Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2019, 04:43   #16

Re: Where to spend Summer?

Dockhead! You're incorrigible! Remember, that's someone's livelihood.

I, too, loved cruising the Maine coast. Just remember to be precise about your navigation, as with Brittany, what's under the water is rocks.

Fair winds!
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 09:08   #17

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Both weeks of summer are nice in Maine. That's as long as you can deal with the overwhelming number of lobster trap floats.

Keep in mind that not every area is like this.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 14:35   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
God, isn't that obvious -- MAINE! And Newfoundland! Best cruising in the Western Hemisphere. You won't ever want to go South again after that.
Maine was the absolute worst cruising area we’ve ever encountered. I spent two months there last summer and will never go back. The food was terrible except for one meal we shared with friends from CF, foggy nearly every day... so we didn’t actually see much of anything, millions of lobster traps... so the rope cutter got a workout, rainy and cold... we never once put on short pants.

Basically.... it totally sucked. Maybe it’s OK for people who don’t know any better.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 14:56   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot / Venezia 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBack View Post
Guys and gals,

I'm hot. My boat doesn't have AC and I'm thinking about taking a jump up north to beat the heat.

I've never been north of Virginia though so it is all a mystery to me. Looking around it seems like every marina on active captain is always completely booked and full and charging literally 4 to 10 times the rates of marinas in the south. Is this accurate?

Anyone have advice on places that are cooler in the summer to spend a few months that can take a wide cat with "transients" (we will stay aboard).

Thanks for any help,
TAB
Nova Scotia and most importantly the Cape Breton Island with Bras d'or lake that you can access from the Atlantic through Saint Peter's canal (free). Tons of free anchorages and lot of nice people.
Cape Breton Island's Cruising Information Resource
scargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 14:57   #20

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Maine was the absolute worst cruising area we’ve ever encountered. I spent two months there last summer and will never go back. The food was terrible except for one meal we shared with friends from CF, foggy nearly every day... so we didn’t actually see much of anything, millions of lobster traps... so the rope cutter got a workout, rainy and cold... we never once put on short pants.

Basically.... it totally sucked. Maybe it’s OK for people who don’t know any better.
I am sorry to hear you had such a bad time.

I think it is safe to say that most of us have traveled and any place you go can have a bad spell. When I was in the Army, I remember one time we were on the tank ranges and in the field for over a month and it rained or snowed every day! This was in the summer and it was an area that was known for often being quite warm/hot.

There are always those exceptions that happen once in a while. I have been in places where it is normally nice and then for some reason, a summer is wet, or foggy, or hot and humid when normally it is nice. It's a bummer but usually it's an exception.

I still recommend Maine and suggest you give it another go, at least for a week or so, and see how you like it. In some ways it is like a restaurant. Every once in a while you get a bad meal, but usually it is not a recurring event.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 15:09   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
I am sorry to hear you had such a bad time.

I think it is safe to say that most of us have traveled and any place you go can have a bad spell. When I was in the Army, I remember one time we were on the tank ranges and in the field for over a month and it rained or snowed every day! This was in the summer and it was an area that was known for often being quite warm/hot.

There are always those exceptions that happen once in a while. I have been in places where it is normally nice and then for some reason, a summer is wet, or foggy, or hot and humid when normally it is nice. It's a bummer but usually it's an exception.

I still recommend Maine and suggest you give it another go, at least for a week or so, and see how you like it. In some ways it is like a restaurant. Every once in a while you get a bad meal, but usually it is not a recurring event.
There’s absolutely no way we’d ever waste one of our remaining summers on Maine. It would be the same experience as returning to a restaurant where we both threw up in the middle of our meal the previous time.

It won’t happen again.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 15:34   #22

My wife and I went to the coast of Maine two summers ago, though we were land-based. Some of the places would have been more easily accessible by sea.

Was awesome. Stayed until we got sick of eating lobster.

Don't know how you couldn't love that place.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote