Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2023, 07:55   #1

Tobago Cays questions

Tobago Cays basic layout is like this as you head east...
Mayreau
East of that a reef protecting Mayreau
Then a few more reefs
Then Petite Rameau
Then the big horshoe reef
Then outside that more reefs before you hit the abyss

Where is the best snorkeling for a strong swimmer. Inside the horseshoe? Outside the horseshoe? Those outer reefs that could be tough to access? Somewhere west of Petite?

I am heading there this summer and don't want to waste time on sub-par snorkeling when epic snorkeling could be hidden a few hundred yards away. I have learned that life thrives in adverse conditions, both in the ocean and for men. I assume the best spots may not be very popular due to difficult access.

If the forecast is decent, can you overnight around Petite Rameau or is it better to hide on the leeward side of Mayreau before sunset?

Finally, I see reference to 4 BBQ on Petite Rameau.
1) Captain Kojack Beach BBQ
2) Carlos Beach BBQ
3) Alphonsos Lobster BBQ
4) Romeo Lobster BBQ and beach party
Anyone have a recommendation on which of these to choose/avoid? Are these "family style" barbeque where you pay a flat rate and just eat whatever they have on that day?
RIglehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2023, 09:30   #2

Re: Tobago Cays questions

I didn't get the chance when there last year to snorkel the horseshoe area, inside or out. I was however pleasantly surprised by the snorkeling in the area I highlighted in red on the attached image. Depth there was a fairly steep drop from 5' to 40'.

You can take a mooring or anchor in the sand area east of Petit Rameau in the horseshoe just west of the coral heads. In light conditions you can take one of the moorings right off of Petit Rameau on it's east side with the beach right on your stern, but it's way too choppy when the wind is up.

The calmest moorings are between the islands right off of the beach where they have the lobster bar-b-que, but it's a high traffic (slow speed, no wake) area and you need to grab one of those moorings early in the morning because they are desirable as you can just swim to/fro the bar-b-que.

Biggest drawback by far is the highly aggressive nature of the all the boat boys. Absolutely beautiful spot, one of the most beautiful in the world, but don't expect any peace and quiet, or to be left alone. If you bar-b-que with Alphonso, then Romeo will hate you, and vice versa. They are all basically the same and set their tables up next to each other. 6 of one, half dozen of another, IMO.

I loved Salt Whistle Bay on Mayreau, had a great stay, but when a slight north swell kicked up it became untenable with waves crashing on the beach that made dinghy landings impossible, so visit in settled weather.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tobago_cays.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	270336  
Old 22-01-2023, 18:22   #3

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

For snorkelling best is inside the reef near the dingy pass.
If you go outside the reef make sure you have someone following you with a boat. Strong current.
Best is to hire a dive master and arrange for a drift dive outside the reef.
Not to bad snorkelling around Baradel. Not Epic but nice Lots of turtles and rays.

Best BBQ is Romeo. Good honest service. But summer is off season for lobsters.
You can anchor in or near the mooring fields. The reef offers a good protection.
If high winds with high tide consider anchoring between Petit Bateau and Petit Rameau.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 23:51   #4

Boat: Westsail 32

Depending on the draft of you vessel, you can also anchor in the shallows. Behind the reef. There's a cut in the outer reef through which you can take a dinghy. From there you can explore some of the outer reefs and islands. Honestly though the snorkeling is just OK, at least when I was there. Lots of turtles, and rays, maybe the occasional nurse shark.

It's cheesy, but here's a relevant clip from when I was there on my boat, that includes the location of that dinghy pass.
https://youtu.be/f5A3TjDO5Ak?t=482
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Tobago