Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2017, 01:50   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Vlogging, Atlantic Crossing 2016 and upcoming 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Sorry can't do that ( !!?? ) but can be found at " sailing kittywake "
easy once you done it a few times
just watching the intro,so no comment ATM

https://www.facebook.com/sailingkittiwake

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9...j0mJjC4LWGH26g

atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 02:14   #47

It maybe a little " basic " to the likes of yourself who have no doubt done that trip many many times , but for those less experienced , like myself , I find it quite interesting , as they say " every day is a school day " .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 02:41   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It maybe a little " basic " to the likes of yourself who have no doubt done that trip many many times , but for those less experienced , like myself , I find it quite interesting , as they say " every day is a school day " .
on the contrary,i noticed that they did their refit about a mile away from where i am currently fitting out my catamaran,it would have been interesting to meet them

plus,they go into quite a bit of detail in the video about anchorages along the route,which is always good to have recent info that you may not find in the pilot books,even if you have been there before
Old 17-09-2017, 02:53   #49

Glad you enjoyed , I am particularly interested in the anchorages en route as hope to be doing this myself in few years , ( after Scottish west coast nxt year and then Baltic year after,, and then further afield .. )
Old 17-09-2017, 03:04   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed , I am particularly interested in the anchorages en route as hope to be doing this myself in few years , ( after Scottish west coast nxt year and then Baltic year after,, and then further afield .. )
having good current information about stops along your route is the key to safe cruising,and can save you a lot financially if you know what and where the safe anchorage alternatives are,instead of an expensive marina
Old 17-09-2017, 04:30   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
having good current information about stops along your route is the key to safe cruising,and can save you a lot financially if you know what and where the safe anchorage alternatives are,instead of an expensive marina
my thots exactly
Old 17-09-2017, 04:38   #52

OK,, so i just watched the Lone Star girl video on how to make some money along the way,, now i am confused,, she ( they ) suggest many ways ( you tube / patron apart ) like cleaning bottoms , re provisioning charter boats, the big one refrigeration ( can understand that ) etc etc ,tho no mention of my own particular skill of welding / fabrication ( stainless included ) or the other recently mooted one hairdressing,, so , every time that question is asked ( how can i make a living ? ) there is a constant stream of nae sayers explaining the local employment laws and taboos , so what is it, are cruisers able to pick up work along the way or not ????
Old 17-09-2017, 05:32   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
on the contrary,i noticed that they did their refit about a mile away from where i am currently fitting out my catamaran,it would have been interesting to meet them
Compared to many Heavenly Twins I see advertised, that one is immaculate. So they either bought a bargain or have done an awful lot of work. Elona says they spent £10k on her early on in episode 1. The sails look newish, 540w of solar wasn't cheap, plus the dinghy and new outboard. So the refit wasn't cheap either.

Hopefully then their budget of £500 will work for them, but its very tight.

I wish them well.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 05:44   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

another young swedish couple from last year,crossing to brazil in a 9 meter yacht,looks like they saved some weight by not taking any clothes!

i see they are currently in the S-pac,having gone via cape horn!,Bravo
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...0439078713&z=2

Old 17-09-2017, 06:04   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
OK,, so i just watched the Lone Star girl video on how to make some money along the way,, now i am confused,, she ( they ) suggest many ways ( you tube / patron apart ) like cleaning bottoms , re provisioning charter boats, the big one refrigeration ( can understand that ) etc etc ,tho no mention of my own particular skill of welding / fabrication ( stainless included ) or the other recently mooted one hairdressing,, so , every time that question is asked ( how can i make a living ? ) there is a constant stream of nae sayers explaining the local employment laws and taboos , so what is it, are cruisers able to pick up work along the way or not ????
i have never had any problem in the islands working as a fitter,welder,marine tech,construction etc

in the more developed countries like australia,nz you need to be a bit more careful for migration,eu countries,no problem at all for member state nationals.

in the lone star video st martin/sxm has long been the 1st stop for many south african families,with its dutch connection,who have lived and worked there,tolerated by the government working illegally,for the massive contribution they have made to the island economy,running engineering,marine services,charter fleets,dive operations etc there
and no doubt many of them will be heavily involved with the rebuild on sxm post irma
Old 17-09-2017, 06:11   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Compared to many Heavenly Twins I see advertised, that one is immaculate. So they either bought a bargain or have done an awful lot of work. Elona says they spent £10k on her early on in episode 1. The sails look newish, 540w of solar wasn't cheap, plus the dinghy and new outboard. So the refit wasn't cheap either.

I wish them well.

Pete
without cigarettes , booze, eating out,avoiding marinas and staying on anchor it is probably not as tight as it might seem in places like the Guardiana,Cadiz,Mar Menor free anchorage or,in less populated marinas on the spanish coast 200 euro/month will get a berth for a 40 ft boat etc
Old 17-09-2017, 08:44   #57

Boat: Heavenly Twins 26

Quote:
without cigarettes , booze, eating out,avoiding marinas and staying on anchor it is probably not as tight as it might seem in places like the Guardiana,Cadiz,Mar Menor free anchorage or,in less populated marinas on the spanish coast 200 euro/month will get a berth for a 40 ft boat etc
Thanks for mentioning our YouTube vlogs! We hope you guys enjoy them.

You got it right - we have no vices, don't eat out, mainly drink canned beer, etc. We've never stayed in a marina and don't spend money on tourist attractions either, so life's pretty cheap. We wrote a long blog post on budgeting on our site (sailingkittiwake.com in the tips section) if you want to find out more.

Life out here can be as cheap as you make it

It also helps that Elena freelances and is really successful with it, so if we need to buy unexpected boat bits or upgrades then we can, as long as we've made a bit of extra cash.

North Spain and Portugal have been really cheap (we're currently in Aveiro). We haven't paid to keep the boat anywhere since a cheap mooring ball in Hoedic, France.
SV Kittiwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 10:02   #58

Boat: Heavenly Twins 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

I wish them well.

Pete
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the good wishes! Yep, we bought the boat for £9.5k - the previous owner had repainted her so she's pretty good looking

We also did quite a lot of work ourselves, replacing the standing rigging, new loo, solar installation, manual water pumps, new batteries etc. Episode 2 of our videos has more detail.

We sold the previous dinghy but kept the engine and put it on our (second hand) walker bay. All in all the refit cost about £4-5k but everything we did was worth it and we've come out with a great little liveaboard boat
SV Kittiwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 10:55   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Kittiwake View Post

You got it right - we have no vices, don't eat out, mainly drink canned beer, etc. We've never stayed in a marina and don't spend money on tourist attractions either, so life's pretty cheap. We wrote a long blog post on budgeting on our site (sailingkittiwake.com in the tips section) if you want to find out more.

It also helps that Elena freelances and is really successful with it, so if we need to buy unexpected boat bits or upgrades then we can, as long as we've made a bit of extra cash.

North Spain and Portugal have been really cheap (we're currently in Aveiro). We haven't paid to keep the boat anywhere since a cheap mooring ball in Hoedic, France.
i'm just behind macsalvors,and the cat is on muddy beach ,aveiro looks nice,ideal catamaran country. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...5!4d-8.6537539

be good to hear more about the place if you can reccomend any more episodes.
cheers alex
Old 17-09-2017, 11:35   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Kittiwake View Post

i forgot to mention,FYI i have a thread about my cat,been a bit slack posting updates as i was very busy putting in new engine bearers,flex mounts and sillette catamaran drive,and tore some ligaments in my arm so work ground to a halt a few weeks back ,follow the link

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...103739-61.html

cheers alex

Tags
atlantic crossing, sailing, travel, videos, vlogs