Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2017, 07:13   #16

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II
Re: Thornless Path - 2017/2018

One can make the case that every year is a good year to go to 065*ish and then south. See Tor Pinney's "Florida to Caribbean - The Skippers Route"

Tor Pinney's Homepage - A Cruising Sailor's Homeport

It is my understanding that Antigua fared OK and that would be a good place to land before going really south in the Windward Islands until the Leeward Islands recovered somewhat, perhaps by spring 2018.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 08:15   #17

Boat: Beneteau 423

Have been in luperon for irma and maria. Max wind in the harbor in irma was about 65kts mostly 45 to 50. No issues and no damage to any boat or infrastructure. Maria was a non event. 35 kts max. Some boats from st martin made it here just 36 hours ahead of irma. 50+ boats from north coast of the dr.
sjcdwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 16:34   #18

Thumbs up Re: Thornless Path - 2017/2018

I too am planning that route through the Bahamas starting this winter and look forward to comments on this thread.
keithasully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 17:54   #19

Boat: Caliber 38

subscribing to thread as well
Old 28-09-2017, 04:57   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Dockwa is attempting to make a comprehensive list of damaged marinas. It is mostly about USA marinas but also has sections for PR, Bahamas, and Carribean.

It seems they have not updated yet since Maria. Stay tuned?

Hurricane Irma Marina Status | 2017 Hurricane Season Marina & Waterway Damage Status Report
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2017, 05:35   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cross posting a link to a thread on St Maarten.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...en-191704.html

Elsewhere I heard Barbuda was 100% evacuated, no humans period. First time in 300 years.
Old 28-09-2017, 05:48   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Puerto Del Rey in Puerto Rico reports as follows on their website.

"The damages were minimal to the marina thankfully. Out of the nearly 1,500 boats at the marina less than 30 were lost. All boats in the dry stack survived and we will be open for business for transient boaters within the next 3 weeks. Phones are down and cell signal is non existent in Fajardo but we're coming back online in San Juan."

San Juan Bay Marina reports "no major damage" on their Facebook page.
Old 01-10-2017, 13:04   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From BVI Yacht Charters

Hurricane Irma Update 2 from BVI Yacht Charters

"The trees are getting green, the beaches are still white and the sea is gorgeous blue. Fortunately our underwater world was not damaged by the hurricane, so the snorkeling and diving will still be breathtaking! We still have our friendly, laid back atmosphere and many island beach bars are already setting up a cooler and umbrella ready to serve you a painkiller or two! "
Old 02-10-2017, 09:11   #24

Boat: Saga 43

Our boat is in Puerto Rico and fortunately was unharmed. The plan is to pick the boat up in mid/late March, sail for a while and then join the Salty Dog Rally back to Annapolis in mid May. I am not sure where they will leave from this year but I do know that the Fall Rally is arriving in Antiqua rather than the BVI.
peeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:15   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cross posting from another thread here

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-191704-2.html

Poster...AQUADREAMS

----------

Regarding BVI, I received the following update today from an BVI based charter broker I use. Take it with a grain of salt since I'm sure they're putting the best spin in the situation. Fingers crossed for everyone there.

PS - I suppose I should find a BVI thread to post this to instead of the SXM topic.

- Joe
------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by safariKY View Post
Which charter company in the BVIs will be up and running in Nov? Having asked that question, what about the restaraunts and bars cruisers frequent? I.e.: Cooper Island Beach Club, Foxy's, Quitos, Soggy Dolllar, Ivan's, etc. if these tourist spots don't re-open soon, it is bound to have an effect on the charter industry.

Regarding BVI, I received the following update today from an BVI based charter broker I use. Take it with a grain of salt since I'm sure they're putting the best spin in the situation. Fingers crossed for everyone there.

PS - I suppose I should find a BVI thread to post this to instead of the SXM topic.

- Joe
------------

Twenty-two days post-Hurricane Irma we are seeing daily rainbows by way of positive news coming to us from every area of the Virgin Islands.
The Cyril E. King Airport on St. Thomas reopened to commercial flights today and there are plans to reopen St. Croix’s airport next week.
The Native Son and Road Town Fast Ferry resumed their daily schedule run between Road Town, Tortola, BVI and Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, USVI.
Premier and Minister of Tourism Dr. D Orlando Smith said, “One of the British Virgin Islands’ main economic pillars, the tourism industry, will reopen for business as early as November. Despite losses, charter companies are already working to ensure guests enjoy the sailing capital of the world this coming tourist season. By the end of November, at least one property had made it clear that they will have 120 boats in the water. I have no doubt that others will do the same.”
ARK, The Association of Reef Keepers, has been able to determine that the wreck of the RMS Rhone and some other sites were almost completely untouched by the hurricanes.

The BVI Tourist Board team visited Anegada and “were energized to see the recovery in full swing.There is damage but the island fared better than its neighbors. Relief supplies have begun to arrive daily and ferry services have resumed.” The team believes Anegada will be ready for Lobster Fest in November.
Need a beer and a burger on Tortola? No problem. Local establishments like The Watering Hole, The Chicken Bus, and Rudy's Bar are providing people with "a place to go" check emails, have a beer and meet with friends.
We have many reports that Foxy's, Soggy Dollar, The Willy T, Myett's, and many other fan favorites will be open for business by November or December. And as always the natural beauty of islands shimmers on in the water at The Baths, The Indians, The Caves and beautiful beaches.
Many of our bareboat companies plan to be reopened by December. These include BVI Yacht Charters, The Catamaran Company (mid-November), Dream Yacht Charters (November), Footloose, Horizon Yacht Charters, MarineMax, The Moorings, The Moorings Power, Navigare Yachting, Sunsail, TMM Charters, and Virgin Motor Yachts.
Conch Charters, CYOA, and Voyage Charters plan to be up and running early 2018.
The majority of our Crewed Yachts fared well through both hurricanes and the crews are anxiously awaiting the day their yachts are once again filled with charter guests to cruise through the beautiful islands. Many yachts are now accepting reservations for charters as the gorgeous blue water, golden beaches, and newly refurbished establishments will soon be ready for enjoyment by welcomed guests.
In an email update, Virgin Motor Yachts said Only 1 day after the storm Nanny Cay had already ordered all new docks for the marina (which will be here in less than 4 weeks), power and water have been restored, and they have committed to hosting the large crewed yacht boat show in November. The surrounding islands that are visited mostly by tourists will recover quickly, foliage is already growing back, bars and restaurants have started to rebuild already so the forthcoming season will take place. We have also learned the first cruise ships will begin returning to Tortola in November.
Our hearts go out to all those affected by Irma and Maria; the residents who lost their homes, communities, and livelihoods, the crews, owners, and companies who lost their yachts, the local establishments and marinas that are working hard to clean up and repair for the upcoming season. We are honored to be a part of the rebuild by providing a way to help the economy by bringing tourism back to the people of our beautiful islands.
Please visit Hurricane Irma Relief to see many ways you can help make a difference to aide the people of the Virgin Islands.
Old 04-10-2017, 16:30   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Title says it all.

Marina Conditions and Updates | Cruisers' Net
Old 04-10-2017, 17:05   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's my current working itinerary. This comes from seeing St Augustine is going to be closed for a long time. And I suspect the AICW is going to be a mess for our 6-1/2' draft.

Leave Jacksonville and run the coast to Canaveral, cut due East across the stream, then head for Strangers Channel to get onto the Abaco banks. That's North West of Green Turtle a good bit. There are a couple of other easy channels along that coast.

Work my way down to Georgetown and wait for Wifes blessed retirement on Christmas.

Then run South through the Windward Passage stopping at the resort on the SW coast. Then along the South coast of the DR stopping for a few weeks in a secure marina.

Cross to PR South of the Mona and coast the South shore of PR.

Then follow the traditional thornless path to the Virgins before heading South.
Old 22-10-2017, 14:32   #28

Half way down the thorny/thornless path already (yes I know it's a little early!). Bimini had some dock damage, but no problems to clear in there.
Crossed Bahamas bank to Bird Cay picking up a nice Mahi on the way.
Bird Cay->Nassau refueling in Lyford Cay Marina.
West Bay of Providence Is->Highbourne Cay = no issues asides from some squalls.
Highbourne -> Shroud Cay.
Shroud -> Warderick Wells.
Warderick Wells -> Big Major Spot/Staniel Cay (Staniel Cay YC closed for renovations until first week of November - get the grouper fish fingers).
Big Major->Big Galliot Cut.
Outside to Elizabeth Harbor, Georgetown - Georgetown off season but operational, bought diesel and gasoline, groceries, liquor.
Georgetown to Rum Cay with a nice big fat Mahi on the way.
Rum Cay to Mayaguana Is - tough passage with strong SE finally turning E.
Mayaguana to Sapodilla Bay, T&C - tough passage with strong SE. Water on Caicos Bank currently very cloudy so unable to see coral heads - exercise extreme caution! Visit Bob at Southside Marina for diesel/gas. Some roof damage and some places still without power but looks like everyone is working hard to be ready for November when tourist season picks up.

Next up, French Cay -> DR.
All with a 7'3" draft...looking forward to the deeper water. Hope that helps someone.
TravelingAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 15:31   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Very, very helpful indeed!

We will be crossing late November to early December.

Please keep it coming.
Old 22-10-2017, 17:02   #30

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcdwright View Post
Have been in luperon for irma and maria. Max wind in the harbor in irma was about 65kts mostly 45 to 50. No issues and no damage to any boat or infrastructure. Maria was a non event. 35 kts max. Some boats from st martin made it here just 36 hours ahead of irma. 50+ boats from north coast of the dr.
Those mountains are high, and Luperon has always been a great hurricane hole. Those fouling beasties in the harbor, though, are legend.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote