Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2015, 03:40   #16

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Verizon Phone Service in the Bahamas?

I suggest getting a Batelco phone or SIM. The wifi sucks at most places and you will appreciate having data plan. Also many marinas don't always answer the radio and you will need to call them. That will add up if you use Verizon.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:37   #17

Boat: Beneteau OC 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
The major U.S. cell phone providers are VERY expensive to use in the Bahamas, no matter what the customer rep tells you. BTC controls the phone system in the Bahamas. Providers like Verizon, AT&T, etc. will usually only work in the larger cities like Nassau, Freeport and maybe Marsh Harbor. Between those points, you will not have service. For the best option and coverage, as others have said, get an unlocked GSM phone and a BTC sim card. You did not mention data and that is another subject. Chuck
Chuck, Do you know how Verizon's data coverage is in the Bahamas? I'm already a Verizon customer and the data-only rates appear to compare favorably with BTC. Is Verizon data, like its voice, primarily available only in the larger cities?
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:44   #18

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

robgrant1, Things are constantly changing in the Bahamas but on our last trip, we found Verizon customers could only use their cell phones in major towns like Nassau or Freeport and some outlying areas that those towers covered. Be careful what the Verizon reps tell you. You might get a big surprise once your bill arrives. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 13:12   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
robgrant1, Things are constantly changing in the Bahamas but on our last trip, we found Verizon customers could only use their cell phones in major towns like Nassau or Freeport and some outlying areas that those towers covered. Be careful what the Verizon reps tell you. You might get a big surprise once your bill arrives. Chuck
Having just bought a Wirie Pro, with the intention of using a BTC sim card in it, I feel better!
Old 06-04-2016, 12:07   #20
Marine Service Provider

The best way is local cell. It you have an iphone Verizon will w lock it for you and you can get someone to trim a Bahamas SIM card to fit. It will then work with a local number and act as a hotspot in Bahamas near towers.

Using your Verizon number
Will not be as good an option.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:57   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by svJasmine View Post
The best way is local cell. It you have an iphone Verizon will w lock it for you and you can get someone to trim a Bahamas SIM card to fit. It will then work with a local number and act as a hotspot in Bahamas near towers.

Using your Verizon number
Will not be as good an option.
So the BTC sim isn't a standard size sim that can be plugged into an iPhone?
Old 06-04-2016, 14:02   #22

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgrant1 View Post
So the BTC sim isn't a standard size sim that can be plugged into an iPhone?
It'll fit an iPhone. Some time ago they used to cut them down but now they come in the large size and can be punched out to the smaller size.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-04-2016, 14:09   #23
Marine Service Provider

Vasco is correct. I still have an iPhone 4S. It takes the smaller sim. The large one works fine cut down in it.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 14:24   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by svJasmine View Post
Vasco is correct. I still have an iPhone 4S. It takes the smaller sim. The large one works fine cut down in it.
Thanks Vasco and Jasmine! I was considering buying a card from mrsimcard, but looks as though it would be less expensive to buy a card in the Bahamas. Your thoughts?
Old 09-04-2016, 04:56   #25

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Best bet is get a sim in the Bahamas $16. Data 5 gig for 30 days $50 + vat. The service has really improved. If you use voice get the other party to call you. No cost or loss of minutes on incoming calls.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-04-2016, 05:55   #26

Boat: Maxim, Voyage 380

Question. My last trip down the east coast I found having a phone that has "hot spot" capability to the way to go giving me great wifi anytime and anywhere I needed it.

So in the Bahama's, What would be the cheapest phone or way to go to get a phone with hot spot capabilty or would it be best to find a cheap iPhone here and take it there?
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:07   #27

Boat: O'Day 302

Take your smart phone. Buy a BTC SIM card and a 30-50 per month voice/data plan. Insert sim into phone(trim if it doesn't fit). Follow prompts to activate.

It really is that simple.
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:29   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_alpine View Post
Take your smart phone. Buy a BTC SIM card and a 30-50 per month voice/data plan. Insert sim into phone(trim if it doesn't fit). Follow prompts to activate.

It really is that simple.

Just make sure your phone isn't locked to one carrier.

There's a good selection of cheap phones around that are unlocked. I picked up a new LG Leon (not called that in America I don't think) with Android 5.1, for under $60 equivalent, to be able to use PAYG SIM cards wherever I go (my Blackberry is locked to Vodafone, and I am keeping that for anything that needs to be secure - such as phoning my Bank).

Surprisingly good performance from the quad core chipset, plus as I am pretty much stone deaf, the audio quality is superb, and the alarm even manages to wake me up.

eta: Power management is excellent with that LG too. With wifi turned off, and in Flight mode, power use is barely measurable - I charged it up 3 days ago, and the battery is still on 100%.

Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:59   #29

Ditto Capt.BW, but I would check with Verizon. They say they have coverage, but for a specific island, I would try to get it in writing.
Old 12-04-2016, 13:54   #30

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Putting in new SIMS is super easy. If you want reliable, plan on using the BTC network, I don't think Verizon covers much of Abaco. It's kind of like a tiny memory card for those that have never seen one. It's always best to get it configured at the store. I could never do it in Vietnam, even with some language facility and decent tech skills, I could not get internet going. Charge your phone and make sure it's online and calling before you leave the store.

When I was in SE Asia last winter with my iPhone 6, it was the first thing you did when arriving in a new country. Stop in and get a SIM and some data. Makes getting around new places very easy. I was all over Saigon on my motorbike and google maps was a lifesaver. Plus having a phone, hotspot, and email/ internet for getting your next place lined up, Skype, etc.

Sure makes it easy traveling these days. Sure makes your phone a target for thieves too. All they need is a cheap sim and they're good to go, or sell iPhone 6 for $600+ on the street in Saigon. I had one snatched out of my hand by a guy on back of motorbike. And I was even expecting it. That was hard.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, phone, service