07-04-2012, 12:36   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Temporary import of German vessel into US Virgin Islands

Hello, Franziska.

I found a document at http://www.cbp.gov/ImageCache/cgov/c...asureboats.doc which seems to address your situation. It downloads as a Microsoft Word file. The red highlights are mine.

I've extracted a few pertinent quotes from it, below.
Quote:
NONRESIDENTS. A nonresident for Customs purposes is a foreign visitor to the United States, a person emigrating to the United States, or a person who left the United States with no intent to reestablish residency.

Nonresidents may bring vessels into the United States for their own use without having to make formal consumption entry or pay duty on the vessel. Informal entry at the first port of arrival must still be made, however. If a pleasure boat that was admitted duty free is sold within one year of its importation without paying the applicable duty, the vessel or its value, which will be recovered from the importer, will be subject to forfeiture. 7

TEMPORARY STAYS/IMPORTATION UNDER BOND. Boats entered for the following purposes may be entered without payment of duty as temporary importations under bond:

· Alterations or repairs,

The length of stay in these circumstances is normally one year and may not exceed three years.
And...
Quote:
If the boat remains in the U.S. for longer than 90 days, the importer will be required to post a bond. (If the importer knows that the boat will be in the U.S. for longer than 90 days at the time of entry, the bond should be posted when the initial arrival takes place.) If the boat is in the U.S. for more than 90 days, and a bond has not been obtained to satisfy the conditions of a Temporary Importation Under Bond (TIB) the boat will be subject to forfeiture.

Bond is taken in an amount equal to twice the estimated duty. Cash may be deposited in lieu of surety on the bond. The bond (or cash) will be refunded if the boat is exported under Customs supervision within the time limit required by the TIB.
And...
Quote:
RATES OF DUTY. Pleasure boats are generally dutiable when imported into the United States.[1] The following duty rates apply to boats imported for recreational purposes:

Sailboats and motorboats other than outboard motorboats........1.5 percent
It seems that a refundable bond would be required in your case.

As with all things dealing with Customs and Immigration, it would be prudent for you to personally contact the appropriate authorities to confirm the requirements.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:31   #3

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Awesome.

Many thanks, looks like the final green light :-) Perfect.

Details point to that they want 2x 1.5% Boatvalue as Bond = 600 € which would be okay, especially a it is refundable on exit.

Cross your fingers..