Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2017, 04:17   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: USA Entry Hassles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
It could have been the stamps in their passports from countries considered either a terror risk or a narcotics heaven. That would explain the 12 hour boat search.
Possibly, but there were no specific immigration issues raised.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 04:19   #17

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

It also depends on the officer. I got tossed for a while coming back from mexico. I had a huge bit of chewing tobacco in my mouth and had to spit, so i answered questions yes or no. He asked me three times if i had anything in my backpack like tequila, i said "3rd time no" so I went to search. My partner who was with me said they made a comment that i wasnt happy enough? Apparently too happy or not happy enough is in indicator that you are up to something. Years later i saw the same thing applied in a traffic stop. I asked the officer, why in hell would i be happy to see you when i know i am getting a ticket?
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 04:21   #18

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I have no experience checking into the US after sailing from another country, but it's my opinion that US border agents have gone to a very special training session that makes them mean and paranoid. I base my opinion on the rude treatment I have received entering the US from my land travels. Even if you are a citizen, and carry a US passport, the agents seem to treat everyone as a criminal and threat. This treatment applies equally to everyone (including elderly in wheel chairs and small children).

We can all feel more comfortable knowing that our borders are protected from mean and paranoid people trying to get in.
Old 27-02-2017, 04:28   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
No obvious profile, but of course the officials involved didn't share what set off the event.

Accused them of having a "secret" compartment on the boat where a recent fiberglass repair had been done...mirandized them like they were going to arrest them, but didnt...quite a production.
Perhaps they were bored, envious of their colleagues in Key West of Miami getting all the busts and commendations and hoping to score one on a whim or a hunch. In my interactions with LEOs (mostly for professional reasons ) I noticed that most "situations" are created from a personal likes or dislikes. They will never admit as much of course but that is the truth. If something triggers them - be it your hair, your t-shirt or the smile which they may have interpreted as a smirk - off they go in their quest to bring "another one in". And with all kinds of BP and other LEO branches lately growing by leaps and bounds there are a lot of newbies trying to score another commendation or a lot of personalities which should not be in that line of work but are b/c "it pays well and is better than flipping burgers or guarding a mall".
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 04:31   #20

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
It also depends on the officer. I got tossed for a while coming back from mexico. I had a huge bit of chewing tobacco in my mouth and had to spit, so i answered questions yes or no. He asked me three times if i had anything in my backpack like tequila, i said "3rd time no" so I went to search. My partner who was with me said they made a comment that i wasnt happy enough? Apparently too happy or not happy enough is in indicator that you are up to something. Years later i saw the same thing applied in a traffic stop. I asked the officer, why in hell would i be happy to see you when i know i am getting a ticket?
See! We must know the same agents. I was reprimanded for taking a bite of sweet roll. I was in the back seat, we had just pulled up. The agent told me I was being "very direspectful" for eating when he was talking to me. He was not talking to me, he was chattering away with his buddy when we pulled up. We had to wait several minutes for him to even acknowledge us. And that is just one event, I won't bore you with more.

Edit: the use of the word "told" is grammatically correct. However this word implies a conversational tone of voice. He was not conversational, he was agitated and agressive and his vocal tone referred it.
Old 27-02-2017, 04:38   #21

Quote:
Possibly, but there were no specific immigration issues raised.
They wouldn't raise them of course until after they found something. It would be very un-PC to question them re: visiting suspect countries but once something is found everything is fair game. You have to put yourself in the agents' shoes to understand their thought process. First and foremost - all are guilty until proven otherwise. Kind of like a psychiatrist's joke - there are no mentally healthy people, just undiagnosed ones. Second - "we are in charge and all of you are little sh*ts trying to outsmart us". And third - they all have their bad days, sometimes stretching into weeks, months and years. Once you accept that this is what it is and act/think accordingly (not necessarily subserviently) all goes much smoother. That's just my personal IMO and experience.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 05:12   #22

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
See! We must know the same agents. I was reprimanded for taking a bite of sweet roll. I was in the back seat, we had just pulled up. The agent told me I was being "very direspectful" for eating when he was talking to me. He was not talking to me, he was chattering away with his buddy when we pulled up. We had to wait several minutes for him to even acknowledge us. And that is just one event, I won't bore you with more.

Edit: the use of the word "told" is grammatically correct. However this word implies a conversational tone of voice. He was not conversational, he was agitated and agressive and his vocal tone referred it.
It's funny talking to family and friends (who don't travel) and they think you can just walk into the US. The 2 years I lived in Mexico I dreaded crossing back to the US. All papers in order, had a full time job, traveled with little luggage, etc etc. The low level passive/aggressive harrassment for daring to go down south and want to return periodically was amazing.

Just read an article on Zero Hedge. They did retinal scans on the walk way to an Atlanta --> Mexico flight recently. Just to make sure you matched your passport.
Old 27-02-2017, 05:16   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
We can all feel more comfortable knowing that our borders are protected from mean and paranoid people trying to get in.
You can feel more comfortable knowing that all mean and paranoid people are busy at the borders and you have peace of them inlands
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 05:25   #24

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I have found the US border more problematic than any others I have crossed. It may have been that 20-30 years ago a beard and mustache were not to be although in Europe at the time just had me as another pea in the pod. It still hasn't changed much as pointed out already the BP agents have their own prejudices which they carry into their jobs. They have the gun, they have the authority and you are guilty until proven contrary.
Old 01-03-2017, 15:27   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Aparently they are not alone:

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-...ogation-at-lax
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 17:27   #26

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
'officer, armed and dressed in black,' hmmmm... sounds vaguely familiar.....

And no... they are not alone... we only hear of the high profile ones...

Like this..

New York gallery owner denied entry to US - CNN.com

They... the blackshirts.. are off the leash...
Old 01-03-2017, 17:44   #27

Boat: Rafiki 37

The Canadian media us ripe with stories of Canadians being delayed or denied entry to the USA these days. Most seem to involve people with darker skin and/or of the muslim religion.

… I’m sure it’s just an unfortunate coincidence .

Canada has also seen a huge increase in the number of people crossing our border from the US illegally seeking refugee status. Guess we better build that wall — and have the US pay for it .
Old 01-03-2017, 17:55   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Just read an article on Zero Hedge. They did retinal scans on the walk way to an Atlanta --> Mexico flight recently. Just to make sure you matched your passport.
I read something like that also. Using biometrics to confirm that the person they scanned and passed is the same one that ends up at the gate.

In a forum discussion regarding what airport security can/cannot do with your electronic devices, it was mentioned that not carrying a device (eg it's checked or you -gasp- aren't travelling with one...) is sometimes a red flag. It was also mentioned that if, when you let them into your device, you don't have Facebook or Twitter, that raises eyebrows.

I think that FedEx should operate an airline: you get anaesthetized, packed, shipped, and wake up in your hotel. Can't beat that for safety. No lineups to endure, either
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 19:08   #29

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The Canadian media us ripe with stories of Canadians being delayed or denied entry to the USA these days. Most seem to involve people with darker skin and/or of the muslim religion.

… I’m sure it’s just an unfortunate coincidence .

Canada has also seen a huge increase in the number of people crossing our border from the US illegally seeking refugee status. Guess we better build that wall — and have the US pay for it .
Feeling troll-ish tonight!...
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 19:32   #30

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I have entered the US by last, water, and air, from Canada and several other countries. My impression of the border agents is not a positive one. A fair number are just fine but some seem to be just so proud of the fact that they have a gun and a uniform. One time when we were going to Maine to look at a boat, we crossed at a quiet crossing from Quebec. The agent saw that I had an Egyptian visa in my passport. He got all excited about protecting the border but the best question he could come up with was 'Why did you you go to Egypt?' I suspect any potential terrorist could come up with my answer, 'To see the pyramids.' Another time I flew into LAX from Sydney just to get a connecting flight to Toronto. First dumb thing was that I had to enter the US and exit the secure area and then go back through security. Second dumb thing was a agent standing just before the door, after I had gone through customs and immigration, who stopped me to look at my passport. I was very dark after 18 months on the boat and had a fine beard. The passport photo - no beard. Then he wanted to see 'secondary ID'. Of course I had no beard there too. All to check out the terrorist possibilities of a white guy (great tan) in his 60s. Final one, I could go on, we arrived in Connecticut at one of the designated POEs. We called the 1 800 number and were told to stay on the boat until someone came to clear us in. This was about 1 pm. No one came and ended up going to bed. Next morning we called again and it turned out they had forgotten we were there.

In Contrast, the best treatment we have had with perhaps 40 entries and departures on our boat was on St Helena Island. The customs person asked my wife who did the checkout if she would like a piece of the cake she had made that morning. She also insisted that my wife bring a piece back to me on the boat. I hope the new airport does not destroy the island. It is a special place.