Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2010, 08:45   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The Cape May entrance is quite wide between the jetties. You can get great big rollers running in when the weather's not cooperating. I had to go full ahead on the engine to maintain steerage on the way in once. In the same storm another sailor was not so lucky. he was an experienced skipper and broached going into Barnegat. Unfortunately he drowned and his ketch was wrecked.
Very sorry to hear of a sailor losing his life like that. I assume one should consider passing the entrance in such conditions and going in the back way (through Delaware Bay) in such situations?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 08:57   #17

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
Very sorry to hear of a sailor losing his life like that. I assume one should consider passing the entrance in such conditions and going in the back way (through Delaware Bay) in such situations?
I don't think that's such a good idea. Shoaling is even worse on that side of the fixed bridge. Cape Henlopen is easy to get in and out of and very well protected especially inside the inner breakwater.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 15:45   #18

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Barnegat is one ugly inlet. I've been in and out it dozens of times, as I grew up on Long Beach Island. One day, it was flat calm and you could see clear to the bottom in 20 feet of water. But, that's a rarity.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 13:48   #19

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
If it's blowing hard from northeast to southeast and it's ebbing, the waves will stack up in most East Coast inlets. Makes for a hobby horse ride going out and going in you need good power to prevent broaching.
Canaveral being the notable exception (no tidal action due to the lock).
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 06:16   #20
cruiser

A couple of other exceptional inlets easily passable - we draw 6' too: Savannah River (Tybee Roads) and Saint Simons Sound. Both are large ship channel inlets and safe in nearly all weather conditions.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 07:08   #21

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
Ponce Inlet was dredged last year. Last time I took it was in Jan, and there was at least 9 feet where there used to be 6. There is a sandbar directly inshore from the inlet, you have to split port for New Smyrna or starboard for Ponce Inlet. SeaLove marina has new floating docks just north of the inlet. I've also gone into St Augustine and Lake Worth with 6', no problems. Lake Worth, stay south of the turning basin using the East channel for plenty of water; the anchorage north of Peanut Island is mostly shoaled and filled with derelicts. The ICW through this area is dicey at 6', with some mud to push through in spots.

TowBoat or SeaTow are good resources to ask about local shoaling and good holding areas.
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft, east coast