Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2021, 10:19   #16
JAU

Boat: Jeanneau Odyssey 45
Re: Where to spend a week sailing in the Bahamas

Please check the weather history, if you go to the Bahamas in February you will be very disappointed. The water temp is toooooo cold to enjoy. When looking at chartering look at peak rental times, there is a reason it's cheaper to rent in February. I like BVI just before they change their pricing to peak season which is the end of March. Also keep an eye on Covid restrictions. Make sure you can get your money back if things change. Remember there has been hurricane damage the last few years, yes they are rebuilding and need your dollars but you have to be creative in your provisioning and expect high prices since everything is brought in. Eat in the restaurants they need your business.
JAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:22   #17

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Two issues. 7-10 days are not long enough to see much sailing in Bahamas. You are correct the Abacos are not much different than Space or Treasure Coast of Florida where I live. February can be cold and seas rough.

I too would recommend the American or BVI for several reasons. I go to the Bahamas most every summer and have for years but the Abacos are nowhere near ready for a trip like what you want. As of July they are still way behind one the after Dorian rebuild. Ok for me but if you are trying to entertain a group. Some islands still have few or no restaurants and limited shopping for trinkets souvenirs.

No such thing as nightlife except maybe a bar at a Marina pool and just a few more scattered about. Nothing like before Dorian.

I’m not saying for people to avoid the Abacos - just not on a short trip with couples looking for vacation type entertainment.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 12:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanderbucks View Post
Two issues. 7-10 days are not long enough to see much sailing in Bahamas. You are correct the Abacos are not much different than Space or Treasure Coast of Florida where I live. February can be cold and seas rough.

I too would recommend the American or BVI for several reasons. I go to the Bahamas most every summer and have for years but the Abacos are nowhere near ready for a trip like what you want. As of July they are still way behind one the after Dorian rebuild. Ok for me but if you are trying to entertain a group. Some islands still have few or no restaurants and limited shopping for trinkets souvenirs.

No such thing as nightlife except maybe a bar at a Marina pool and just a few more scattered about. Nothing like before Dorian.

I’m not saying for people to avoid the Abacos - just not on a short trip with couples looking for vacation type entertainment.
Six of the previous 7 restaurants on Green Turtle Cay are reopened, plus two new ones, so that characterization post Dorian might be a little dated at least for some places? I didn't see the OP looking for nightlife, but the Abacos were never (and hopefully never will be) a place for that.

As far as the weather, it is luck of the draw in Jan-Mar You can have a week of 75 degrees and gorgeous or a week of windy 60s when a front comes through. By April though you're pretty much back to almost always having nice days.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 19:22   #19

Boat: Young 42

BVI is well set up for bareboat sailing charters, is much easier to sail (more easily accessible anchorages and snorkeling spots), and requires much less attention to navigational hazards than the Bahamas. Since you only have 10 days, and don't even know who your crew will be yet, I'd opt for the BVI, though as a sailor, I love the varied conditions and challenges of the Bahamas.
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 21:59   #20

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

If you have one week, would definitely recommend the Exumas, from Georgtown. Try to get a shoal draft boat or cat - this will help to extend the sailing and anchoring area. Also make sure the dinghy can carry the number of people (or most of...) you'll have on board, as it will be an important way to get to shore.
Old 07-10-2021, 06:19   #21

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Six of the previous 7 restaurants on Green Turtle Cay are reopened, plus two new ones, so that characterization post Dorian might be a little dated at least for some places? I didn't see the OP looking for nightlife, but the Abacos were never (and hopefully never will be) a place for that.

As far as the weather, it is luck of the draw in Jan-Mar You can have a week of 75 degrees and gorgeous or a week of windy 60s when a front comes through. By April though you're pretty much back to almost always having nice days.
Green Turtle, although damaged, luckily avoided much of the destruction that Dorian wreaked on the islands to the immediate south. When I was in GTC in early 2020 (before Covid forced me to sail back home), you could see a pretty clear line of demarcation where Dorian had passed to the south. GTC got out OK, Great Guana, Great Abaco, etc. not at all. As such, it is not surprising that GTC would be further along in recovery today than would the cays south of there.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:20   #22

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog2 View Post
Low Country, Where would you rent a boat that is accessible to Georgetown? Nassau is over 150 miles away. Thanks,

I believe that Sunsail has a branch operating directly out of George Town.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 06:54   #23

Boat: Beneteau 393

Sunsail has bases in St Marten, St Lucia and Grenada. Nice beaches and good food on all 3 islands.

I second weather concerns for north Bahamas. We spent March 2019 at Great Harbor Cay, Bahamas. Planned on staying a week, ended up there for a month waiting for a weather window to sail south. A front came through every 3-5 days w 25-40 knt winds.

Oh darn ������

Stuck in a fun well protected friendly marina, good food, great beach w beach bar an easy walk/bicycle ride from the marina. We went almost every day and rarely saw anyone else.
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 07:02   #24

Boat: Beneteau 343

If you haven't done the virgin islands, that would be my pick in terms of easy, warm, and beautiful. I am a fan of CYOA, out of St. Thomas. St. John is my favorite but British VI is nice as well.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 07:06   #25

Boat: 35' sloop

I'm really surprised that the Barries or Andros were not mentioned.
There are marinas to stay at, the largest reef just east of Andros. Morgans bluff, Fresh Creek others further south. Nice history.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 07:07   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

It's tough to beat the Abaco's....the place has everything...and then some more...

Caveat though....hurricane Dorian really put a hurtin' on the Abaco's. This is a mixed blessing.
On the one hand not so many cruisers go there right now, so you'll have the place to yourself. This is the good part.
Many of the Abaco's ports of call, etc, are still only working at limited capacity, so fuel, groceries, bars, boat rentals, etc, may or may not be operational, or in limited supply, depending on where you are.

But...the Abaco's are just a hop, skip and jump from Florida...50 miles away...the Exuma's is a long slog, might take days to get there ..and back again.

For my money, the Abaco's have better diving. The Exuma's are prettier, and Georgetown is a big draw, but places to dine out are far and few between.

Well, it won't be summer time, but won't be that cold either. Diving with just a wetsuit top is no problem.

I know both areas like the back of my hand.
My vote...Abaco's.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 08:01   #27

Boat: Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender

Scott, I am supposed to sail from St Augustine to the Bahamas at the end of the month. We have three weeks to play and will be leaving the boat in Marsh Harbor to fly home on November 22nd. What weather and temperatures do you think we will experience? Our plan is to explore the Abacos.
Old 15-10-2021, 08:12   #28

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I have spent three winters sailing in the Bahamas. There is a temperature difference between Abacos and exumas but I never found it to be a big difference. The northers can blow in for a few days anywhere. If you charter from Nassau it’s a pretty long day sail to the Exumas and I would hate to be stuck in Nassau if the weather sucked. In the Abacos there are lots of nice places within short sails and lots of Variety. If your weather luck is bad at least you are in a nice place already. I have never had conditions that I didn’t want to sail in for more than two days. I would say give cruise Abacos a call and see what they tell you. Great service and advice from them and a good range of monos and cats to pick from.
https://cruiseabaco.com/
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 08:22   #29

I live due west of the Abacos on the florida coast, in Jupiter, and our winter weather is basically the same as the N. Bahamas. January through May can be unpredictable. Granted the weather no matter what the conditions are wonderful compared to the NE US. However, East Coast Florida/N. Bahamas can experience everything from 80 degree days in January to small craft advisories along with cold fronts. Twice we postponed our annual trip to the Keys because it was cold, windy and rainy, once in April and once in May. I used to spend a lot of time on Antigua and even that far south nigh-time winter weather required a sweater a lot of the time. But with that said, none of this info would prevent me from making the journey. One just needs to be adaptable and take what comes and enjoy the trip!
oceanluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 08:30   #30
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

consider staying or chartering out of SW Florida. nice clear water down there .. and less international hassle

Tags
Bahamas, sail, sailing