Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2009, 16:09   #31

Boat: All kinds of 'em, from 9' dinks to 100+' motoryachts, power or sail...
Send a message via Yahoo to robw_fl
Sugus,

It sounds like you are serious enough about your intentions, so I thought I'd drop in about 1.5 cents or so.

I just took a 42' Sea Ray out to Anguilla in the Leeward Islands. Stated in Pompano here in FL. I have to say, I've had some preconceptions, and maybe, admittedly a couple misconceptions about the boats in the past, but it held up and took the heavier water better than I anticipated. The Mona Passage put us through some interesting times, and there were some other hiccups along the way...but for the most part, the boat did OK. I will say, I was actually impressed compared to what I thought I would be dealing with.

I will say, however, that that was only about 1500nm or so. And the boat, once we reached Road Bay, was, well...a small toll had been taken. Let's put it that way.

So it's pretty common knowledge though that Sea Ray, as someone else mentioned, does not build a bluewater boat. I know you have time on your side, so you can wait for that 'perfect' weather, but I think I have to go on the record and say that if I was planning on this kind of trip, I don't think a Sea Ray 50 would be my first pick.

I like your thinking/adaptability to the idea of shipping the boat for the long hauls - that is a wise, and due to range (and build, in my opinion) issues, pretty necessary option to explore. But there are still a lot of coastal miles to be covered. And no matter how much time you have...I'm sure more than once you'll find yourself dealing with the unexpected...this is when it can become quite apparent that you are on the right...or maybe not so right...boat for the job.

Just do your research as you seem to be starting to do, and make sure you're doing the prudent and safest thing for you and your family...and all that said - good luck!
Old 31-08-2009, 06:59   #32

Boat: Sea Ray 50 sedan bridge ERRANTE
Yep , we are realy serius about our future boating life , one can of course question the boat but thats the one we have and it will just have to do for a while , one day we will hopefuly be experienced enough to choose the so called ideal boat. We will most probably start our journey in march , let the sea Gods ( the others too ) be with us.
Thanks for yr advice and we will of course keep you informed of whatever progress we make.
sugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 07:08   #33

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
sugus:
Just a clarification question: you are in Switzerland and the yacht is in Florida, USA. Are you US citizens? Where is the boat "documented?" Is it "registered only" by Florida and has no "home country federal level" papers?
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 07:20   #34

yess I am a Swiss citisen living in Switzerland owning a house in Florida where we spend part of the winter .
Our boat is registered in the BVI as this seemed to be the easyest way to travel the world .
Old 31-08-2009, 07:27   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Sugus: when you get ready for some serious looking check out the Kadey-Krogen Northsea's and there are other power cruisers that are specifically built for ocean crosssings. See: 48 Krogen North Sea Classic - San Francisco - Boats - Ships - krogen 48 north sea
Also: 2004 Kadey Krogen North Sea Widebody Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
and: Nordhavn - Power That Is Oceans Apart
- - There are other custom built power yachts that are built for ocean work. There is a good builder in a boatyard somewhere in the Carolinas - I forgot exactly where.
The choice of THE boat is surely difficult ,I think that one needs experience to find the right vessel , the one we have might not be the ideal one but its the one we have and it will have to do for the time being , later , whenever later is I know we will have to change to what we will think then as the best.
Thanks for yr help and for yr concern
Old 31-08-2009, 12:50   #36

A trip around the world in a small boat such as you describe, with two people and a dog, is dangerous and subject to unforeseen conditions and emergencies. Please give this more thought before you embark.
Beverly Stayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 20:35   #37

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
There is a parallel thread on this forum called " Essential Personal Qualities of Offshore sailors" in which I add - lunacy, denial, no fear of mortality and others have listed may others. I added those in humor as when told about heading out into the oceans most folks (like Beverly above) think we are crazy. Which is good because they stay home and we get to go to fabulous, exciting, and peaceful places and avoid crowds.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009, 21:04   #38

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
There is a parallel thread on this forum called " Essential Personal Qualities of Offshore sailors" in which I add - lunacy, denial, no fear of mortality and others have listed may others. I added those in humor as when told about heading out into the oceans most folks (like Beverly above) think we are crazy. Which is good because they stay home and we get to go to fabulous, exciting, and peaceful places and avoid crowds.
That sounds like a plan to me.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:19   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly Stayart View Post
A trip around the world in a small boat such as you describe, with two people and a dog, is dangerous and subject to unforeseen conditions and emergencies. Please give this more thought before you embark.
We will give it , of course much thought , proof is we joined this forum.
50 feet is not that small , the main problem would be the range on our fuel capacity and that one we solve by having the boat shipped , going to sea is allways adventurous , we just want to have fun following the sun
Old 01-09-2009, 12:15   #40
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
If that's the boat? It is advertised for $649,000.00. I would sell the boat, and buy a proper boat to do the trip, and put $200k, or more in the bank. Possibly as much as $400k in the bank.

I am curious if you have any offshore experience? The reason I am asking is that you seem to want to take a boat not built for the purpose when you could well afford to purchase a proper boat. You may not need an EPIRB, but please do be sure to have one. Chances are you may need it. Lack of experience, and the wrong boat can be a very bad combination. The thread below is a fantastic example of these 2 combinations. I am not you, and I do not completely understand your situation, but I would give the thought of a different boat for this purpose. BEST WISHES in it being successful no matter what you choose.......i2f

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ice-20095.html
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:57   #41

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Remember the fuel prices in the Pacific.

In Tonga we got Duty Free Deisel!!!!!!! Yippee! NOT!

US$2.65 per LITRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So your 600 gal tank full would cost 2 271 x 2.65 = $6018
You take 2 tons of diesel on a 39 ft boat??
idpnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, round the world