Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 12:39   #1

Boat: Cambria 46
Week sailing in Exumas

I'm chartering a cat from Navtours in July out of Great Exuma and wondered about good anchorages in the southern part of the Exumas. It's been a while since I've sailed the area, but am familiar with Warderick Wells, Staniel, Little Farmers and Rudder Cut. Any other good suggestions would be appreciated, especially as more seem to be private now. Places to eat also. Thanks.
gussers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 13:07   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Week sailing in Exumas

Lots of good anchorages not many spots to eat once you leave GT. Your best bet is to get Pavlidis' guide to the Exumas. With only a week you will not get to wander too far.
Old 11-06-2014, 15:11   #3

Boat: Tartan 34C

You can still anchor off a private island, but don't go ashore. The big issue, now as then, is finding flat water in a never-ending breeze. Especially when the wind gets to S thru W to N.
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 19:59   #4

Boat: Hobie Cat

We did the same trip last June on Moana. Our first overnight anchorage was Black Point Settlement.
Well protected and beautiful location. The 2nd day we made way to Big Majors, next to Staniel.
Again, a well protected anchorage where you can explore the island, dinghy over to Thunder Ball Grottoe,
and enjoy Staniel Cay Yacht Club for dinner. We did manage to travel up the Pipe Creek Area to Compass,
Which was my favorite.
twalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 22:01   #5

Black Point sounds quite a way for the first day. I have anchored there and Staniel, but Compass sounds like a good recommendation. Thanks
Old 14-06-2014, 06:11   #6

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

The Explorer Charts website has a section called Bahamas Chatter which is a good source of current information.
Old 14-06-2014, 06:38   #7

The middle and northern portions of the Exumas are more approachable than southern portion, because of the shallower depths on the leeward side and fewer cuts as you go south, unless you have a shallow draft boat. Isacc Bay, just north of little farmers is a beautiful isolated beach and protected from the trade winds.
dMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 09:26   #8

Week sailing in Exumas

Having just got back, I can recommend anchoring off the central part of Lee Stocking Island. The usual anchorage at Little Farmers is usually at the south end of Great Guana, but if you have less than 6 feet draft, I recommend anchoring right off Ty's Sunset Bar and Grill near the runway on the west side. Great beach and place to eat and drink.
At the southern end of the Exumas (before Georgetown), the cut into Black Cay is easy as is the most southerly one at Soldier Cay. Good place to anchor close to Rolleville, and the beach bar south end of the town.
dMAC, I did anchor off Isaac Bay, but hadn't thought about your recommendation at the time.
Anyone in the Staniel Cay area should try the secluded beach on the NW tip of Little Majors. It's not in any guide book but I took the dinghy through the cuts and followed in the catamaran. Plenty of water.
Hopefully no one reads this!!! It is private.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-07-2014, 11:18   #9

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I place I really enjoyed gunkholing was the area from Square Rock Cay down to Soldier Cay. Several places to have a Cay and beach to yourself if that has any appeal. Not very deep draft friendly. With 4.5 feet, I needed tide in one or two places.

Not far north of Georgetown.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 11:42   #10

There is a clearly visible dark deeper grassy route down from Black Cay to Soldier Cay. You're right, not many people get behind the Cays that far south.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
exumas, sail, sailing