Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 10:52   #1
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
What islands to stop at and what islands not to stop at that is the question?Carib-

I’m in the planning process of sailing from Cypress to Florida & wanting to do it as cheap as possible, avoiding marinas as much as I can , but also stopping and taking in the sights on my way- and getting resupplys along the way-

Once i cross the Atlantic (perhaps with the ARC)where would be a good place to start, What islands to stop at and what islands not to stop at that is the question?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:34   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: What islands to stop at and what islands not to stop at that is the question?Cari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I’m in the planning process of sailing from Cypress to Florida & wanting to do it as cheap as possible, avoiding marinas as much as I can , but also stopping and taking in the sights on my way- and getting resupplys along the way-

Once i cross the Atlantic (perhaps with the ARC)where would be a good place to start, What islands to stop at and what islands not to stop at that is the question?
Sounds like you'll be headed for St Lucia?

Going north from St Lucia, you should definitely plan to spend some time in Dominica. Knowing your love of fresh fruits and vegetables, I'd bet you'll find Dominica to be a paradise. Anchor in Prince Rupert Bay and choose one of the Indian River Guides to work with (we liked Martin Carierre, call sign "Providence" on VHF, very much). Take some hikes in the rain forest. Martin will climb trees in the wild and shower you with oranges, grapefruits, avocados, papayas...you name it. Visit the only Carib Indian reservation in the Caribbean. Martin can also guide you through the Saturday market in Portsmouth, where you can load up on all sorts of fresh produce and fish at the best prices in the islands.

Just had to get that said!

Get out of Rodney Bay ASAP and head north. There's not much there to attract me, anyhow.

The French islands aren't inexpensive, but the restaurant food is good, and so is the provisioning. Nice spots to stop are St Anne's, Martinique, and Les Iles des Saintes and Deshaies, Guadeloupe.

Antigua isn't cheap, either, but Nelson's Dockyard is a must-see if you like history, and there are a lot of picturesque anchorages on the east and northern sides of the island. There's a very nice supermarket at Jolly Harbour, on the west coast. C&I have offices in Jolly Harbour, so you can clear out there.

After Antigua, you can visit Nevis, St Kitts, Statia and Saba. Each has it's own distinct character. Save your provisioning for St Martin, an easy reach up from Saba.

BVI's are worth visiting, but be prepared for a much more "touristy" experience, with lots of charter boats.

Lots more to say, but others will chime in. You should have a great time!
Old 02-05-2012, 12:00   #3
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: What islands to stop at and what islands not to stop at that is the question?Cari

Thanks Hud thats very helpful Im looking forward to hearing more!!
Old 02-05-2012, 14:39   #4

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

HI, You want to do it cheaply and do the ARC???
Last time we went over, we went Canaries to SXM, From there its easy to head to FL, and anchor the whole way along...
We will probably be in the Canaries together, unless you do the ARC, we plan to arrive after they have left. IMHO the ARC leaves too early, they all want to be home by xmas.
Look forward to seeing you, and if you come past Mallorca and were still here, say Boo will ya?
Old 03-05-2012, 00:40   #5

My two cents for Guadeloupe: we found it very nice for European provisioning (though they couldn't get the croissants and pain au raisin quite right in places we've tried), better so than St Martin (both sides). But for good provisioning in Guadeloupe you gotta go to the large supermarkets, easiest by car (or bus there, taxi back). There's also a market in the city centre waterfront that's worth visiting.

Also we really enjoyed a drive around the island with stops to swim at some waterfalls, views of the shoreline, and a gorgeous hike up to the volcano - must take the camera with you, just watch for days when it's not cloudy up there.

We stopped at Pointe-a-Pitre for easier access to the city, buses, and car rentals. To leave, you can take Riviere Salee to cross Guadeloupe for a bit of adventure: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...upe-79186.html
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 00:42   #6

Adding to original question: why do people usually skip Barbados?

It seems that the easiest way to visit it would be at the end of the Atlantic crossing.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:44   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
Adding to original question: why do people usually skip Barbados?

It seems that the easiest way to visit it would be at the end of the Atlantic crossing.
perhaps something to do with a crap anchorage,expensive,noisey on land,officious officials,and the worst of british tourists!

if you like benidorm this is the place for you!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:10   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll

perhaps something to do with a crap anchorage,expensive,noisey on land,officious officials,and the worst of british tourists!

if you like benidorm this is the place for you!
I would unfortunately agree.

Dave
Old 03-05-2012, 19:53   #9

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"

I would not miss Martinique or Guadeloupe and the Saintes. I agree that Nelson's Dockyard in Antigua is a great bit of history.

The reason there are so many tourists in the Virgin Islands is because they are wonderful. While there this year we saw whales, swam with several Manta Rays (as well as other rays) and feasted on lobster. The best snorkeling and diving in the Eastern Caribbean.

If you are traveling to the east coast of Florida be sure to spend some time in the Exuma, Bahamas.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:49   #10

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

This years ARC is already full with 260 entries so don't plan on that. Bruce.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 13:12   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Hi Ram,

Hope you are doing still OK since we last met in Marmaris. I did this year the Caribbeans and am on my way back to Marmaris. Yr question has one answer; it all depends on yr expectations and taste..
Here are my favorites:

St Lucia-Marigot
St Vincent-Wallalabou and Toboga Cays
Dominica (anywhere..)
Guadaloupe- Marie Galante-St François-İles de Saintes-Deshaies-Point a Pitre
Martinique-Trois ilets (you can easily skip the entire island, the most antipathic people by far in the Caribbean)
St Martin-nothing attractive but the right and probably the only right place in the area for any maintenance/repair on yr boat. Excellent provisioning of any kind..
Antigua-British harbour
BVI-excellent anchorages everywhere. Too many charter boat traffic. Very little room for anchoring if you don't want to pay a 25 USD per night to mooring balls. Marinas charges for the cat 1,5 to 2,5 USD per feet..(water+electricity is extra)
The food is terrible and awfully expensive. Stay away of any kind of repair / maintenance there; the guy called Richardson took from me 1.660 USD for changing 3 ropes..

I would definately stay away from ARC; waste of money and time. And they leave far too early and running into trouble almost every year with trade winds.. Plan to be in the Canaries just after they left and make yr preparations quitely to not to leave before Xmas..

Good luck

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 17:57   #12
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Hi Ram,

Hope you are doing still OK since we last met in Marmaris. I did this year the Caribbeans and am on my way back to Marmaris. Yr question has one answer; it all depends on yr expectations and taste..
Here are my favorites:

St Lucia-Marigot
St Vincent-Wallalabou and Toboga Cays
Dominica (anywhere..)
Guadaloupe- Marie Galante-St François-İles de Saintes-Deshaies-Point a Pitre
Martinique-Trois ilets (you can easily skip the entire island, the most antipathic people by far in the Caribbean)
St Martin-nothing attractive but the right and probably the only right place in the area for any maintenance/repair on yr boat. Excellent provisioning of any kind..
Antigua-British harbour
BVI-excellent anchorages everywhere. Too many charter boat traffic. Very little room for anchoring if you don't want to pay a 25 USD per night to mooring balls. Marinas charges for the cat 1,5 to 2,5 USD per feet..(water+electricity is extra)
The food is terrible and awfully expensive. Stay away of any kind of repair / maintenance there; the guy called Richardson took from me 1.660 USD for changing 3 ropes..

I would definately stay away from ARC; waste of money and time. And they leave far too early and running into trouble almost every year with trade winds.. Plan to be in the Canaries just after they left and make yr preparations quitely to not to leave before Xmas..

Good luck

Yeloya
Thanks Im good ! Getting it all together so I can slowly make my way to the Miami area, stopping at as many worth while places as I can on the way back ! Thanks to you & everyone for the great info here !