Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2022, 03:45   #46
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Update: Virgin Islands Customs requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Just this if an airline says

“ please arrive at the airport no later then 3 hours before departure. “ I think every one understands that

As I said “ later “ coupled with “ before “ means counting backwards.
Old 28-05-2022, 05:53   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Just this if an airline says

“ please arrive at the airport no later then 3 hours before departure. “ I think every one understands that

Yes, if your flight is at noon, arriving at 9 is fine, but arriving at 11 is too late. Everyone understands that.

Just as I would have thought, before reading this thread, that everyone would understand the parallel text in the BVI rule,"Must submit a test taken no later than 48 hours before arrival" to mean that if you arrive Wednesday at noon, a test taken Sunday is fine, but a test taken on Tuesday is too late. Which is of course the opposite of what they obviously want, which is a fresh test taken within 48 hours before arrival.

Of course it's a typo or a wording error. What started us down this whole weird rabbit hole was people saying that it was easy to interpret the BVI rule as meaning the opposite of what it actually said.
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 21:38   #48

How about this one. I ran into this trying to fill out forms to go to St Maartin.

“The date of arrival in Sint Maartin must be before +3days.” Whaaaaat??!!

We finally figured out that it meant that we were filing the form too early and even though St Maartin didn’t require testing for those fully vaccinated, you couldn’t file until it was 3 days or less to your arrival. Wow! Let’s see how confusing and hard we can make this.

Good luck on the BVI’s.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 09:32   #49

Thank you merrydolphin, and everyone.

If we can move on from the semantics discussion, I was wondering about the timing to catch a ferry to West End, Tortola after landing in St. Thomas at 2:02 pm.

Using this website https://usvi.net/information/transpo...erry-schedule/

it appears that ferries leave Charlotte Amalie at 3:40 and 4:30 (Smith's); 4:00 (Native Son). Of course, the info on that site differs from what the ferry companies say. For example, I just called Smith's and they told me that the only ferry that stops at West End leaves at 2:30, but only stops there if 10 or more passengers want to (otherwise it goes to Roadtown).

I asked if it would be likely that I could catch that 2:30 ferry if my plane comes in at 2:02, and she said yes, call them when I land. That seems rather iffy to me, but it would be great! They urge me to book my ticket now, but if my plane is late, or for any reason I miss that ferry, I may have to switch to another company and hassle Smith's for a refund.

So far it seems like the website sources for much of the needed info about ferries, Customs, COVID, etc. tend to disagree, not be up to date, are confusing, or do not indicate a date at all. Who knew going on a vacation could be this much fun?

Anyway, if any recent travelers want to share any observations about the timing of flights and ferries, whether booking ahead is advisable, etc. please chime in.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 09:51   #50

Boat: Jeanneau 57

There is not a chance of you catching a 2:30 ferry with and arrival at 2:00. Zero. Zilch. And the chances of getting a refund on a pre-booked ticket with one of those ferry companies is even smaller.
Even assuming your flight is on time and that you have no baggage (which is pretty slow to arrive in St. Thomas) you still need to walk to the exit and catch a cab to Charlotte Amalie, those don't leave until they fill up with 6-8 passengers. The ride is only 10-15 minutes from the airport with no traffic. But then you need to queue up for the ferry, and they shut down the counter long before the ferry leaves, and stop accepting customers, too. Plus they have limited the number of passengers per ferry as well, so you might get there but not have a place aboard. If you have sufficient time to catch your ferry to the BVI then it is now advisable to pre-book due to the limitations on the number of passengers; that used to be very different.

I'd recommend going to the BVI forum on TravelTalkOnline - Forums powered by UBB.threads and post your question there - that's the best source for current information on the ferry schedules.

The only way to get information on the BVI ferries is to call them, the websites all contain incorrect information.
Old 30-05-2022, 11:53   #51

Zanshin,

That is very helpful. Just when I start to wonder if it was really worth it to post some questions, I get some insight from someone who has been there.

BS'er

P.S. I heard back from Native Son, they said they do not make the stop at West End.
Old 30-06-2022, 13:46   #52

Trip Report:

I just got back from a 3 week charter in the USVI, and wanted to thank Zanshin and all the others that supplied useful info.

After all the stress about COVID, Customs, and ferries, I was able to get to the BVI and pick up the boat, and get back to St. Thomas the next day. As predicted, I could not make the last ferry from Native Son after my flight landed, but they refunded my money to my credit card, and I used the last ferry, Aquatic Rentals in Red Hook, to cross to Roadtown. I think the total cost to me in flight changes, taxis, and ferries was around $350.

Customs was pretty quick on Tortola for me, but probematic the next morning for the staff captain to clear out, which took hours due to some computer glitch. (They would not let me single hand the boat to the USVI, so I asked for them to supply someone so I would not double the extra cost.)

I showed my negative test (less than 48 hours old) on both sides and the Customs at Cruz Bay went smoothly for us both. We were the only travelers there, but if a cruise ship or even ferry came in, I suspect we would have been there a while.

I had 2 groups of friends join me in sequence, and as U.S. residents there were no issues- the COVID test requirement was dropped just in time. All had a good time. It's true what they say, St. John is beautiful, and we dove the pier in St. Croix and went to the bioluminescent bay one night.

Good times. We should be grateful for what we are lucky enough to experience. I am...

Tags
customs, men, Virgin Islands