Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2021, 13:10   #1

Boat: Mariner 36
Virgin Garda Yacht Harbor / Spanish Towm

Hi,

Thinking of stay the night( Dec 3rd) here so we can visit the Baths by taxi. Tried to call them by their phone listed on their web site but it’s disconnected for lack of payment. Does anyone know if they are still I’m business. Also, how difficult is it to swim into the beach from where the dinghies are tied up. I would prefer to get a slip since we have a few senior citizens on board. Thanks.
Sailor George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 18:47   #2

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Virgin Garda Yacht Harbor / Spanish Towm

Can't help you with any of that, and know the Baths are unique and not to be missed, but Fallen Jerusalem is also nice if the Baths are crowded.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 18:58   #3

If your talking about the marina, I've never had success hailing them when coming in. I've stayed overnight 5 or 6 times and every time I've ended up just coming in and taking a slip, then heading over to the office. The first time I did circles in the closest fairway to the office trying to hail them with no luck and since it was almost dark I just took a slip. I learned they never answer me and to just take a slip. Once was on a cat and I just tied up to the side of the first dock. Once they asked me to move to a different slip.

I haven't been there since 2019, but I find it hard to believe they are closed, closed. I would just pull into the marina, trying to hail them and if I didn't get them I'd take a slip I'd want and then head to the office.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:37   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I didn't go there this year, but last year they were not yet really functional and no cruisers were staying there. The boatyard is open and very busy, but all I saw at the docks were the dive school boat.
You can anchor or take a mooring ball outside the marina entrance and then dinghy in there in the morning and take a cab to the Baths. Swimming the baths from the dinghy mooring balls to shore depends on the conditions, it is not far and there is no current - but if the surf is up then it can be no fun at all. And if the red flags are up then you shouldn't approach the Baths from the water side.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:40   #5

I’ve always seem to see more charters than cruisers. I see more cruisers at Leverick, but that’s just the experience of one. It may be because I’m a charter-er and not a cruiser. ��
Old 06-11-2021, 10:54   #6

Boat: Leopard 45

The Baths are a must see experience in the BVI. It can be a bit of an exercise getting to shore from the dingy tie up area. I remember there being a hand line floating in the water to make it easier but it will still be about 200' of pulling in to the shore against the surf. It would be much easier for the frail or elderly to take a taxi from Spanish town. The marina there usually has many empty slips and like others have said it is best to tie up in the best slip available and check in with the harbor master.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:05   #7

Boat: Leopard 45

The marina at Spanish town BVI has about 70 slips. The first 30 minutes are free and then it runs $10 an hour for mono hulls and $15 for cats. It will probably take two hours to enjoy the baths.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim King View Post
The Baths are a must see experience in the BVI. ................ It would be much easier for the frail or elderly to take a taxi from Spanish town. ........................

I've always thought The Baths were over rated - just me personally. I've been there three times. Once we sailed by, once we taxied there and ate at the restaurant up top and walked down and swam, third time we didn't bother, spent the time at Leverick Bay.

Yes, it's easier to take a taxi, but once you're there by taxi you are on the TOP and IIRC it's a pretty steep walk down to the beach, and then, of course, back up.

Really depends on what you want your guests to see. The rock formations seem to me to be prettier from the water, so give them a water-side tour and let them look at the rocks with binoculars. It was cool to walk among the rocks on the beach and swim, but was pretty crowded and not much in the water to see snorkeling either.

Really not trying to be a downer, just my impressions.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 16:28   #9

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Have seen several people just tie the dinghy on the line and pull themselves in using the swim area line that goes to the shore. Don't know if that line is still rigged but is one option if it is.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 16:34   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Spend the night at marina in Spanish Town. Take taxi to restaurant above The Baths. Walk down easy.
Can be a bit rough swimming in for older people.
Don't know if Rock Cafe is still open but used to be a fun place to go.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 17:08   #11

Boat: 1976 AMF Paceship 23

It's been a good while but once when we visited the baths (and it's not to be missed in my opinion) our dinghy dropped people near the beach and one person took it back out and tied up and swam in. There is also a small bay at the southern end of the Baths were you might be able to drop people closer to the beach--I'm not sure but perhaps someone on here knows. One person can stay with the boat and pick the group up after they explore.
As I say, it's been some time so I'd try to confirm.
KenKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 18:32   #12

Boat: Taswell 43

We've been to both the marina in Spanish Town, and the one in Leverick. We always go to Leverick, and I'd strongly recommend it to you, too. Either take a slip, or a mooring ball, and dinghy in. The resort is very pleasant, you can easily get a rental car from there (they deliver it to you at the Resort), drive to the Baths, to the Ruins, visit the marina if you chose, and make a stop at the hilltop BBQ eating place "Hog Heaven"...a MUST STOP! The view is incredible, the BBQ the best you'll find, and it's a fun drive to get there. We've been there several times, and will go back if we can get into the BVI. And you just drop the rental car off there at the Resort! Also, Leverick has a great BBQ feed on Fridays(...almost as good as Foxy's), complete with the folks who dance on stilts in costume (The Jumbies), and during the week the 1-man band/pirate show at the bar (about 1.5 -2 hr show) is a real hoot! Go to Leverick! And, while you're there in the Bay, you can also make a trek to Saba Rock (now reopened?), and Bitter End Resort, also now open, as well.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKo View Post
It's been a good while but once when we visited the baths (and it's not to be missed in my opinion) our dinghy dropped people near the beach and one person took it back out and tied up and swam in. There is also a small bay at the southern end of the Baths were you might be able to drop people closer to the beach--I'm not sure but perhaps someone on here knows. One person can stay with the boat and pick the group up after they explore.
As I say, it's been some time so I'd try to confirm.
They roped off the beach so you can’t ride up and drop people off any longer. I can’t remember the name of the south beach but yes you can get closer, but still cannot go to the beach.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:05   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I found the Baths underwhelming quite frankly.
Old 07-11-2021, 13:42   #15

Boat: Mariner 36

Thank you for your response. Probably go to Spanish Town since we want to spend some time at The Indians and the wreck of the Rhorne from our first night at Norman’s Island. Don’t think my crew will be getting up early after a night a Willies T! The plan for now is

Norman Island Dec2nd
Spanish Harbor
Sabba Rock
Oil Nut Inn
Anegada
Scrubb Island
Jost Van Dyke - hopefully we can get our Covid test done here
Copper’s Island
Tortola - return boat and get the 2:30 ferry to USVI

If anyone is around give me a call and we can have a wave by. Thanks again.
Sailor George is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht