Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2010, 14:58   #16

Location: On a small Island in the mouth of the Detroit river looking over Lake Erie
Boat: Formula SR1, 357 - Flyby , Houseboat 30'- Party Shack, Wahoo 16 - Yahoo
pirate Great thread

Wow this is a great thread! We're set to sail a 44 Lagoon out of Roadtown the last week of February. While I'm trying to be cool about it, I've found that everytime I look on the web, I find more interesting things about BVI, which in turn makes me dig more. The wife thinks I'm addicted to the net.

I'm convinced that one week in the BVI will just scratch the surface. I've been marking up chart with useful info and many of the post on thread will be added to the chart. Thanks to all who post here, I'll be watching!
Rick Marcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 18:23   #17

Extend your trip if you can...

...one week won't be long enough. My wife Karen and I did our first ten-day learn to sail vacation in the BVIs in Feb '08 and we have chartered there four times since (in addition to two weeks out of Antigua and a week out of Annapolis). Every trip has been fantastic, but one week is just not long enough for us. So much to see and do, it'll take many trips. Anegada is fantastic, the Indians is a must for snorkeling, Saba Rock in North Sound on Virgin Gorda is hard to beat, and Savannah Bay is about my favorite anchorage anywhere so far in my nascent sailing experience. Partying yourself silly on the Willy T, singing at Foxy's, limin' at Soggy Dollar, swimming ashore at Sandy Spit, snorkeling with tarpon at Monkey Point, grilling all by yourself on the hook on the back side of Peter Island...the list is endless.

If you find a small part of the joy that we have in this unbelievable place, you will be very fulfilled...

Enjoy.
JustHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 18:39   #18

We will be back in the BVI for 2nd time on Nov 5th and also have Anegada on our itinerary this year.It looks like we will head for Anegada on the 8th after spending the night at Bitter End and then on to Jost for a couple days.Will be on a moorings 46 cat,will have a small camo flag flying.Maybe will see you on the water.What goes on at the full moon party?
silverlining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 08:01   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Just returned from our trip and I have a few things to add.

1) Fallen Jerusalem. The Bath's are definetely worth seeing, but you can spend the day moored at Fallen Jerusalem and the snorkeling is excellent there. We were the only ones there and we stayed the entire day enjoying relaxing and snorkeling.

2) Angelfish Reef. There are two mooring balls on the SE side of Norman Island, just SW of the Caves and West of the mooring balls for Pirates. We dove this spot, but saw some spectacular stuff after diving while on the surface. It's a spot well worth snorkeling! From the surface we saw a number of fish in closer to shore and heading back to the boat a spotted eagle ray and a turtle that hung out eating on the bottom and then surfaced not too far from us. I was 5' from him at one point and he just swam around grabbing a few breaths of air and then headed back down. It was an awesome experience.

3) If you want a quiet night or a loud rowdy night where you won't bother anyone else, staying on the mooring balls outside the bight (S of the caves) is the place to be. We had the place to ourselves one night we were there.

I'm sure I could add more, but these were some that really stood out that we hadn't seen/done before.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:03   #20

Location: On a small Island in the mouth of the Detroit river looking over Lake Erie
Question What about st John

Thanks to all that post here. I spoke to a friend that just returned. He hired a gofast and a captain and zoomed all the way to the Bitterend and back in a day. He recommended one of the bays off st John as a "do not miss" place to go. I told him that I don't think the charter company allows it's boats to go there. He said it is very common to ask the charter company for permission and get it and the customs thing is no big deal. He made it sound as if it's very easy.

If anyone has experience in this please comment.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 02-11-2010, 11:05   #21

Boat: Allures 44
I'll second the motion for Monkey Point on Guana Island. A great spot if it's too windy for exposed places like the Dogs. The Tarpon are almost always there.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:15   #22

Rick,

As far as I'm aware, most charter do allow going to the USVI as well. You just need to let them know so they can go over proper procedures with you.

And while you can zip around as much as you want, doesn't that really defeat the purpose? I planned out our whole trip and we did have some long stretches here and there, but generally each day we spent in a different area and in most cases we sailed to get there - motored a few times on the shorter trips or in lower winds. We enjoy sailing, but want to enjoy all the activities there are in addition.

There is so much to do and see that you simply won't fit everything in over a single visit. While it is generally easy, it does take time to go through customs, so I wouldn't suggest going to the USVI from BVI unless you are going to go for a few days. If you just have a week long trip, spend the whole time in BVI and go back another trip for USVI.
Old 04-11-2010, 16:45   #23

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Marcum View Post
Thanks to all that post here. I spoke to a friend that just returned. He hired a gofast and a captain and zoomed all the way to the Bitterend and back in a day. He recommended one of the bays off st John as a "do not miss" place to go. I told him that I don't think the charter company allows it's boats to go there. He said it is very common to ask the charter company for permission and get it and the customs thing is no big deal. He made it sound as if it's very easy.

If anyone has experience in this please comment.

Thanks,
Rick
Most Charter companies will allow you to visit USVI. The problem is do you have time and do you want to do it legally?

It is most probable the person was speaking of Leinster Bay/ Waterlemon Cay on the North Eastern end of St. John and only about a mile from Sopers Hole in West End Tortola BVI.

The problem is you would have to check out of the BVI, best at West End then go to Cruz Bay St. John a fair haul and back to Waterlemon Cay. If you are all US citizens you will only need to leave St. John and check back into BVI when you finish. If not all US Citizens you would have to go back to St. John to check out before returning to BVI to check In. If you are one of the unlucky ones that can not come to the US on a private boat.... such as British it is even more difficult to get their legally.

I was a Bay Host for the Dept of Int. St. John National Park at Waterlemon for over 4 months last year as a volunteer. It is a great place and I know many of the visitors were probably not properly cleared into the USVI but we were not permitted to ask those questions. However the US Coast Guard and the National Park Services Marine and Park Officers do check boat for various stuff. The USCG makes passes though on a regular basis and I have seen them force boats to go with one of their boats back to the US Customs and Immigrations office in St. John or St. Thomas in a couple of cases.

If you are going to be down more than 10 days it may be worth it if your all US and want to see Cruz Bay which is somewhat interesting. It may not be worth your time if you are on a schedule which is in itself a mistake!

I have found the best trip length to be between 4 and 6 months to see a good portion of what you really need to see.
Old 05-11-2010, 20:42   #24

Jack- Your are living the dream! We boat quite a bit but usually only on weekends, cuz we work so much. One day we hope to chuck it all and go out on the water for years. But until then we can just squeeze out a week or so at a crack. Thanks for the info.
Rick
Old 05-11-2010, 20:56   #25

pirate

Maytrix - Your logic is hard to beat. We know it's gonna be tuff with the option overload.... just in BVI.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 07-11-2010, 13:45   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Marcum View Post
Maytrix - Your logic is hard to beat. We know it's gonna be tuff with the option overload.... just in BVI.
Thanks,
Rick
So True! The last trip being our second, we repeated a few stops but also had many new ones. And we still haven't stopped in all the possible places. We haven't even touched Peter Island and still have a number of harbors to visit on the others.

That's one great thing about the area. You can keep going and see new stuff each time! Next trip we will definetely get to the bubbling pool. This time the group opted for the Soggy Dollar bar.

With the group we go with, most of our movement is driven by dive sites so we move around each day and limit ourselves in some areas which is why the bubbling pool was out
Old 13-11-2010, 11:42   #27

FWIW

My 4th time - this was our itinerary...

WED 20 - briefing and sail by 2 PM latest (after picking up provisions etc). Sail to Cooper Beach club for dinner (awesome, awesome restaurant).

THU 21 – Sail to Scrub, maybe Guana and the Dogs then dinner in North Sound/SABA/BEYC

FRI 22 – Quick sail to VGYH (slip or ball? 495-5500 http://www.virgingordayachtharbour.com/vgyh/default.aspx ) rent car - the baths (snorkel) tour VG, Spanish Town/copper mine – The Sea Dog Pub- Why not satisfy that burger craving?

SAT 23 - Sail to Trellis/Marina Cay via North Sound (lunch at SABA) - FULL MOON PARTY!!

SUN 24 - Trellis to JVD - RUBEN CHINNERY plays at Soggy Dollar (495-9999) between 2PM-4PM then Foxy's for dinner?

MON 25 – Sandy Spit/Cay & Brewers Bay and arrive CGB at about 4 PM – pick up car. Drive to Soper’s for dinner at Jolly Roger? Check out the night life in CGB. Cocktails on the boat. Walk on beach?

TUE 26 - CGB – Tour Tortola all day, drop off car at 5, eat at Quito’s and Quito (495-9051) sings for first time of the season!

WED 27 – CGB to Soper’s for lunch at Pussers then shopping then sail to Norman - Bight - Willy T

THU 28 - Norman - Nanny Cay - fly back to SJU and home.
busyengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 20:45   #28

even going to the BVI 2x a year...may not be enough!

Tags
British Virgin Islands