Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 15:55   #31
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Thieves in Viequez, Spanish Virgins Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
to minimize thefts of dinghies there are certain measures to take in prevention...such as locking to boat AND raising out of water.. ALWAYS do this.. and lock dink to boat while lifted..

too many are not locked yet complain of thefts....

No kidding. So to prevent thefts, don't use your dinghy.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 16:31   #32

Boat: Privilege 45 & Irwin 33 MkII

In Vieques now. Dinghy was cased a few hours ago, and I expect a visit some time tonight. Tuff whenyou can't report a crime that hasn't happened yet! Probably will not get a reply to this, or one intime, but is anyone who sees this missing (in Vieques) a NAB dinghy which had ID numbers in orange (or maybe red) on the sides (near center - both sides - maybe 3 inches tall [now painted over - total dead give-away there's something that's been hidden under there]), and the hull has been painted blue on the bottom - about 3/4 of the bottom - more in the back than front - paint also goes on to tubes near rear? This is the dinghy that followed us all the way from Sun Bay, back to our boat - stopped and circled back as soon as they saw where we park the dink - we're the only boat at this part of Esperanza harbor (so no reason to come here other than case our boat). This dinghy was brought to the beach (right in front of us) from a vehicle parked in the bushes and assembled there with a shiny new yamaha 15hp motor, as more young men watched every move we made while we swam near our dink. They had a friend on a jet ski make it to Esperanza ahead of us, then the ski lead that dink (which was much slower than ours - we have a 25hp speedster of an ugly dink - and now I'm sure a prime target - old Mariner motor) right to where we were. They came back twice more to make it look like they were just cruising around, but I observed each time they were eyeballing for how we had the dink tied to our boat. If I didn't commit to a bunch of work here, I'd have left today. It will be a long next few nights...
BOATDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 16:47   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

raku--you seem not to read well. i stated that in order to keep your dink safe that you must lock it to boat and lock engine to dink and lift the entire thing out of water every night.
it is sad to lose your transportation to shore. but it is sadder still to not pay attention then lose your stuff due to not diligently locking and lifting out of water.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2012, 18:50   #34

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

I notice that no-one mentions the use of anti-theft devices when they report their dinghies stolen,,i would think a good air raid siren type system would scare the beejeezus outta them,,,and at the very least would alert people to the event as it was happening.
As it is there are no locks which can defeat a thief,,,you can only slow them down and discourage them.
Remember that on Land or Water Thieves are opportunistic they will only steal what people let them.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 11:50   #35

Nowadays you have to leave someone sitting on the dinghy while the rest goes in
for food or what ever. Its what the world has become. I would stay away from that
area all together. They won't get any of my money.
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 11:57   #36

Boat: Cal 2-27
Talking Re: Thieves in Viequez, Spanish Virgins Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
I notice that no-one mentions the use of anti-theft devices when they report their dinghies stolen,,i would think a good air raid siren type system would scare the beejeezus outta them,,,and at the very least would alert people to the event as it was happening.
As it is there are no locks which can defeat a thief,,,you can only slow them down and discourage them.
Remember that on Land or Water Thieves are opportunistic they will only steal what people let them.

So are you saying that a sailor with a gun would be less likely to have a dinghy stolen should the gun be brandished? And a sailor with no ACTIVE security in place has a higher risk of being taken advantage?

Sorry, could not resist
Old 26-06-2012, 12:24   #37

Boat: Hunter 50 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
So are you saying that a sailor with a gun would be less likely to have a dinghy stolen should the gun be brandished? And a sailor with no ACTIVE security in place has a higher risk of being taken advantage?

Sorry, could not resist
FOUL! The post didn't mention any form of weapon and certainly not brandishing a gun. Memo55 suggested the use of a siren that would sound to startle the would be thieves and alert other people in the area.

Okay everybody. Move along. Nothing to see here
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 16:50   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, BOATDOCTOR.
I hope you'll return here, and let us know what has actually transpired.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 17:06   #39

Go to Culebra. Its safer.
Aguila4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 17:10   #40
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

culebra may be safer but i would still keep the dink locked and lifted every night religiously.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 17:45   #41

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

I used to tell visitors to my home turf,,"Dont walk like a victim" with very few exceptions a person can walk safely anywhere in this big old world.
I'm not saying it's all rosey everywhere you go,just saying you carry your Armour with you in the form of readiness and attitude.
Zee has put it the best way,,,,Lock it and lift it,,and for everything else i say,,get something that will make a fuss for the B**tards and i promise you they will be more likely to move on to easier targets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by videorov View Post
Nowadays you have to leave someone sitting on the dinghy while the rest goes in
for food or what ever. Its what the world has become. I would stay away from that
area all together. They won't get any of my money.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote