Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 11:52   #1

Boat: Irwin 38
US base for cruising Bahamas / Caribbean?

Here's my current thinking. Would love your feedback!

I want to start spending at least 1-3 winter months living aboard in SE FL and cruising the Bahamas. In a year or two I would live aboard full time, again cruising Bahamas and the Caribbean.

I'm looking at the West Palm Beach / Lake Worth area, hoping to find a mooring with decent dinghy access and car parking. Until I'm full time on the boat, I'd haul it.

From WPB to West End seems like a popular way to cross the stream. Then south to the other destinations.

Please share your thoughts and advice!
SV Aquavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:20   #2

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.
Re: US base for cruising Bahamas / Caribbean?

Most important is your weather window.
You do not want to cross the GS with anything northerly. If you do you will remember it the rest of your life.
Wait for westerly winds ideally. Leave at night and cross the GS. You want to get to the Bahamas around noon so you can spot the reefs.

Jumping from Bahamas to the Caribbean depends on where you want to go. Do keep in mind that prevailing winds a North easterlies. So go east when you can then south. Always east.
Unless you like sailing on a beat.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 12:28   #3

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: US base for cruising Bahamas / Caribbean?

If you will be hauled out 9 months the next couple years then look further north than WPB. Storage charges will generally drop as you go north till maybe Melbourne, and be substantially cheaper than the Lauderdale / WPB neighborhood.

If you are 2 years away from full time live aboard it may be a bit premature to look for a mooring. Things change. There is a general tightness in marina space in FL right now that may ease as Covid restrictions in the Caribbean and elsewhere ease up.

My 2 cents
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, Caribbean, cruising, rib