Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 06:06   #1

The ARC

How many weeks before the start of the ARC would you recommend being in the Canaries..?
ABAYLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:33   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: The ARC

Where are you coming from and how ready is the boat for a transatlantic trip? You'd want to plan the passages to the Canaries with enough time to not have to travel in inclement weather and the more stuff that needs to be done to the boat the longer you'd want to schedule there.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:48   #3

Coming from Portugal and hopefully (touch wood, fingers crossed) won't need much stuff needing to be done.
ABAYLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:51   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

from my experience 4 weeks before, most of the activities( lectures/parties) start about 2 weeks before departure, Las Palmas is a good place to work on the boat., better then southern portugal in my experience.

Dave
Old 04-04-2011, 09:53   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57

While I haven't done the ARC I've spoken with many who have and my boat did the ARC with her previous owner and still had a lot of paperwork aboard so I would frame my question as - how early can I get there? This is because the ARC offers many activities and services (as part of the entry fee) that you need quite some time if you with to take advantage of everything.
If time is a constraint and the boat in shape then you'll just have to plan the weather window from Portugal and that is hard to plan exactly. Actually, if time is a constraint then perhaps you could sail the boat down very early in order to guarantee that she is there and can then fly out and back in good time for the event.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:58   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

agree with Zanshin, lots of people arrive at the end of August and september, to avoid getting caught up in autumnal storms further north.

Dave
Old 04-04-2011, 10:20   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis Clipper 473 - named Beyzano

We are coming from the UK, leaving in June and hope to be in the Canaries by early October. This is because I may need to return to the UK for a few weeks. Plan to be in Las Palmas by first week in November so we have time to relax before the ARC office opens 7 November.

Look forward to meeting you there :-) Safe trip.

https://www.beyzano.com
Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 16:50   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Hi,

I am here (in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands) and I have supported numerous ARC crews over last 3 years.

Try to arrive into Puerto Deportivo (Marina Las Palmas) so that you can catch up with all the seminars and social life. Otherwise, Las Palmas does not offer all that much and perhaps you would rather take your time and check whatever the other islands have to offer - there are outstanding things on Lanzarote, Fuerteventura, Tenerife, Gomera, el Hierro and La Palma too! If you have never been here before and have any problem choosing the must sees I can give you some tips.

Remember the ARC starts late so do NOT delay your departure from the peninsula (Spain/Portugal). It is much less of an issue if you are going to visit Marocco on your way down.

For now the local boatyard IS NOT functional and it is hard to say when it will be up and running again. It may be still down when you arrive so plan your haul out accordingly. There is wifi in the marina now.

There is a more strict attitude with the infamous lighthouse tax now so keep your receipt when you pay the first share. If you do not have the receipt, you can get charged twice. It is a bit of money - so get the receipt and keep it.

You will get a full package info from ARC.

Should you need any local knowledge I am always willing to share.

Cheers,
barnakiel
Las Palmas
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 17:04   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
agree with Zanshin, lots of people arrive at the end of August and september, to avoid getting caught up in autumnal storms further north.

Dave
You are correct - if departing from ports on the W face of Portugal.

One can depart towards Canaries from S Portugal / S Spain any time of the year although off course it is much nicer if done earlier rather than later. We have sailed to here both in June and in October and the difference in sailing comfort was beyond words.

Departure from S Portugal / S Spain should be timed after passage of (if/any) Low and only if there is no nasty Low coming. 4 day forecasts are pretty good on that already. OPC for charts and practically any source for gribbed data.

If coming down in anything less than a huge cat try to avoid taking off when big swell is forecast. Autumn swell will be beam-on and will ruin your day, or two.

An alternative is to coast via Marocco. Another is via Madeira / Porto Santo. I cannot recommend the Madeira route late in the season though.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:12   #10

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

The others have given great advice if you are arriving to join the ARC, but not sure from your original question if you are.......or if you aim to avoid the ARC crush?

If the question was asked so you know when the marina starts filling up (and when they really are not looking for NARC boats seeking berths) then I suggest two of three weeks prior to race day is when they normally ask NARCs to move over and anchor in the harbour.

Enjoy
JOHN

Tags
arc