Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2007, 09:41   #1

Question Transat from Gib to Caribbean with 2000 mile range...

Hi

I am shortly departing Gib bound for Antigua in a 90ft power yacht, we have a 2000 mile range and therefore I am looking for the shortest route, which I guess is Azores to Caribbean.. Any experience on the weather at this time of year (November) for crossing East to West that far north?

I have only ever sailed across in the traditional manner..

Any ideas or suggestions very much appreciated.

thanks

Cameron
yourskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 10:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
If you want to find out what the weather does historically from month to month for a given area then check the Pilot Charts.

The shortest route between two ports is not necessarily the best route, even in a power boat. You may need to do some weather routing.

In addition to Pilot Charts, you will need a way to gather near real time weather information while underway and have a backup for that equipment.

Atlas of Pilot Charts

Pilot Charts

Enjoy your cruise!
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 10:26   #3

thanks

Hi

thanks for that, I have used pilot charts before, but I just feel that everything is changing so much with the weather at moment I am not sure how reliable they would be...

however I will get hold of a recent set. thanks for the links.

C
Old 26-10-2007, 10:51   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Pilot charts of course are an average. They are intended for planning a route in order to minimize the chance of bad weather or to help you get a better feel for what you may find along your intended route. They can tell you it is a really bad idea to go to the north polar ice cap in January although in reality there may be a weather window that would allow you to do this..hah! . They are supposed to be a 7 year average meaning of course that they are not going to be completely accurate. All they can do is tell you statistically what are the better routes for you to take. The only thing that is certain will be the near real time NOAA satellite images/pressure/wind/temperature/precipitation/swell charts and less so the NOAA predictions. That's the best you are going to get. I would still at least have a look at a pilot chart for the month you are planning on going so you can see if it is even worth going that month because of the chance of running into some really bad weather.

Good weather planning is more about probabilities than knowing exactly what is going to happen. You only know what is going to happen after it happens.

Cheers,
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 11:12   #5

Boat: Freedom Express 39 - Attitudes
If you have a SSB radio, I would definitely give Herb a call and get him to route you across. He is very good. You can get him on 12359.0 starting at 2000 UTC. He generally works his way from West to East across the Atlantic. If you don't have a SSB radio, it would be worthwhile getting a radio that can at least listen to SSB (there will quite often be someone near to you that is getting a forecast).
Old 26-10-2007, 17:32   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
A quick look at the charts suggest that the leg from the Azores to the Caribbean is perhaps 2100 miles, which is about the same or a bit longer as from the Cape Verdes.
Both are a bit of a stretch for your range, but the Verdes route would be run with wind, current and waves behind you, while you had better have a lot of fuel in reserve for headwinds on the northern route. While the total distance through the Canaries/Cape Verdes is perhaps 500 miles longer, you are going to have a lot better weather and much lower risk of damage on the southern route.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 01:39   #7

thanks

Hi

yes, Id thought of Cape Verdes it sounds like it might be a good option, do you know if I can get good fuel there?? I would need at least 12000 ltrs..

Thanks for your advice
Old 27-10-2007, 05:10   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourskipper View Post
Hi
yes, Id thought of Cape Verdes it sounds like it might be a good option, do you know if I can get good fuel there?? I would need at least 12000 ltrs..
Thanks for your advice
Don't count on it.
Fuel is usually available in the Cape Verde islands at: Mindelo, Praia (ENACOL pontoon), Boavista, Fogo, & Santa Maria.
Be prepared to transport in jerry cans, and prefiltre the fuel.

Most yachts cruise from Gibralter to the Canary Islands (Lanzarote and/or Las Palmas ) departing in mid-November en route to Antigua .

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 05:20   #9

re fuel

hummm... that would be 105 X 25 Gallon drums...

dont fancy that!!

thanks for tip
Old 27-10-2007, 06:41   #10

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Check out Noonsite for the new marina in Mindelo, Sao Vincente--Mindelo also sounds like a common fuel stop for superyachts...I just got an email from a friend who is headed into Mindelo and is about a day out. I can ask them to check out the current fuel situation.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 09:53   #11

great

That would be super!

thanks for the help

C

Tags
Caribbean