Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2017, 05:57   #1

Turks and Caicos murky water

Hi all, we arrived in Turks and Caicos last night and we're planning to head east across the banks tomorrow to stage before crossing to the DR. I've never been here before so I'm surprised how murky/sandy the water is. There is no way that I can see any coral heads let alone the bottom even in 9ft depths...which is obviously concerning. Does anyone have any experience with this - is it from the strong E/SE winds that have been here the past few days, or could it be from the recent hurricanes?
-Any advice on transiting the banks with this issue(draft 7'3")?
-Possibly considering staying off the banks to get to Big Sand Cay as apposed to taking the W-E rhumb line from French Cay...
TravelingAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 07:01   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Re: Turks and Caicos murky water

We transited years ago with crystal clear water. We were dodging coral heads the entire trip, and they were not all where shown on the charts. I couldn't imagine doing the bank without good visibility. If it's a west to east passage, even worse as the morning sun makes seeing heads much harder. We had a 6 ft draft.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 07:05   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I’ve crossed the banks with 5’6” draft. There is no way I would consider doing it with murky water. We had gin clear water for the crossing.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 14:19   #4

So I was able to get some local knowledge. Post hurricanes the water was milky, now it just looks "sandy/cloudy" so it's improving but still a bit of a crapshoot with a 7'3". I will stage at French Cay and aim for DR from there.

But things seem like they are moving along here in the rebuilding getting ready for tourists back at beginning of November. Our best way to support them is to come and spend money and enjoy the islands.

Southside Marina near Providenciales was a great help today with chart information, arranging customs and immigration to come out and supplying me with diesel and gasoline - and I wasn't even staying at the marina (the entrance is too shallow for my deep draft). Call on Bob here for help when you're in the area.
TravelingAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 09:48   #5

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

The reason is most likely IRMA. The murky water in Marathon just cleared a week ago.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 10:27   #6

Go down to French key..stay overnight ,,leave
Around 2:00pm the folliwing day keeping the
Banks to port...this gives about 30 mile of cover
From open water befire jumping off to luperon.
If you have chosen a good window to do this in,
24hours,,,,you should have an easy trip across,,
If not,,drop back to one of the western anchorages
And move east the next day..no drama...
Done it many times...
If checking in at luperon,,watch the thieves there.
Go into town and change your dollars first,,then
Check in with the correct change..
Sail safe.
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 00:08   #7

Boat: Montevideo 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingAussie View Post
Hi all, we arrived in Turks and Caicos last night and we're planning to head east across the banks tomorrow to stage before crossing to the DR. I've never been here before so I'm surprised how murky/sandy the water is. There is no way that I can see any coral heads let alone the bottom even in 9ft depths...which is obviously concerning. Does anyone have any experience with this - is it from the strong E/SE winds that have been here the past few days, or could it be from the recent hurricanes?
-Any advice on transiting the banks with this issue(draft 7'3")?
-Possibly considering staying off the banks to get to Big Sand Cay as apposed to taking the W-E rhumb line from French Cay...
I am about to fit Garmin Panoptix 3D forward looking sonar. Can't wait to try it on small murky water inlets.
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 07:44   #8

Good luck on your crossing. I would be interested to hear how things are in the T&C (other than the murky water), since Irma and Maria both hit them pretty hard.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 09:31   #9

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 42F

I am curious, if you head for Luperon, why do you cross banks instead of going around? In deep blue water?
pskudlarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 14:57   #10

Boat: Valiant 40

Old thread but always relevant.

The banks clear up very quickly when the wind dies and it is worth waiting for that to happen. If you leave Provo early in the morning and head SSW by the time you get to where you turn east the sun is high.

The point of crossing the banks is to get a good bit if easting in so that the crossing to Luperon in the prevailing easterlies is easier/doable. From French Cay you need the wind north of east, better yet a solid NE to reliably lay Luperon. I've done it and as a single hander with a 6' draft I would not cross the banks unless I had to. Exhausting all day motor. I'd rather miss Luperon, lay El Castillo, and then motor up the gorgeous coast the next morning in the calm.

Conditions here in Luperon have improved with the new camandante. You don't get shaken down anymore although there "bribes" expected we're modest in the grand scheme of things, like a dollar or two more.

Tags
Turks and Caicos, water