Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2018, 11:35   #1

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.
The Grenadines. My latest charter

Just got back from my last charter in the Grenadines.
I always enjoy these islands as they are one of the best place to sail in the Caribbeans.
The island we stopped from Blue Lagoon marina.
Bequia
This island is sooo nice. You get one of the best island experience there. The people are nice and proud. They like talking with travellers.
Of course they depend on yachts for a good deal of the business this island gets.
The rasta market is still an experience. Be sure to meet Mr President if you shop there.
Tobago cays
We went there as we got a hit surf warning from the north. A big storm in the Atlantic near the US coast was pushing big swells all the way to the Grenadines. Bequia was already very jolly and some dinghy docks actually got ripped off by the surf.
Options were Clifton or Tobago cays. Mayreau, Canouan were of limit.
Tobago cays was a good choice. Most of the surf got stopped by Canuan and the reef. But the wind was blowing from the west and south west. This is very unusual and made the anchorage very crowded. We ended up over the sand bank nest to horseshoed reef. I was not sur the spot was ok until the wind finally came back from the east. Spend 2 days there snorkelling and hiking the small islands.
Saw a few black tips sharks out on the reef and many many turtles.
It was the first time my guest got to feel the trade winds.
They had never experienced the relentless nature of these winds. But they did appreciate the cooler temperature.

After 2 days we set course for Petit Martinique. Time to fill up those water tanks and Petit Martinique has a nice side to dock. The sailing was perfect. Filled up the tanks and then dropped the anchor in Petit St-Vncent for a swim and lunch before heading up to Union.

Union was very crowded. No room for anchor, so we took the last mooring ball right in front of Happy island.
Spent most of the rest of the day walking around town and stopping at nice little barre.

We left Union fo Mayreau. Arrived in Salt Whistle bay early as i expected it would get crowded. The conditions were still rally so I elected to take a mooring ball as far from the beach as possible. I could see the boats near the beach getting rolled by the swell.
The water was murky from all the waves stirring up the bottom.
We went up to the village. We always bring gifts for the kids. They have a new community center at the little church up on the hill.

We had to be back to St-vincent so we sailed back there. Bigger waves then what I'm used to get. 25kts winds and left over swell from the storm did make this sail a bit of a rodeo.
We split the sail in 2. We sailed all the way back to Bequia and drop the hook for a quick lunch and swim.
At 15:00 we set off for St-Vincent.
The wind was more out of the east the north east. So I manage to sail right out of Admirality bay and all the way up to the blue Lagoon on one tack.
Ended up being Young island to drop the sails and come in by motor in the lagoon. We took a mooring ball from Barefoot and spent our last night there.

We were on a 42 feet catamaran. My wife and I were the only experienced sailors on the boat.
our 6 guests however loved the experience and want to do it again.
There fear of being sea sick was conquered, the boating life style was accepted and they loved it.

Cant wait for my next charter.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter