Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2007, 08:46   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 40- First Forty
Weather Reports and Communications in the Bahamas

Im planning my first Bahamas cruise and am reading the crusing guides. Still I would like to get insite from many of you who are Bahama veterans.

My boat does not carry SSB or Sat Phone. Will I be able to get reliable weather forecasts via VHF? If this is not reliable what might make the most cost effective sense: Sirius weather? Sat phone with Ocens?

I am considering putting up a WIFI antenna such that I will improve my odds of getting a internet connection when in port. Is this a wise investment? I normally use a wifi card in the states, but I realize this will not work in the Bahamas.

Thanks to all!

gary
FirstForty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 10:13   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
VHF weather is available on cruiser nets in Abacos, Nassau, and George Town. High Bourne Cay does a rebroadcast from their high antenna that can be heard through most of the Exumas.

These are one time a day broadcasts, so a little planning is needed to get them.

A single sideband receiver doesn't cost as much as a transceiver and can be used to listen to Herb, Chris Parker, and USCG (NOAA) broadcasts.

A Wi-Fi booster of some type is useful. Look at making your own or buy commercial. Much info available on the net. Start at http://www.cantenna.com/

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 11:12   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Gary,

Your best (and most economical) bet for weather is a Sony short wave receiver with SSB. VHF weather is unreliable although possible. In the Exumas chain vhf weather is available from Highborne, Staniel and Georgetown. In Abaco you can get it in Marsh Harbour. Occasionally, in exceptional conditions, you can pick up NOAA but this is a freak thing. Cruisers are very friendly and helpful and many will give you a synopsis over the vhf but if you're like the rest of us you'd probably like your own interpretation.

A wifi antenna will facilitate internet connections in Sampson, Staniel and Georgetown as far as the Exumas goes. If you're going to the Abacos it'll help there too. I just got one as I saw how well it worked in GT last season. The main advantage will be not having to lug the laptop ashore. I got it here, an omni directional one as a directional antenna is useless on a boat at anchor. Netgate
Old 23-10-2007, 12:50   #4

Both abacos and exumas have cruisers nets with good weather forecasts on VHF.
Abacos is 8:15 on 68.
In the Exumas I think it is 8:10 on 16 then switching to 68

A small SSB receiver will also let you listen in on other forecasts.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 13:08   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Depending on where you are located, your VHF will pick up rebroadcasts via nets.
Old 23-10-2007, 14:02   #6

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Both abacos and exumas have cruisers nets with good weather forecasts on VHF.
Abacos is 8:15 on 68.
In the Exumas I think it is 8:10 on 16 then switching to 68

A small SSB receiver will also let you listen in on other forecasts.

The problem is that vhf doesn't have much of a range. In the Abacos the net at Marsh Harbour can't be heard except in the hub area. Also Patti might not be there now that Barometer Bob is gone but maybe someone else will do it. In the Exumas, Highborne Cay Marina can't be heard much past Normans and in the Staniel area June (Blue Yonder) on Over Yonder Cay reaches Staniel and that's about it. In Georgetown sometimes it's hard to hear at the southern end of Elizabeth Harbour. To put this in perspective the Exumas chain stretches a bit under 180 miles. In this stretch there are two stations that regularly broadcast weather on vhf, Highborne and the cruiser's net in GT. There is no weather from Blue Yonder when June is off the island. By the way, June's weather is the most comprehensive of all. There are some quite high hills in the area and many like to anchor close in so the signals are blocked. For those of us without sat phones and internet connections in the middle of nowhere, the only dependable way to get weather is ssb. If you intend to cruise elsewhere in the Bahamas such as Conception or Rum or the Jumentos where weather is very important you will definitely need a ssb receiver.
Old 23-10-2007, 14:47   #7
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Have had good luck with a Navtex receiver.

Range is about 400 NM so ya get all the important forecast's.

They cost around $400.00 and if ya hook it up to yer GSP, it will automatically pick the neareast transmitter.

Old 30-10-2007, 07:00   #8

Boat: S2 11.0A
Gary,
We sailed from Texas across the Gulf to Florida and down to Georgetown. We have a small Grundig Short wave radio which receives SSB (approx $100.00). With a free download from JVcomm32 we were able to connect the headphone plug of the radio to the microphone jack of the laptop and download weather faxes of the Caribbean everywhere we went.
Have fun,
Dave
Panama Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas