Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2016, 04:29   #1

Arrow Where would you store a boat for a year on the east coast??

Can anyone suggest marinas capable of hauling out a 50' x 25' catamaran and storing at a low cost in the northeast USA from the Chesapeake on up? (far from the strong hurricanes)

Looking to store my cat for a full calendar year probably, while I go RVing to get a break from the boat.

Could be hauled out by travel lift or by semi/tractor trailer with jacks/stands at a boat ramp at the marina. Both options work.

Need low cost storage.

Currently deciding between storing in Jacksonville, FL or somewhere in the northeast. Open to all suggestions including... "why don't you just do this, you dope?" posts.

Reason for not wanting to store in Jacksonville are: severe thunderstorm wind events, hurricanes, ants, black widows. Too many vermin and wind events there.

But... maybe I should.

Just not sure the best spots.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 04:47   #2

Re: Where would you store a boat for a year on the east coast??

Note: a side benefit would be access to lower cost, skilled labor.

I need to have a ton of interior cosmetic work done. Full time work for a year fior someone. Mostly building cabinets, berths, heads out of pre made foam core, white faced or wood faced foam panels. Also using very thin foam panels as liners/ceilings/walls.

Nothing structural, just non structural partitions, cabinetry, etc.

Ideally, i could have this work done while on the hard for a year.
Old 21-04-2016, 11:34   #3

Boat: islandpacket

Check out Jennings Boat yard in Reedville virgina. There are several cats there I'm not sure of the size. They build boats and contractors frequent the place. Its just off the Bay just below the Potomac river. Cheapest place I've found. Really nice people. There is a large sailboat getting alot of interior changes done there. If intrested just pm me for info. I keep my boat there. $200 a month on a new 40 ft floating slip. Yard rates much cheaper. DIY allowed.
Old 21-04-2016, 12:22   #4

Thanks for the tip on Jennings. Will take a look right now.
Old 22-04-2016, 09:03   #5

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

If you can afford going further north, tries Gaines Marina on Champlain Lake, northern New York, almost at the Canadian border. Winter storage is 26$/feet for mono, not sure for cats.
Cold winter, no humidity, great staff with excellent service.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 09:12   #6

I would be very careful about having work done if you cant be there to inspect, advise or monitor every couple of days.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 11:10   #7

Boat: Freedom 32

Great Island Boat Yard in Maine... good craftsman, Maine quality, good prices...
CaptPFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 12:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would be very careful about having work done if you cant be there to inspect, advise or monitor every couple of days.
Sigh....

This is my biggest problem in life.

I can't run my business and build my interior out. I'm 60 hours a week on non boat work.

At my wit's end. It's one reason I need a year off.

How do other people get major fit outs done while working?

Literally, employees need to cut out pre-made foam/plastic and foam/wood panels, making non structural things like partitions, cabinets, berths and heads.

Foam panels and sikaflex 212. Just cut and glue...?

They will surely mess it up though. you're right.

How do other people handle this?
Old 22-04-2016, 13:44   #9

Boat: PDQ 44i

Think about the tax and insurance implications at your proposed boatyard.
If your insurance is like ours, the cost drops as the boat is stored further north, because the risk of being hit by a named storm decreases as one moves north.

Some states have high property taxes on boats and others have no tax on boats. Some only tax boats that are in the state on January first. You have to look this up or you may get socked with a big tax bill.

North Carolina fits the above criteria of lower insurance rates and no tax on a boat in NC. Check this yourself to be sure it is still true; it has been a few years since I left a boat in NC. Sadly, our favorite yard, Bennett Brothers in Wilmington can only haul up to 24 ft beam. Surely, though, there is some yard in NC that can haul you.

cheers
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 13:59   #10

Boat: Custom Build on Morgan West Indies 33 Hull

NC DOES collect property tax on boats.
polaris2.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 15:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewide View Post
Think about the tax and insurance implications at your proposed boatyard.
If your insurance is like ours, the cost drops as the boat is stored further north, because the risk of being hit by a named storm decreases as one moves north.

Some states have high property taxes on boats and others have no tax on boats. Some only tax boats that are in the state on January first. You have to look this up or you may get socked with a big tax bill.

North Carolina fits the above criteria of lower insurance rates and no tax on a boat in NC. Check this yourself to be sure it is still true; it has been a few years since I left a boat in NC. Sadly, our favorite yard, Bennett Brothers in Wilmington can only haul up to 24 ft beam. Surely, though, there is some yard in NC that can haul you.

cheers

I appreciate this reminder, thank you.

One thing I remember reading before with respect to taxes was they were not assessed if the boat was getting work done, lest they drive the marinas out of business.

I think it was the NY law that read like that.

I'm fairly set against the Carolinas because they are the most hurricane prone place in the country. Parts of Florida are less affected by hurricanes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PicsArt_1461362638050.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	122994  

Tags
east coast