Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 22:09   #31

Re: USA Entry Hassles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Canada has also seen a huge increase in the number of people crossing our border from the US illegally seeking refugee status. Guess we better build that wall — and have the US pay for it .
If you are concerned, I suggest a cheaper first step is to not have your politicians announce that illegal aliens are welcome in Canada.

Then again, the real solution is to take away govt benefits and go after those doing business with illegal aliens. Take away the incentive and 99% of the problem goes away on it's own. The "wall" is mostly symbolic.

But back to the point, the folks who got held up had a few red flags. Also, we are not privy to how they presented themselves. We they difficult, did they try to obstruct the search, were they obnoixious....We'll never know as we are only hearing 3rd hand what their side of the story is.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 22:28   #32

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you are concerned, I suggest a cheaper first step is to not have your politicians announce that illegal aliens are welcome in Canada.
Please point to this announcement Val. I must have missed it .

Our government (which I am no particular fan) has never said illegal aliens are welcome in this country. All Canadian governments, no matter the political leanings, have always maintained that Canada is a welcome place for real refugees.

(Except if you ignore that unfortunate period around Japanese internment. And then there was the way we treated Jews and the Irish. And lets not get into the way we treat our Native Peoples … Canada is very far from perfect, but at this moment in history, perhaps better than some )

I’m sorry if you are disturbed by facts DotDun. I’m simply reporting reality regarding the USA border.
Old 01-03-2017, 23:44   #33

There's no doubt US customs treat people like sh*t. You have to be blind to not notice that.
There's only one way to deal with it. Take it as natural disaster. It's simply there, and you can not do anything with it. But that's not enough. You have to stay cool ALL the time they will be "serving" you. And that can be long time, as mentioned above. This is very tough, but it's the only way. It certainly seems that officers intentionally provocating people. Not everyone can stand their delays, stupid questions etc.etc. But if you will just try to show that you're not happy, you're even in bigger trouble...
So prepare your nerves in advance...or visit countries where you're more welcome
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 23:46   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

Our government (which I am no particular fan) has never said illegal aliens are welcome in this country. All Canadian governments, no matter the political leanings, have always maintained that Canada is a welcome place for real refugees.
This is the problem with the media and politicians playing word games with the subject.

You are "technically" correct if you want to play lawyers but the comments made were in direct response to illegal aliens entering the country, so why discuss being welcoming to refugees when discussing non-refugees unless the real intent was to welcome illegal aliens?...The politcos did a CYA but for anyone following the subject, it was very clear what they were saying unless you purposely want to play dumb.

I agree everyone supports (Canada is not alone) helping out legitimate refugees. The problem is 99% of the individuals involved aren't really refugees in the sense that most people consider it and that's unfortunate because legitimate refugees are often held up while trying to screen out those who are simply trying to game the system.

But again, back to the point of the thread, the boat had a number of red flags and we are only hearing one side of the story, so I have a tough time getting up in arms over a boat getting an additional search.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote