Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 09:15   #1

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004
Transatlantic - December - Canaries-Caribbean

I have a post similar looking for crew, but Figured it'd be a nice stretch here. Looking for must see destinations, but also other Skippers heading this way?

Anyone crossing around this time?
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:56   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Transatlantic - December - Canaries-Caribbean

ARC takes off in Novemeber. Around this time and soon afterwards there tend to be numbers of people asking for a ride. You can pick and chose.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 15:38   #3

Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

People at the Canary Islands I presume?

November is too soon for us.
Old 09-08-2013, 15:52   #4

Yes. They come from the continent, all sorts: young ippies but also regular and serious dreamers, sailors and veggiebonds (mostly French, some Brits, some Germans, etc.). Colorful crowd.

Few take off with the ARC which is too posh and plush to accept a real person onboard. Some lag behind and if you come after ARC departs (which you will do anyways as LP marina does not accept non-ARC boats during the ARC) then you may still encounter a couple of such persons here. And some of them make good crew too.

b.
Las Palmas, Canary Island
Old 10-08-2013, 02:36   #5

Noted on the crew, I think we are going to try to stick to a small crew. Too bad on the ARC, but hopefully there are some boats leaving. Is there a sign off, or roster at the marina skipper's usually put up there info on?
Old 10-08-2013, 06:53   #6

ARC departs Nov 24 this year and so Nov 25 and onwards you can get a berth here no problem. Before then, and after mid-Sept, boats can use the anchorage (the anchorage in LP is not allowed from March till Sept).

As soon as you are in LP you will start running into such wishful 'sailors' and sailors wishing to go. They will post their info wherever they can: lamp posts in the marina, laundry room, at Pepino's, etc., there is also a large board facing the 'International' pontoons - full of 'take me'notes , s/h equipment adds, etc.

I think this kind of people they linger around till about New Year's day, then head back for the peninsula (that is for the continent).

b.
Old 14-08-2013, 04:07   #7

Sounds Like I should be showing up around a good time then. Sounds like the ARC is above my pay grade.

Are you able to provision there fairly cheap, or should I really try to stock up before getting to the island?
Old 14-08-2013, 06:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowers2004 View Post

Sounds like the ARC is above my pay grade.

Are you able to provision there fairly cheap, or should I really try to stock up before getting to the island?
1) ARC: Worry not, ARC would not accept you. There is a bottom size limit and we are below that bottom. But it is a fun event - because I always have fun looking at their 'parade' here: pale and sad people waving their national flags. Hey, relax folks! Sailing should be fun! ;-)))

2) Provisions: There are big and inexpensive supermarkets here, a green fresh stuff market, a Russian food shop, a US/Brit food shop, a German bakery and Swedish konditori, etc. We are an international city and with Canary Islands much poorer than the continent, our prices seem relatively low too. The only catch is we are islands and so if there is anything strictly continental that you want, get it on the continent.

Cheers,
b.
Old 14-08-2013, 11:47   #9

That is good to hear! I'm assuming fuel is a bit more?

Are there any must stop places in morocoo near by, or should we just come straight to the island?
Old 14-08-2013, 12:03   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Transatlantic - December - Canaries-Caribbean

I don't know if it still is true but VAT (IVA) was at 10% in the Canaries... unlike the higher rate on the mainland....
Madeira (Portuguese) is the same... in Portugal its currently 23%.. which is why many on the Algarve drive over the border for white goods and their weekly fuel... and a weekend break..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 16:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowers2004 View Post
That is good to hear! I'm assuming fuel is a bit more?

Are there any must stop places in morocoo near by, or should we just come straight to the island?
Not sure, I do not use diesel, I use wind. I think it is roughly 1.15 now and it looks expensive related to 0.60 about 4 years ago.

Morocco some people like it, others less so. I only know Agadir and it is OK with its Western style marina and a manager that speaks all languages. But otherwise there is nothing there as the town got destroyed by a massive earthquake some time ago and then rebuilt in a typical Spanish Costa del Sol crap holidaish style.

I have heard very good things about Essaouira - like they are supposed to have a proper old way market there and plenty of original architecture, narrow streets, etc.. People say it is well worth a visit.

Investigate locally on arrival as I know some marinas there are very expensive. Commercial harbours are not too expensive but they are just that and you must be aware to other users (mostly the fishing fleet) you are just a boat - so berth accordingly, fender well and be ready to move and co-op as required.

VAT (IVA) irrelevant (formerly 5&6%, now varied levels upwards of 7%) matter as we are islands and so everything is more expensive to bring in. I find goods basically continental price level on average. Things balance out.

Try to arrive in a boat that is technically ready for the crossing. You can get or build nearly everything here, but this is maņana country and it is better not to leave any important jobs onboard to be done here - unless you are very easy going and do not care much about time. With the weather we have here, you cannot blame locals for being somewhat less than optimally efficient or accurate at solving involved technical matters in any predictable time horizon ... ;-) BYO, DIY, enjoy local food and wine and relax.

b.

Tags
aries, Canaries, Caribbean, rib