Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2018, 12:30   #1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
wave heights at Dry Tortugus anchorage

We've been to Dry Tortugas 3 times and only in the summer. We're thinking of going over the Christmas holidays, but have never had to deal with the cold fronts. We prefer to anchor in the commercial anchorage for more solitude and less chance of another boat pulling anchor and giving us a kiss (although it almost did happen ).

The weather forecasts give the wave heights for a point 4nm ENE of Dry Tortugas light for tomorrow (Wed) the forecast is for winds at N 20 kts. seas 7 ft. Does anyone know what that would create in terms of wave height in front of the fort, or better yet at the commercial anchorage ?
tomlisasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 13:05   #2

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: wave heights at Dry Tortugus anchorage

We were holed up there for 3 weeks waiting for a window last Dec/Jan. Saw many a cold front come thru. The anchorage near the fort (not the commercial anchorage) was never uncomfortable or terribly rolly. And there were never more than a handful of boats in the time we were there.

In short, it is a safe comfortable anchorage to wait out cold fronts.

EDIT: It should be noted that the sandbar which protects the anchorage from the north has been built up substantially by recent past wx events. There are pictures of 10-15 years ago where this north protection was not there. I doubt it is changed since last year however.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 16:15   #3

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlisasail View Post

The weather forecasts give the wave heights for a point 4nm ENE of Dry Tortugas light for tomorrow (Wed) the forecast is for winds at N 20 kts. seas 7 ft. Does anyone know what that would create in terms of wave height in front of the fort, or better yet at the commercial anchorage ?

It will create ripples in front of the docks.
I never anchored on a SW side of Garden Key. Maybe some swell will get there.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 16:52   #4

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I have been there twice in my 15' home made catboat. Once in December and once in February. It was windy one of the times but was calm in the anchorage next to the fort. It is very well protected. There were only a few other boats there both times.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 04:51   #5

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Thanks everyone, great info.
tomlisasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 05:41   #6

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
We were holed up there for 3 weeks waiting for a window last Dec/Jan. Saw many a cold front come thru. The anchorage near the fort (not the commercial anchorage) was never uncomfortable or terribly rolly. And there were never more than a handful of boats in the time we were there.

In short, it is a safe comfortable anchorage to wait out cold fronts.

EDIT: It should be noted that the sandbar which protects the anchorage from the north has been built up substantially by recent past wx events. There are pictures of 10-15 years ago where this north protection was not there. I doubt it is changed since last year however.
Three Weeks! You must have been well provisioned? Was it possible to head east to the Keys or NE back to the west coast, or was it more of a choice to stay? We are planning on taking our boat there and to the Keys in early 2020. Any additional information you could share would be much appreciated. Being holed up for three weeks would not work well for us.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 07:01   #7

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
Three Weeks! You must have been well provisioned? Was it possible to head east to the Keys or NE back to the west coast, or was it more of a choice to stay? We are planning on taking our boat there and to the Keys in early 2020. Any additional information you could share would be much appreciated. Being holed up for three weeks would not work well for us.
I wouldn't worry about having the same problem. We were crossing to Cuba and our timing even for that time of year was very unlucky. We still could have made it back east to KW any number of days within those 3 weeks. You are within range of VHF wx out of KW, and the rangers/ferry staff are awesome. The ferry staff actually made a run to the market for us to reprovision our fresh stores.

The Dry Tortugas are well worth the visit.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 10:29   #8

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Being holed up for three weeks would not work well for us.
I'll just make this point about the Keys and the west coast of Florida. First, this mostly applies if you are going to make this trip anytime from December to March.

We get cold fronts with north winds during those times almost weekly. Some fronts are slow moving and last several days. Trying to make it northward during a front will be cold and gusty......

Next, the prevailing winds in the Keys are East to South East. This makes it, sometimes, uncomfortable to head that way as well. I'm sure that is why laika was stuck there three weeks.......

If you go during that time of year be prepared.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 10:31   #9

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
I wouldn't worry about having the same problem. We were crossing to Cuba and our timing even for that time of year was very unlucky. We still could have made it back east to KW any number of days within those 3 weeks. You are within range of VHF wx out of KW, and the rangers/ferry staff are awesome. The ferry staff actually made a run to the market for us to reprovision our fresh stores.

The Dry Tortugas are well worth the visit.
That's Awesome. The wife really is looking forward to going and will only have three weeks to cruise the Keys and Tortugas. You had me worried for a minute.
Probably a topic for another thread, but do you recommend any guides? I hear Active captain and Navionics are good but a physical guide to the area would be nice to have.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 11:15   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
That's Awesome. The wife really is looking forward to going and will only have three weeks to cruise the Keys and Tortugas. You had me worried for a minute.
Probably a topic for another thread, but do you recommend any guides? I hear Active captain and Navionics are good but a physical guide to the area would be nice to have.
Worst case you can hop a ride to KW on one of the tourist ferries. Years ago, we needed to pop into KW. I chatted with the captain of one of the big cats. He gave us a ride at no charge...professional courtesy. [emoji41]

We only had to pay in KW for the return trip.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 11:38   #11

Boat: Seafarer36c

That time of year, taking the tour boat out for the day is a lot easier. Or the plane, float planes are fun. You will probably have to motor back in your boat anyway.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 04:59   #12

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5

We are headed there tomorrow from Clearwater. I see on the chart that Ft Jeff channel is closed due to shoaling. We were there last year and I dont recall seeing that note on the chart. Is the anchorage accessible behind the ferry dock?

We draw 5ft.
Exit Strategy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 05:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I have been there twice in my 15' home made catboat. Once in December and once in February.
Very cool. Did you happen to blog about it? Sounds like an adventure.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 07:06   #14

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Strategy View Post
We are headed there tomorrow from Clearwater. I see on the chart that Ft Jeff channel is closed due to shoaling. We were there last year and I dont recall seeing that note on the chart. Is the anchorage accessible behind the ferry dock?

We draw 5ft.
If you are referring to the supposed channel between Garden Key/Ft. Jeff and Bush Key, that "channel" has been closed since 2012. The "shoal" has since risen above the water line and is now dry land with vegetation. The anchorage on the southwest side of the Ft., south southeast of the Fort remains tenable, just keep an eye on your fathometer as you around the southern side of the Key. Note that one can now only land a dinghy on the beach to the west of the ferry dock.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 22:45   #15

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5

Thx for the fwiw! Info has value.

Idk for sure what that note is referencing. I assume the same things but I just wanted confirmation that access to the anchorage is open. I have a window to make it in the daylight but you never can tell. I don't want to come in there in the dark not knowing if the channel is shoaled in.
Exit Strategy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor