Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 08:54   #1

Weather and Wind in BVI Mid March

We will be chartering out of Tortola -- third trip but first time in the spring. What can we expect of weather and wind and current -- or maybe its not predictable?

Itinerary by day:

Cooper after snorkeling at Ginger (which side is best?)
Baths then up to Bitter End/Saba Rock
Sail to Anegada, dinner at Neptunes
Jeep around Anegada -- any favorite spots?
Sail to Little Jost, bubbly pool and Foxys Taboo
Spend most of day at Soggy Dollar then over to Peter for last night

We have never anchored in Cane Garden Bay -- could substitute for Little Jost. All comments appreciated!
KW60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:45   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Weather and Wind in BVI Mid March

The winds will have settled down quite a bit in March, so the waves will also be lower than in December/January and you can expect 6 feet or less. Cane Garden Bay is a nice anchorage (I anchor between the mooring field and reef) unless there's a north swell.
The itinerary is busy with a lot of sailing/motoring and the stretch from Anegada to Jost van Dyke might be dead downwind and uncomfortable, perhaps sailing past Scrub and taking a snorkeling break at Monkey Point might be an option if the wind is from the ENE.
Old 09-02-2014, 13:19   #3

Weather and Wind in BVI Mid March

"Cooper after snorkeling at Ginger (which side is best?)"

Monchioneel bay was packed so we went to Deadmans bay on Peter which was good

"Baths then up to Bitter End/Saba Rock"

Anchor under Prickly pear .... Really peaceful but still dinghy able to the bars etc no fees !

"Sail to Anegada, dinner at Neptunes"

Just order a half because they are big lobsters

"Jeep around Anegada -- any favorite spots?"

We had a good laugh on mopeds! ... Sea cow was a nice stop ... Very friendly... Lob lolly for the best snorkelling

"Sail to Little Jost, bubbly pool and Foxys Taboo"
As previous post ... Monkey point was rough when we past by

Spend most of day at Soggy Dollar then over to Peter for last night

"We have never anchored in Cane Garden Bay -- could substitute for Little Jost. All comments appreciated!"

Although Brewers is stated as not anchoring in the cruisers guide there are no restrictions on the charts , we had a really pleasant night at anchor , nice after the effects of the Soggy dollar excesses !!

Have a great trip
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 16:02   #4

Thanks for input!

Esp about sailing dead down wind and if the wind is low this time of year. We like the time on the water if we can cover distance but not if slow and worrying about a jibe. We are intermediate sailors and this is not a party group but still. Would want to get to Little Jost in time to play some and relax.

We have been to Anagada once before but I was not paying attention . We spent much of the afternoon at Cow Wreck -- am thinking not Loblally Bay? And how do you arrange the mopeds and should it be in advance or can you just show up? Is the lobster better at Neptunes than other options? It was good last time but that was November. Where is there good fishing -- like fish fish not shellfish?
KW60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:03   #5

We hired the mopeds on the street from the dock, there seemed to be several vendors with them within a few hundred yards of each other, we didn't reserve any, seemed very easy going
The restaurants along the beach all did lobster, but we booked a table in the morning for 7pm that day. They have holding pens on the dock if you want a pre look at dinner!
Old 10-02-2014, 11:41   #6

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post

"We have never anchored in Cane Garden Bay -- could substitute for Little Jost. All comments appreciated!"

Although Brewers is stated as not anchoring in the cruisers guide there are no restrictions on the charts , we had a really pleasant night at anchor , nice after the effects of the Soggy dollar excesses !!

Have a great trip

Huh? The charts I use all show numerous submarine cables in Brewers and in fact those same charts state--- Vessels are warned not to anchor in the vicinity of Brewers Bay owing to the existence of submarine cables---- I hope others do not heed your suggestion to anchor there, possibly damaging the cables. Why do you think the cruisers guide suggested NOT anchoring there?
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:30   #7

Fine by me ..... Keeps it quiet ... Imrays A231 does, admiralty 5640.6 shows the cables on a larger scale with no such warning, Navionics shows a warning , but I went by Nancy & Simon Scott's 2012 guide to the Virgin Islands

See attached...... But you are probably correct
Old 10-02-2014, 12:40   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1392064810.247712.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	75718
Old 10-02-2014, 12:40   #9

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

I don't see anything attached to your reply but I am on my phone. Don't have access to any cruising guide as I type this. I did go by your own interpretation where you said a "cruiser guide" said it was not a good anchorage. I sure have no interest in keeping the location quiet. Quite the contrary. It would seem beneficial to all boaters and the residents that rely on those communications cables not to have an anchor possibly cause damage.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:42   #10

Sorry now up loaded
Old 10-02-2014, 14:55   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW60 View Post
Thanks for input!

Esp about sailing dead down wind and if the wind is low this time of year. We like the time on the water if we can cover distance but not if slow and worrying about a jibe. We are intermediate sailors and this is not a party group but still. Would want to get to Little Jost in time to play some and relax.

We have been to Anagada once before but I was not paying attention . We spent much of the afternoon at Cow Wreck -- am thinking not Loblally Bay? And how do you arrange the mopeds and should it be in advance or can you just show up? Is the lobster better at Neptunes than other options? It was good last time but that was November. Where is there good fishing -- like fish fish not shellfish?
I like "Potters by the Sea" and the "Anegada Reef Hotel" for dinner (remember to drop by or VHF in by early afternoon with dinner reservations) and they will also arrange for a cab to Cow Wreck or Loblolly and include it in your bill, if you so wish. I like Loblolly, both for lounging and snorkeling. Anegada is a wonderful place and one that requires sailors to really 'chill' as the pace of life there is different from the other islands. I was there a couple of weeks ago for a record short stay, my new boat draw over 8 feet and I tried anchoring at Pomato point but only had 1-2 feet underneath my keel and it was a full moon, so I had a coffee and then weighed anchor and sailed back to the North Sound instead of staying; this is one of the drawback of a deep keel as I can't enter the channel anymore.
I enjoy the quieter anchorages in the BVI these days, so anchoring off little Jost has become another favorite of mine. It is wise to check with Foxy's Taboo for dinner, as their opening days can be ... indeterminate, particularly in off season. I recall having to make some instant Ramen one night when I saw them open during the day but when I dinghied there for dinner they were closed.
Old 10-02-2014, 18:03   #12

Boat: Mariner 36' sloop

I would skip bubbly pool and add another day in north sound
Backloop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, weather, wind